When will river cruises restart in Europe? Here's the latest

Host Jazzbeau

And CroisiEurope have announced their restart plans as well. The Douro on 7 June, followed gradually by the other rivers: https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/croisieurope-plans-gradual-resumption-of-operations

A French website mentions the date for the Rhine being 2 July.

The German company Phoenix Reisen is also getting ready. First river cruise will be on 17 June leaving from Frankfurt and sailing on Main, Rhine and Moselle.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

This is very promising news. However, I believe that I will wait until 2022 to book another river cruise - I want things to revert to pre-pandemic levels (I fervently hope this is possible).

I have absolutely nothing booked at the moment! All of my friends have trips planned.

• Like 1

I have Nov. 22 booked for 7 nights on the Danube and then land trip to Munich, Wurzburg, Karlstadt and Frankfurt--Had this booked two years ago.  I just called Viking Air and made reservation.  I hope this nasty COVID stays away!!!  My husband and I are now a bit hopeful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

@rcaruso - hope you will post about your experience if your cruise is a "go". I would love another Christmas Market cruise but will wait until next year before booking anything.

I will, but my 11th Viking cruise--we do not generally go on the packaged tours as we have been to these places, so I hope we are allowed to go off on our own.

Over the weekend we used our Ponant credit (from the cruise which was canceled last November) to book a 7-day RT from Nice. It's actually on the same ship that we were supposed to sail on for that canceled cruise. The itinerary is a circumnavigation of Corsica, with a focus more on scenery rather than cities, though we do stop in a few areas of civilization. I hope we have a chance to pick up some wine to take home; have only tried a few from Corsica but they are hard to get around here.

Should be fairly un-crowded and relaxing. And the scenery in Corsica is supposed to be beautiful. We have only done one more typical cruise ship stop here in Ajaccio, years ago, so we are looking forward to a more in-depth look.

We're flying out a weekend after Labor Day. DL has a direct flight to Nice on DL this summer, so it's super convenient. Definitely looking forward to using our passports again!

• Like 3

I think I have got one. I actually do not know as I have not needed one for twenty years. We are all on ID cards in my neighbouring countries, but Britain will switch to "entry with passport only" for EC citizens soon. With the renewed quarantine requirements I will not need ID card or passport to cross the channel for a while... Must try and find my vaccine "passport" soon, should have it ready for the "big day" - whenever it may come.

Forgot to mention yesterday that we have big outdoor events and zoos and parks are open. But they are all limited entry and you have to observe social distancing. The Federal Horticultural Show in Erfurt is a big hit, it is a loosely controlled environment but obviously outdoors. It is more like a huge park but with admission fee rather than an event, so works under the circumstances.

Website is only in German, but you can watch videos (with the sound off if you like) of the gardening: https://www.buga2021.de/pb/buga/home/gartenschau/buga+live_

Unfortunately, Erfurt is not near a river cruise port, but it is an interesting city in the Middle of Germany (sort of). Nice for a detour of a day or two.

By the time river cruises will be up and running again, restrictions will have been lifted further, but expect controlled entry to sites, social distancing and mask-wearing throughout the Summer.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
edited for content and info

52 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Enjoy your European idyls looks very much that we won’t be joining you. CA

I am sorry. It is disheartening and frustrating.

To be honest, I think if we start travelling again soon, we will just spread the Indian variant around without knowing. I imagine this American guy sitting in Heathrow in transit and taking it to New York...

Idyl? Perhaps next year, this year just trying to find our way back to a half decent life.

notamermaid

Notamermaid your right there. I live in a county that has no incidence of this variant. 
We have this huge dispute about the handling of the pandemic made worse by one man, why are doing this now and not waiting until the sky’s are clearer. Regardless non of our politicians have walked away, I wouldn’t like to walk a mile in there shoes. CA

• Like 1

Looks like we'll be on the initial Danube cruise! We're happy; didn't want to delay it another whole year. (And we hope the cruise staff will be falling over each other in their efforts to make everything right, because we expect there will be a reporter or two at every port.)

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.03.56 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to see cruise lines opening up this summer, but disappointed that many aren't requiring passengers to be vaccinated.  I wouldn't want to be on a boat for a week with unvaccinated people.

We are booked on Scenic on Sept 10th for Normandy & Gems of the Seine. I believe they are requiring all passangers to be vaccinated (we are) but that might change, hopefully not. Looking forward to it!

Grand Circle Travel has announced these cruises. All crew will be vaccinated and all pax must also be vaccinated. 

River Cruises