Is there a place with a list of Princess North American ports which require tendering vs. berthing dockside?

Posted (edited)

If you look at the itinerary for any cruise on princess.com, it will identify the ports on that cruise with "(Water Shuttle Required, Wheelchair Access Limited)". If it does not have that note, then they are not planning on using a water shuttle.

A list of ports would not always be enough. Some ports may require a water shuttle for a larger ship but not for a smaller one.

Also a port may be able to dock two ships, but a third ship there at the same time would need to use a water shuttle.

Therefore, I recommend you look at the specific cruises you are considering and see which ports on those specific cruises require a water shuttle.

Note that the listing on princess.com only tells whether or not they are "planning" to use a water shuttle. Sometimes (not very often) things change, and they are not able to dock when they had planned in advance to do so.

Edited by NavyVeteran
  • Like 1

I lived in Monterey, but have not cruised there.  I would guess this is a tender port since there are no piers/docks that could accommodate a large ship.

By North America, do you also mean Mexico?  If so, Cabo San Lucas and Loreto use water shuttles.  

In Alaska, sometimes several ships are in town on the same day.  This may require tendering.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I lived in Monterey, but have not cruised there.  I would guess this is a tender port since there are no piers/docks that could accommodate a large ship.

By North America, do you also mean Mexico?  If so, Cabo San Lucas and Loreto use water shuttles.  

In Alaska, sometimes several ships are in town on the same day.  This may require tendering.  

Princess Cays (also in North America) requires a tender.

Newport, Rhode Island requires a tender.

Bar Harbor, Maine requires a tender.

Greenland is in North America and Nuuk, Qaqortoq and Nanortalik require a tender.

OP. What is your real question? What ports are you concerned about? Narrow down what you mean by North America? Just go to the itinerary you are interested in on the Princess web site. It will show which ports are planned water shuttle. Some ports are both. Depends on the number of ships at the time and the time of arrival. 

2 hours ago, skynight said:

OP. What is your real question? What ports are you concerned about? Narrow down what you mean by North America? Just go to the itinerary you are interested in on the Princess web site. It will show which ports are planned water shuttle. Some ports are both. Depends on the number of ships at the time and the time of arrival. 

The question asked is the question I am curious about.  Why do people so often think their is some ulterior motive.  North America should speak for itself.  It's been awhile since I realized that Greenland (thank you caribill) was a part of it but I would certainly put Canada, the U.S. and Mexico as what primarily constitutes North America.  This is basic geography.  And I'm interested in them ALL as I'm sure I will hit most all of them in the next 3-5 years, though not necessarily all with Princess.

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We've done a Coastal a couple of times and IIRC we docked in Santa Barbara. However, Catalina is a tender port.

Posted (edited)

Just remember that there are no guarantees that any of the information sources will be completely accurate for your trip.  If you have a port without a pier, then I guess it is pretty much guaranteed to be a tender port 😀.  On the other hand, some of the smaller ports may have a limited capacity and some ships may dock and others may tender. A previous poster mentioned some of the Alaskan ports.  I know Charlottetown PEI has dock space for only one ship.  The last time we were there, we had to tender.  Someone told us that ship with the greatest number of passengers gets the dock.  Other ports may have different procedures.

Edited by Jersey42
typo

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We've done a Coastal a couple of times and IIRC we docked in Santa Barbara. However, Catalina is a tender port.

I don't ever remembering docking in Santa Barbara. I do remember a very short tender ride.

The best way would be for you to pick the cruise(s) that you might be interested in and check their itineraries.  It won't take you long. Once you do it, you can report the results to the rest of us on CC.

DON

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Oops..forgot about those two.  Each time I've been to Santa Barbara, I've had to tender.  Once it was so bad that we thought we were going to lose the "doorman" as he hung on for dear life.  

Catalina's agreement with ships is that a certain percent need to be water shuttles that are run by Catalina businesses.  Thought that was very interesting.

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Oops..forgot about those two.  Each time I've been to Santa Barbara, I've had to tender.  Once it was so bad that we thought we were going to lose the "doorman" as he hung on for dear life.  

Catalina's agreement with ships is that a certain percent need to be water shuttles that are run by Catalina businesses.  Thought that was very interesting.

Yeah. I already heard about my faulty memory. It's been about 6 years since we did a Coastal.

Interesting all the other ports in "North America" that have been named. Never even thought of them.

• Like 1

My experience and observations from the west half of NA.  Obviously, the big ports like Vancouver, Seattle, SF, LA, SD have docks.

Skagway = docked

Juneau = docked (but tendering does happen due to too many ships)

Ketchikan = docked (but tendering does happen due to too many ships)

Victoria = docked

Nanaimo = docked

Experience is as follows

Astoria = docked usually, but tendered once

Monterey = tendered

Santa Barbara = tendered

Catalina = tendered

Ensenada = docked

Cabo San Lucas = tendered

Mazatlan = docked

Puerto Vallarta = docked

• Like 1

OK, here is what I can remember from the east coast plus HI and TX

Charlottetown PE - docked or tendered

Sydney NS - docked

Halifax NS - docked

Bar Harbor ME - tendered

St John NB - docked

Newport RI - tendered

Hilo HI - docked

Kauai HI - docked

Maui (Lahaina) HI - tendered

These ports are often cruise endpoints and have docks

Boston MA - docked

New York NY - docked

Brooklyn NY - docked

Cape Liberty NJ - docked

Baltimore MD - docked

Tampa FL - docked

Ft. Lauderdale FL - docked

Miami FL - docked

Galveston TX - docked

Montreal QC - docked

Quebec City QC - docked

Honolulu HI - docked

• Like 1

6 hours ago, san diego sue said:

I don't ever remembering docking in Santa Barbara. I do  the remember a very short tender ride.

Or it can be a long tender ride.  One year we we tendering into Santa Barbara and we ran into a large sailing class for beginners that to forever to clear the harbor entrance.  A long time bouncing around in the water.  But we did get there eventually

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

The question asked is the question I am curious about.  Why do people so often think their is some ulterior motive.  North America should speak for itself.  It's been awhile since I realized that Greenland (thank you caribill) was a part of it but I would certainly put Canada, the U.S. and Mexico as what primarily constitutes North America.  This is basic geography.  And I'm interested in them ALL as I'm sure I will hit most all of them in the next 3-5 years, though not necessarily all with Princess.

I would also include most of the Caribbean in N.A., plus Central America as far south as the Panama Canal, technically to the southern border of Panama.  And Hawaii.

Edited by Steelers36

25 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I would also include most of the Caribbean in N.A., plus Central America as far south as the Panama Canal, technically to the southern border of Panama.  And Hawaii.

I totally agree with your assessment and meant to mention Carribean and Bahamian ports and Hawaii in particular but the C.A. ones as well because most all of the cruises going to those destinations are emanating from North America and coming back to.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

OK, here is what I can remember from the east coast plus HI and TX

Charlottetown PE - docked or tendered

Sydney NS - docked

Halifax NS - docked

Bar Harbor ME - tendered

St John NB - docked

Newport RI - tendered

Hilo HI - docked

Kauai HI - docked

Maui (Lahaina) HI - tendered

These ports are often cruise endpoints and have docks

Boston MA - docked

New York NY - docked

Brooklyn NY - docked

Cape Liberty NJ - docked

Baltimore MD - docked

Tampa FL - docked

Ft. Lauderdale FL - docked

Miami FL - docked

Galveston TX - docked

Montreal QC - docked

Quebec City QC - docked

Honolulu HI - docked

Thanks for adding the New England/Eastern Canada ports.  Your list in conjunction with cruiseportinsider seems to encompass just about every port I'm curious about except maybe Portland Maine.  Portland anyone?

15 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This site seems to have it and I'm assuming even if the information is old, I'm assuming tendering is not something that should be too out of date.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/portlist.html

That list does NOT have it. They don't even list Monterey, Santa Barbara or Hawaii at all. I am sure others are missing.

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Santa Barbara is definitely a tender port. The posted lists have been good.

Hawaii

Oahu - Honolulu, dock

Maui - Kahului, dock

Maui - Lahaina, tender

Kauai - Nawiliwili (Lihue), dock

Big Island - Kailua-Kona, tender

Big Island - Hilo, dock