Questions about taking non-alcoholic beverages on board

Euby

We received a copy of the new HAL Cruise Contract from our TA and there are some changes concerning what and how much Non Alcoholic beverages you can bring on board.  Corkage fee is now $20 USD per bottle.  This is  the paragraph dealing with this.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.

• For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items for future segments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present their documentation for any consecutive sailings to security on boarding day.

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rajkr74 said:

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

Thanks for the update.

22 minutes ago, rajkr74 said:

We received a copy of the new HAL Cruise Contract from our TA and there are some changes concerning what and how much Non Alcoholic beverages you can bring on board.  Corkage fee is now $20 USD per bottle.  This is  the paragraph dealing with this.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.

• For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items for future segments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present their documentation for any consecutive sailings to security on boarding day.

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

thanks so much for confirming.

A big change on only being able to bring non alcoholic beverages on board on embarkation day.  Before it could be brought on in ports too.  

I wonder what they deem to be excessive wine.  After all, when one is in Europe, there are lovely wines to be had 😉 

2 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Unfortunately, it has become a security issue with plastic bottles.

David

Security issue?  Would you mind to elaborate David for me please?

Do you mean the fear of explosives?

I suspect that alcohol is too easily added to bottle contents and that security personnel have no way of testing the legitimacy of the label versus the contents...nor do they have time to do so.

Cans are almost impossible to compromise, and cartons will generally show visual evidence of tampering.

While not likely to contain explosives, certain flammable liquids could be concealed, but that is not my point.

I hope this is a reasonable explanation, based on my personal experience and not that of Holland America Line.

David

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I suspect that alcohol is too easily added to bottle contents and that security personnel have no way of testing the legitimacy of the label versus the contents...nor do they have time to do so.

Cans are almost impossible to compromise, and cartons will generally show visual evidence of tampering.

While not likely to contain explosives, certain flammable liquids could be concealed, but that is not my point.

I hope this is a reasonable explanation, based on my personal experience and not that of Holland America Line.

David

Thanks kindly, David.

I never thought of smuggling, in all honesty. 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks kindly, David.

I never thought of smuggling, in all honesty. 

Carnival Corporation (which holds HAL) is under orders from a Federal judge to submit plans to reduce pollution of the seas.  Included in those requirements is that all Carnival Corporation owned ships must reduce/eliminate disposable plastic products.  This has caused the elimination of such items as individual toiletries in disposable plastic bottles, balloons and even plastic straws.

This may also explain the ban on bringing plastic bottles onboard.  Carnival needs to show the judge they are taking steps across all of its brands that will satisfy the judge.

Wonder how HAL is going to handle water, which is almost always in plastic containers?  Will they sell such onboard?

The new rules are not a biggie for us, as once you reach 4 or 5 star the 50% minibar discount makes sodas and water not worth the hassle of bringing such onboard in carryons.

6 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Wonder how HAL is going to handle water, which is almost always in plastic containers?  Will they sell such onboard?

Very good question.  Pre-Covid, there had been discussions that one would get a reusable water bottle and there would be watering stations placed around the ship.  There was also talk of using re-usable cups for soft drinks with dispensers on board.  Post Covid, all that may change for health and safety reasons.  We'll just have to wait and see what Carnival comes up with.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

The new rules are not a biggie for us, as once you reach 4 or 5 star the 50% minibar discount makes sodas and water not worth the hassle of bringing such onboard in carryons.

I think I remember HAL experimenting with 'cans' of water prior to shutdown.

Also, the reason I ever brought soda onboard was that I like Mountain Dew and HAL is a Coke product only company.

I just checked what’s available for our upcoming cruise in September.  As part of the beverage offerings, HAL has two water items.  The first package has 12 aluminum bottles that contain 16 ounces of water ($49.56).  The second features six one liter glass bottles of spring water ($28.32).D764A5F7-32E9-4E5A-B733-4FE56C42E922.jpeg.5be1f32b6e024724f6e2aa24df6b4309.jpeg9318AD86-E53A-4213-8E6D-AAA00572EB3F.png.058068f85c099c48ca58b4d0227a46da.png

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

This is a great time for the cruise line to step in and say 

Because of COVID passengers will not be allowed to bring drinks aboard.

Besides, we have beverages aboard and are in business to make money

Easy way to make more money - blame the government or Covid!

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Easy way to make more money - blame the government or Covid!

They haven’t made any money in almost 2 years. Now they’re going to let people schlepp cases of soda and water aboard 

stupid business model

2 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

The first package has 12 aluminum bottles that contain 16 ounces of water ($49.56).  The second features six one liter glass bottles of spring water ($28.32).D764A5F7-32E9-4E5A-B733-4FE56C42E922.jpeg.5be1f32b6e024724f6e2aa24df6b4309.jpeg

Interesting that the small print on the aluminum bottle reads "sustainable packaging for plastic free oceans"  From that, I would gather that this is all about complying with the orders from the Federal court.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

They haven’t made any money in almost 2 years. Now they’re going to let people schlepp cases of soda and water aboard 

stupid business model

Schlepp cases??  Where is that coming from?  Did you even bother to read the notification that was so kindly posted?  The limit is 12 (one case) of non alcoholic beverage which is limited by size and the container it is in.  Sheesh!

• Like 1