Need a betting pool on how soon after cruising resumes before the first offended review at how it's all gone downhill

KmomChicago

19 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I think this one is actually fairly common. People embark and complain that they have a view of the dock or the terminal, not the ocean.

May be common, but is still dumb..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

And IMHO, there are WAY too many people that look for reasons to complain..

No matter how petty it may be, everyone has the right to their opinion, preferences and feedback. When there are 3,000 people onboard, that creates 3,000 unique experiences that aren't replicated. Many aspects of a vacation are subjective and what is important to someone may not be important to another.

When I sailed on the Carnival Destiny back in 2010, I had an amazing time whereas another poster left a scathing review of that exact voyage. I didn't understand how it could be so different at the time but a few years later, the roles were reversed when another poster loved the Carnival Miracle and my experience was horrible enough to turn me away from Carnival for 7 years. As a result of this pushing me to other lines, my expectations when traveling are now considerably higher. 

I've had many trips that were excellent, many that were good, many that were okay and a few that sucked. Both land and cruise -- it is what it is.

Edited by xDisconnections

18 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

...another poster loved the Carnival Miracle and my experience was horrible enough to turn me away from Carnival for 7 years. As a result of this pushing me to other lines, my expectations when traveling are now considerably higher. 

Two key components to living your best life - happiness and longevity... a key component to happiness: "expect less and you'll be less disappointed". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

May be common, but is still dumb..

I agree.  One of the CDs told me they handled a complaint where someone said this. You really do have to wonder how some people actually got to the ship in the first place, and by got there I mean survived a long enough life to somehow end up on a cruise vacation at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

No matter how petty it may be, everyone has the right to their opinion, preferences and feedback.

I've had many trips that were excellent, many that were good, many that were okay and a few that sucked. Both land and cruise -- it is what it is.

All true. For me, even the worst trips have been amazing and they get better in my memory. Even when there is something to grumble about, and of course there often is, IF I remember it, it becomes humorous over time and may end up being one of my favorite memories. 

I darn well nearly killed myself, my teenager, and one of my best friends on a spring break trip to Iceland because, in spite of a ton of research about weather and driving conditions, I rented an eensy car and found myself, the day we were flying out and so we had to be back at the airport THAT DAY (it was also the day WOW Air ceased operations, coincidentally), driving up and down MOUNTAINS IN A BLIZZARD right next to the ANGRY CHURNING North Atlantic Ocean. 

Also a bowl of soup costs, like $20 there and that's a cheap restaurant meal. So I could really grumble about the crappy late March weather and the expensive food and nearly indescribable horrible weather or I could be enormously grateful not to have slid to our doom off a cliff, to have made the flight, to have chosen Icelandair instead of its competitor, and to have had the means to take my kid to a place as weird and wonderful as Iceland in the first place. Like the privileged people we are. 

As for "trusting" other reviews, I never really thought of that. If people think they hate it, I trust they really do. If they think they love it, I trust they really do. As Sparks says, you have to actually notice irritations to experience them, and I think I just don't sweat the small stuff. I think the reviews from people who hated their experience are usually pretty hilarious.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Yes but why over many years in my childhood did we have a TV show about a cruise ship called The Love BOAT?

awww i loved that show

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Yes but why over many years in my childhood did we have a TV show about a cruise ship called The Love BOAT?

If you think the naming being "Love BOAT" vs "Love SHIP" (try to say that three times fast with a straight face) is the most inaccurate element of that show, well, I got some explaining to do for ya...

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If you think the naming being "Love BOAT" vs "Love SHIP" (try to say that three times fast with a straight face) is the most inaccurate element of that show, well, I got some explaining to do for ya...

Unfortunately so true. I was horrified to find out the ship staff don't really fall in love with all the passengers. But as I was young and assumed the grownups what named the show knew their English, I thought the vessel was accurately named a boat.  

If you think that's bad, you should have seen what happened when I became a summer camp counselor up in the North Woods of Wisconsin one summer in college because I thought it would be exactly like the movie Meatballs.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Because the creators and writers had no clue (spoken from a guy with 24 years U.S Navy, and 25+ 'civilian' cruises under his belt). 🙂

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

All ships are boats. Prove me wrong.

Not possible to prove or disprove, but common usage suggests you are mistaken.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/boat

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boat

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/boat?q=Boat

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/boat

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

All ships are boats. Prove me wrong.

I thought so too but as noted by broberts, the dictionary says otherwise. I thought every floating vessel was properly under the general umbrella of boat but apparently size matters.

I wonder if people who are working with their little kids and grandkids correct them in the picture books? What's that, Brayden? BOAT!  No, Brayden! That's a ship!

Edited by KmomChicago

17 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

All true. For me, even the worst trips have been amazing and they get better in my memory. Even when there is something to grumble about, and of course there often is, IF I remember it, it becomes humorous over time and may end up being one of my favorite memories. 

I darn well nearly killed myself, my teenager, and one of my best friends on a spring break trip to Iceland because, in spite of a ton of research about weather and driving conditions, I rented an eensy car and found myself, the day we were flying out and so we had to be back at the airport THAT DAY (it was also the day WOW Air ceased operations, coincidentally), driving up and down MOUNTAINS IN A BLIZZARD right next to the ANGRY CHURNING North Atlantic Ocean. 

Also a bowl of soup costs, like $20 there and that's a cheap restaurant meal. So I could really grumble about the crappy late March weather and the expensive food and nearly indescribable horrible weather or I could be enormously grateful not to have slid to our doom off a cliff, to have made the flight, to have chosen Icelandair instead of its competitor, and to have had the means to take my kid to a place as weird and wonderful as Iceland in the first place. Like the privileged people we are. 

As for "trusting" other reviews, I never really thought of that. If people think they hate it, I trust they really do. If they think they love it, I trust they really do. As Sparks says, you have to actually notice irritations to experience them, and I think I just don't sweat the small stuff. I think the reviews from people who hated their experience are usually pretty hilarious.

I am just curious why you think you are privileged? I assume your family worked and saved for the things you wanted to do?

44 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

I am just curious why you think you are privileged? I assume your family worked and saved for the things you wanted to do?

I feel privileged to have benefited from many luxuries I had no part in developing or, for a long time, paying for. Indoor plumbing, air conditioning, modern medicine, plentiful delicious food are just a few examples of life advantages and comforts we now consider necessities, though most of humanity lived before they even existed. I am from a place and time where I have enjoyed these during my entire life. I feel overwhelmingly privileged to have my freedom. My standard of living is vastly better than millions or billions of others today, much less prior generations. I am fortunate I am not a caveman with a life expectancy of 30 and all of those years a struggle for simple survival. I think of these things every single day and never take one minute for granted.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, d12j28 said:

My response above is merely scratching the surface. I could name dozens more ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I feel privileged to have benefited from many luxuries I had no part in developing or, for a long time, paying for. Indoor plumbing, air conditioning, modern medicine, plentiful delicious food are just a few examples of life advantages and comforts we now consider necessities, though most of humanity lived before they even existed. I am from a place and time where I have enjoyed these during my entire life. I feel overwhelmingly privileged to have my freedom. My standard of living is vastly better than millions or billions of others today, much less prior generations. I am fortunate I am not a caveman with a life expectancy of 30 and all of those years a struggle for simple survival. I think of these things every single day and never take one minute for granted.

Well said! I call this reappreciation and whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself, having a pity party, or simply not being my best, take myself by the ear and remember these things. Reappreciating your blessings and acknowledging them always snaps me right back. Turning on the news also brings thankfulness and reappreciation on quickly.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1