Jump to content

Ships to start sailing half capacity in August from Bayonne


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Just read an article that ships will start sailing at half capacity from Bayonne in August. It said ships with 6,000 capacity will sail at 3,000. How will they decide who will be sailing. I booked a sailing last year so is it who booked further out in that order?

 

BAYONNE, NJ - After extensive discussions with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, local and state health officials, and the Office of Emergency Management, Royal Caribbean is planning to sail its first cruise ship out of Port Liberty in Bayonne in August, TAPinto Bayonne has learned.

“Right now, we’re hearing the first ship will leave in August at half capacity,” said Mayor Jimmy Davis. “This means that if the ship can accommodate 6,000, then 3,000 will be allowed on board.”

Royal Caribbean suspended operations from Bayonne last March due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Edited by lauren0309
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm on the Sept. 5 Oasis sail and will be disappointed if I'm not cruising.  Fully vaccinated.   Also, to consider, how many of the Pax bookings are fully vaccinated.

 

🙏That is true.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I'm on the Sept. 5 Oasis sail and will be disappointed if I'm not cruising.  Fully vaccinated.   Also, to consider, how many of the Pax bookings are fully vaccinated.

 

🙏That is true.

We are on the 9/19 Oasis and are fully vaccinated. I hope to be in the lucky 1/2.

 

mac_tlc

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gretchengao said:

Hopefully they let people booked for July switch to an August sailing!!! 

Impossible to happen.  They will need to reduce the capacity on those already booked on the August sailings.  If they cut current bookings at 75% and need to get to 50%, then 1/3 of currently booked people will need to move.  The first slashing act should be to find out who is vaccinated.  All adults will probably need to be since the 5% unvaccinated should be kids under 12 that can't get the jab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gretchengao said:

Hopefully they let people booked for July switch to an August sailing!!! 

 

I imagine the existing sailings were fairly full, and they need to remove half of those folks, so I'd say odds are not in your favor

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Impossible to happen.  They will need to reduce the capacity on those already booked on the August sailings.  If they cut current bookings at 75% and need to get to 50%, then 1/3 of currently booked people will need to move.  The first slashing act should be to find out who is vaccinated.  All adults will probably need to be since the 5% unvaccinated should be kids under 12 that can't get the jab.

 

They would produce more revenue allowing adults to take those slots😉

 

Just sayin

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

They would produce more revenue allowing adults to take those slots😉

 

Just sayin

I'm assuming you're just saying because you don't have kids you're bringing, a bit self-serving. However, if you really look at it, I think the suite we buy with our son (who is 15 and has first shot anyways) provides them with a lot of revenue. Families are very high revenue generators, so not sure I agree with your assumption. Not that it affects us, but regardless. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, tcrandal said:

I'm assuming you're just saying because you don't have kids you're bringing, a bit self-serving. However, if you really look at it, I think the suite we buy with our son (who is 15 and has first shot anyways) provides them with a lot of revenue. Families are very high revenue generators, so not sure I agree with your assumption. Not that it affects us, but regardless. 

An adult that purchases alcohol, and plays in the casino is always a higher revenue generator than a minor. 

  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

An adult that purchases alcohol, and plays in the casino is always a higher revenue generator than a minor. 

Not if their parents do the same and need to keep them entertained. Kids don't take up separate space, and revenue per room is much higher. Pretty basic stuff. 

 

Of course if you want to pack 3 - 4 adults in the same room, then you have me.. And you'd deserve to be right, because I sure wouldn't be spending a cruise with 3-4 adults in a room unless it was their largest suite. 

Edited by tcrandal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tcrandal said:

Not if their parents do the same and need to keep them entertained. Kids don't take up separate space, and revenue per room is much higher. Pretty basic stuff. 

Kids do take up separate space, that’s the point here.  
The original point is “adults are higher revenue generators PER BERTH” 

I’m not advocating eliminating the kids, but the fact remains kids would be a revenue “hit”  on a restricted occupancy ship. 
That’s pretty basic math.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Kids do take up separate space, that’s the point here.  
The original point is “adults are higher revenue generators PER BERTH” 

I’m not advocating eliminating the kids, but the fact remains kids would be a revenue “hit”  on a restricted occupancy ship. 
That’s pretty basic math.

I think you're missing the point. People blowing thousands in the casino, also bring kids, and that attracts them to come for a whole family vacation that everyone will enjoy. There is a reason they added water slides and other family targeted amenities to Amped ships. This market is a majority of families.. You take a step up to Celebrity, and your statements would be valid. In this market, it differs completely from what Royal is marketing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lauren0309 said:

Just read an article that ships will start sailing at half capacity from Bayonne in August. It said ships with 6,000 capacity will sail at 3,000. How will they decide who will be sailing. I booked a sailing last year so is it who booked further out in that order?

 

BAYONNE, NJ - After extensive discussions with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, local and state health officials, and the Office of Emergency Management, Royal Caribbean is planning to sail its first cruise ship out of Port Liberty in Bayonne in August, TAPinto Bayonne has learned.

“Right now, we’re hearing the first ship will leave in August at half capacity,” said Mayor Jimmy Davis. “This means that if the ship can accommodate 6,000, then 3,000 will be allowed on board.”

Royal Caribbean suspended operations from Bayonne last March due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

🥰

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tcrandal said:

I think you're missing the point. People blowing thousands in the casino, also bring kids, and that attracts them to come for a whole family vacation that everyone will enjoy. There is a reason they added water slides and other family targeted amenities to Amped ships. This market is a majority of families.. You take a step up to Celebrity, and your statements would be valid. In this market, it differs completely from what Royal is marketing. 

You are missing the point. 
We are discussing a hypothetical scenario. 
 

The hypothetical is “on a 50% occupancy ship can the operator make more money on 2500 adults or 2000 adults and 500 kids”  

 

There is no doubt the answer is 2500 adults 0 kids. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You are missing the point. 
We are discussing a hypothetical scenario. 
 

The hypothetical is “on a 50% occupancy ship can the operator make more money on 2500 adults or 2000 adults and 500 kids”  

 

There is no doubt the answer is 2500 adults 0 kids. 

Yes, but whatever your opinion may be on the topic, I can guarantee you with no doubt that you would not see the first ship sailing with 2500 adults and no kids. I guess ultimately that will prove my point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was banking on my cruise getting cancelled and already made other plans.  2 adults and 2 small kids.  Crossing my fingers they offer us something nice to cancel or move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lauren0309 said:

Just read an article that ships will start sailing at half capacity from Bayonne in August. It said ships with 6,000 capacity will sail at 3,000. How will they decide who will be sailing. I booked a sailing last year so is it who booked further out in that order?

 

BAYONNE, NJ - After extensive discussions with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, local and state health officials, and the Office of Emergency Management, Royal Caribbean is planning to sail its first cruise ship out of Port Liberty in Bayonne in August, TAPinto Bayonne has learned.

“Right now, we’re hearing the first ship will leave in August at half capacity,” said Mayor Jimmy Davis. “This means that if the ship can accommodate 6,000, then 3,000 will be allowed on board.”

Royal Caribbean suspended operations from Bayonne last March due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

3000 passengers or the number of passengers plus crew plus entertainment or are the latter two category numbers deducted from the 3000.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Royal setting up these negotiations to sail with 1/2 capacity, did anyone consider that they could start with Odyssey of the Seas out of Bayonne in August? At present, there are no bookings and no dates "revealed" for the US when it arrives. I also think that they can easily cancel existing sailings of Oasis through August/September due to the negotiation requirement if they are truly booked beyond 50% presently. I would not put it past them to simply cancel, offer lift and shift and FCCs to start sailing with Odyssey or Vision or some other vessel. Just my opinion.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...