New Vaccination policy on RCL

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Well, I know there's also data saying the majority of people who died from Covid had on average multiple (like 3) co-morbidities.  Just like with other illnesses, there will be people with no underlying issues (or none known), but a case like that is extremely rare, assuming the person was at least two weeks past their last shot.  We can't all go on living our lives in constant fear especially now that numbers are plummeting and the vaccine is working very, very well.  I'm waiting to see what restaurants here do when they go to full capacity in like 3 weeks.  Currently, one of our favorites has a sign up saying fully vaccinated don't need to wear masks, yet some still do.  Other restaurants we go to are still requiring them.  But, what happens once full capacity is allowed and people take them off at the table that's 2 feet from other tables?  

Here in PA we went to full capacity the day after the CDC announced no masks for vaccinated people.     Restaurants were packed this past weekend.    Since summer is upon us I hope a lot of the restaurants keep their outdoor dining option as I find it much nicer than sitting inside, if weather permits.     

Majority of stores in my area are still requiring masks.   Slowly some are starting to remove their signs from their doors.     Lowes does not require and I was there Sunday with no mask on and this woman passed by me and literally jumped back and stood squished up against a shelf for me to pass by with no mask on.     I felt like saying are you vaccinated?    Someone that afraid should probably be doing online ordering.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This article is quoting the efficacy from each vaccines EUA submission and has not allowed for post injection follow up and revision.

The article states that the two mRNA vaccines have a 90% efficiency in real life. However, the Moderna vaccine real life efficiency drops to 86.4% in real life efficiency for those people over 65 years of age.

3 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Agreed but I'll give benifit of the doubt since the break thru cases appear to be clustered together and often related to J&J, like the Yankies cases.

So glad I'm vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine! But, that is just me.

Just now, coffeebean said:

The article states that the two mRNA vaccines have a 90% efficiency in real life. However, the Moderna vaccine real life efficiency drops to 86.4% in real life efficiency for those people over 65 years of age.

Why do we care if it's 70 or 80 or 90 all of them are great.

45 minutes ago, dswallow said:

You unfortunately face an issue that Royal Caribbean seems to be unwilling to deal with. Your son cannot begin to be vaccinated until he turns 12. But immediately after he turns 12 he now falls into a category where Royal Caribbean only permits him to sail if he's fully vaccinated.

Royal Caribbean needs to account for that window between the date one becomes eligible to be vaccinated and the minimum time thereafter one could be fully vaccinated. And even that comes with the expectation that the appointment for the first dose can be obtained for the birthday date.

Now, that said, there seems to be some reliance by Royal Caribbean that these requirements are coming to them from others, such as governments. But at the same time, it's still an insurmountable window for that entry age group when vaccination is allowed and someone needs to accept that it needs to be directly addressed. Maybe the answer is just going to be "sorry, you're out of luck" but it's unfair not to explicitly say one way or the other, either, up front.

Wish J&J had its vaccine for kids.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChutChut said:

I think so. Hedging its bets in case FL law goes forward thru court challenges. If it does, no cruise line can mandate vaccine verification out of FL.

Does that ridiculous law include the airlines needing proof of vaccination for people traveling to countries that require proof of Covid vaccination to enter their countries? Did DeSantis figure that one out when he penned his EO which is now a Florida law?

Edited by coffeebean

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Here in PA we went to full capacity the day after the CDC announced no masks for vaccinated people.     Restaurants were packed this past weekend.    Since summer is upon us I hope a lot of the restaurants keep their outdoor dining option as I find it much nicer than sitting inside, if weather permits.     

Majority of stores in my area are still requiring masks.   Slowly some are starting to remove their signs from their doors.     Lowes does not require and I was there Sunday with no mask on and this woman passed by me and literally jumped back and stood squished up against a shelf for me to pass by with no mask on.     I felt like saying are you vaccinated?    Someone that afraid should probably be doing online ordering.

Here in NY they also dropped the mask requirements. So I went into BJs and HD without a mask. Not only was I pretty much the only one without a mask, I can't tell you how many dirty looks I got. It's really a mental thing vaccinated people need to get over with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BND said:

My BIL caught Covid a couple of months ago.  He got sick a couple of days after his first shot so he had no real protection yet.  He got pretty sick, required hospitalization and oxygen. He's doing great now and back to exercising and working.  Anyway, his wife got J&J a few weeks before he got sick.  She didn't catch it.  I'm curious how the J&J population numbers would come out if everyone was tested.  The only reason we know about the Yankees is because of testing as only one player apparently had any symptoms at all.

Very good point. The J&J vaccine does keep people from developing symptoms if they have a break through infection. that vaccine certainly is keeping people from hospitalization also. In other words, the J&J vaccine is doing its job.

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Does that ridiculous law include the airlines needing proof of vaccination for people traveling to countries that require proof of Covid vaccination to enter their countries? Did DeSantis figure that one out when he penned his EO which is not a Florida law?

If you had read the law or the EO then you would have seen that there's an exception that would allow for that.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dswallow said:

You unfortunately face an issue that Royal Caribbean seems to be unwilling to deal with. Your son cannot begin to be vaccinated until he turns 12. But immediately after he turns 12 he now falls into a category where Royal Caribbean only permits him to sail if he's fully vaccinated.

Royal Caribbean needs to account for that window between the date one becomes eligible to be vaccinated and the minimum time thereafter one could be fully vaccinated. And even that comes with the expectation that the appointment for the first dose can be obtained for the birthday date.

Now, that said, there seems to be some reliance by Royal Caribbean that these requirements are coming to them from others, such as governments. But at the same time, it's still an insurmountable window for that entry age group when vaccination is allowed and someone needs to accept that it needs to be directly addressed. Maybe the answer is just going to be "sorry, you're out of luck" but it's unfair not to explicitly say one way or the other, either, up front.

unfortunate, sure but i think 12 year olds traveling in august are the last thing Royal is thinking about right now....  after all, in september they all belong back in school.   and as a responsible parent would you really bring an unvaccinated person that you were responsible for on a cruise ship with some of these germ bags that say they are going to do whatever they can to cheat the vaccination order.  

Edited by ericfromri

7 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

If you had read the law or the EO then you would have seen that there's an exception that would allow for that.

Oh. Good to know. I am aware of some exceptions but forgot about the airlines. Thanks.

But.....so far, DeSantis has stated he will not make an exception for the cruise lines. Why on earth would he do that when cruise lines call on foreign countries which also may require Covid vaccinations to enter their country.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The other day I asked Manager at my local Shoprite why are masks still required he said because the store owner's family member that was vaccinated just passed away from covid and he is now paranoid and does want his employees or customers without masks in his store.    The mgr. said he had no idea if the person was high risk or any other illnesses.    But like you said everything else I have heard and read show a very low chance of catching covid.    

There are some stores and other businesses maintaining masking requirements simply because it is hard to manage a "if you're vaccinated" rule.  We all know that relying on the honor system is not the best way to go, and when you have, for example, only 20% of patrons wearing a mask in a state that has a 30% fully vaccinated rate there is a lot of dishonesty going on.  That's how COVID can continue to spread.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

There are some stores and other businesses maintaining masking requirements simply because it is hard to manage a "if you're vaccinated" rule.  We all know that relying on the honor system is not the best way to go, and when you have, for example, only 20% of patrons wearing a mask in a state that has a 30% fully vaccinated rate there is a lot of dishonesty going on.  That's how COVID can continue to spread.

Then there are still those who insist that masking does NOTHING to stop the spread of this virus. I'm not one of those folks, BTW.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Oh. Good to know. I am aware of some exceptions but forgot about the airlines. Thanks.

But.....so far, DeSantis has stated he will not make an exception for the cruise lines. Why on earth would he do that when cruise lines call on foreign countries which also may require Covid vaccinations to enter their country.

He can say anything he wants at a press conference or a talk show but he knows that the bill was dead until there was a compromise that would allow the cruise industry to survive. 

I called Royal today and was told that vaccines would be required for our November Allure cruise out of Florida.  I asked about a refund for those in our party who were not getting the vaccine.  No refunds will be given only FCC.  This is beyond frustrating.   Granted we canceled before cruises were all stopped last year so no refund option then either.  So for those who have FCC but not getting vaccinated you will be out the money.  Maybe they will update their policy at some point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tiffany102282 said:

I called Royal today and was told that vaccines would be required for our November Allure cruise out of Florida.  I asked about a refund for those in our party who were not getting the vaccine.  No refunds will be given only FCC.  This is beyond frustrating.   Granted we canceled before cruises were all stopped last year so no refund option then either.  So for those who have FCC but not getting vaccinated you will be out the money.  Maybe they will update their policy at some point.

November is after the CSO ends. I wouldn't worry about that yet.

4 minutes ago, Tiffany102282 said:

Always remember that if you call CS 4 times you will get 4 different answers. I would never accept that answer without some more digging.  This is when a TA really earns their commission. I would try again and again. 

On 5/21/2021 at 10:58 AM, sandebeach said:

I just checked the promo email from this morning and saw the same message. Does not state for only US cruises.  

We are are Adventure out of Nassau 8/14 and already know we will have to be vaccinated, so we bit the bullet and got the shots.  So we are done.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tiffany102282 said:

Or maybe they'll just come to their senses and get vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Always remember that if you call CS 4 times you will get 4 different answers. I would never accept that answer without some more digging.  This is when a TA really earns their commission. I would try again and again. 

No one knows what is happening come November. No one. There is absolutely no point in calling to badger a customer service rep over something like this. Nothing productive is going to come from the conversation. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I heard on the local news this morning from a Dr. at Penn Medicine saying that by end of year children younger than 12 should be able to get vaccinated.     Maybe the timing will work out for your Son.   🙂

I am hoping for this, and that Canada will shorten the duration between doses by then. His pediatrician today said he thought they should lower it to 10 soon, but I don't know what he was basing it on. At least I will have mine! First dose already but a few more weeks until the second. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coffeebean said:

So glad I'm vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine! But, that is just me.

I'm glad I got pfizer, but would have been just as happy with moderna too.

Probably why the US is giving away J&J to the cruise ship crew as we must have an abundance of it.