Royal confirmed in Alaska

On 5/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, Ashland said:

My thought was...someone (no online checkin done) showing up has booking number all required documents in hand but has no proof of a vaccine....What then ?

if they dont have proof of vaccination then they dont have everything required to board and would be turned away. 

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

On our upcoming Alaska on Serenade our Itinerary takes us to Sitka, Icy Point Strait, Juneau and Ketchikan.  We are only duplicating two from our  previous cruise to Alaska, Sitka and Juneau.  What is disappointing about Icy Point Strait?

We did a excursion with https://www.brownbearlodge.com/

Brown Bear Lodge Wildlife Excursion 

57 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

On our upcoming Alaska on Serenade our Itinerary takes us to Sitka, Icy Point Strait, Juneau and Ketchikan.  We are only duplicating two from our  previous cruise to Alaska, Sitka and Juneau.  What is disappointing about Icy Point Strait?

I like ISP.  We have had whales bubble feeding right next to the ship at the dock.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

I like ISP.  We have had whales bubble feeding right next to the ship at the dock.

Saw alot of that there while we were there in Mid-May a few years back.

It's amazing how low the water gets there during the day when the tides goes out, makes the ship look like it's beached.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

34 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

Excellent whale watching tours from Icy Point Strait also, plus some lovely forest/shore walks. Also really interesting port area constructed around the old cannery. 

We didn’t have time for the zip line - it looks excellent. 

We did have time for some beer and crab at The Office Bar though 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's a done deal -- Biden has signed the bill.  Alaska is on this summer!

https://newsnationusa.com/news/usanews/washington/biden-signs-bill-that-marks-big-news-for-seattles-cruise-industry/

Not exactly.  The CDC can still rain on everyone's parade .  

Edited by ryano

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

Is there a time period that the bill is in effect? Just this cruise season?

I believe the the waiver is good until Canada lifts its ban on large cruise ships, which currently is set to expire on Feb. 28, 2022.

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

The good news here, IMO is that this bill got through....and if necessary, it can be extended or modified in the future.  There were man savvy people who declared that a modification to PVSA in ANY form would be impossible.  It just goes to show that when Congress WANTS to do something, they can get it done.  It's been a very long time since they've done anything worthy of their pay, IMO.  Useless tyrants, for the most part.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Not much in the way of excursions available so far in the cruise planner.  They have only listed a couple in Ketchikan so far...  

Perhaps excursions to Diamonds Intl & Del Sol will fill in for all the others where they can't find staffing. 😉

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:38 PM, Tree_skier said:

Not much in the way of excursions available so far in the cruise planner.  They have only listed a couple in Ketchikan so far...  

Lot's of Americans come up from the states  and work the whole summer for help on those excursions, both land based excursions and cruiseline excursions.

I'm sure it's going to be really tough to have someone come that far for just 6 weeks of work.

Probably going to be limited excursions at best.

Edited by Jimbo

I found some great content from a crew member aboard Serenade or the Seas.  She certainly seems confident about the return to service and it sounds like the first wave of staff have come aboard and are now quarantining. 

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I found some great content from a crew member aboard Serenade or the Seas.  She certainly seems confident about the return to service and it sounds like the first wave of staff have come aboard and are now quarantining. 

Are you planning to share it? 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I've been following her vlogs as well and it's very encouraging!! Looking forward to our cruise on Serenade on July 26th. 

• Like 1