Advantage to book another cruise while on a cruise

Hi all,

Viking has a staff person onboard a cruise (at least the ocean ones) who can book you on another Viking cruise.  What is the enticement to booking it onboard as opposed to going home and booking it as you normally would?  I suspect you get a class upgrade (but I am not sure), but we already get a class upgrade by having done Viking cruises before.

Thanks!

On our first Viking Ocean cruise we booked for another cruise.  If you booked with a travel agent, the new booking goes to that agent.If you are thinking of finding another travel agent, do not book on board.  We received an OBC to us on our current  cruise and I ended up purchasing earrings to use up the OBC from the new booking.  Also the "special" savings were the same as I could if book after getting home. I really did not find much advantage to booking on board.

At this time, to get the cabin type and location we prefer we are booking 2023 cruises.

32 minutes ago, MSEm said:

I really did not find much advantage to booking on board.

I hope that Viking does not change the book on board perks when they resume cruising this month (in the UK) and in June (for the US market).

The on-board perks included an OBC for your current cruise, doubling the returning guests' discount, whatever special promos were on offer at the time, and most importantly pay in full 6 months out rather than a year or more.

I guess we will have to wait for those going to Iceland or Bermuda to find out what is on offer when we return to the high seas.

We booked 2 while on board during our 2018 Viking homelands  ( sadly, both have since been cancelled on us - they sold the Sun and repurposed the Venus 😢 )

By booking onboard, Viking was offering a reduced booking deposits for each  ( $250pp - instead of $500 pp) and received additional OBC to enjoy on current cruise, as well as some OBC for the upcoming cruises.  We also were able to get the 6 mon final payment for both.  After making the arrangements onboard, the rep them transferred the bookings to our TA.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We also booked a 2020 Alaskan cruise (sadly a victim of the pandemic) while on board in 2018. All the advantages mentioned above were on offer (low deposit, OBC for current cruise etc) but we were also given a free Silver Spirits Package.

We received a FCC for that cruise which we are using for one of the UK Shores cruises. Unfortunately the various perks were not reflected in the FCC.

Edited by arlowood

It seems that Viking Ocean has increased the "bonuses" for booking on board. 

Because we have more than 1 future cruise booked my TA requested that our full payments  be changed to 6 months in advance.

We have booked a total of 5  Viking cruises though 2023.  We booked early to get our preferred type of cabin and location. One is a BtoB on Great Lakes.  We booked very early so that we could have the same cabin for the BtoB. We also received the "Silver Spirits" beverage package as part of the early booking.

If Booking on board works for you then take full advantage of on board booking.

5 minutes ago, arlowood said:

but we were also given a free Silver Spirits Package.

Sometimes they add perks like this, but these things come and go.  Sometimes the perk is added because it is part of a deal already on offer (like the Silver Spirits promo that is going on this month). Sometimes, the perk is one that is added to certain certain sailings and you may have chosen one of those sailings.

But, the basic perks seem to have remained fairly steady over the past few years (OBC for cruise in progress, double Explorers discount, pay in full date (which, in any case, is different in the UK than the US)).

Hopefully, these perks will remain in place as we return to sailing.

I use a Viking agent and always got a similar deal if I booked within 10 days of disembarkation. I got a little more off the new cruise as I obviously didn't get OBC (or SBC as Viking calls it) on the cruise I just finished.

On the first Venus UK cruise and have booked on board for next year. Received extra £150  pp discount on top of usual £100 loyalty reduction, plus £100 pp credit on this cruise.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:37 PM, MSEm said:

I really did not find much advantage to booking on board.

Never did this yet with Viking, but have with other lines - I never saw much advantage to it other than the excitement, I suppose, of booking a cruise while on a cruise. I imagine sometimes an additional perk or two are added for booking while onboard, but usually my TA adds a few things anyway through AAA. 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, Squawkman said:

I use a Viking agent and always got a similar deal if I booked within 10 days of disembarkation. 

35 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Can one book a Viking River cruise while on a Viking Ocean ship ?

I don’t know about on board, but I’m pretty sure you can get something off river cruises within 10 days.

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Can one book a Viking River cruise while on a Viking Ocean ship ?

Yes, you can book any of Ocean, River or Expedition. We booked a River/Ocean combo while onboard Viking Sun.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:45 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Never did this yet with Viking, but have with other lines - I never saw much advantage to it other than the excitement, I suppose, of booking a cruise while on a cruise. I imagine sometimes an additional perk or two are added for booking while onboard, but usually my TA adds a few things anyway through AAA. 

If you usually book through a Travel Agent, the onboard agent will set up the booking that way so that whatever perks you’re used to getting you still do. (in our case it’s usually 600 “things” not just a few) 

On 5/20/2021 at 10:25 PM, ClevelandKid said:

Hi all,

Viking has a staff person onboard a cruise (at least the ocean ones) who can book you on another Viking cruise.  What is the enticement to booking it onboard as opposed to going home and booking it as you normally would?  I suspect you get a class upgrade (but I am not sure), but we already get a class upgrade by having done Viking cruises before.

Thanks!

We have done a Viking River Cruise, should we be able to receive a complimentary  1 cabin class upgrade? Example...  PV2 to PV1?

On 5/31/2021 at 4:23 PM, C-sea said:

We have done a Viking River Cruise, should we be able to receive a complimentary  1 cabin class upgrade? Example...  PV2 to PV1?

I believe the answer is yes - we have done only ocean cruises, but our second and third cruise we got a class upgrade.  Since the river cruises are in the same price range as the ocean cruises, I can't picture why they wouldn't.