Baltic Cruise-May or September?

We are looking at the 9 day Baltic cruise for 2023.  Wanted to know what others thought about doing this cruise May 17th or September 2nd?  Which would most likely be less crowded, not just on the ship but also in the ports?  Weather? Any other advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

We are looking at the 9 day Baltic cruise for 2023.  Wanted to know what others thought about doing this cruise May 17th or September 2nd?  Which would most likely be less crowded, not just on the ship but also in the ports?  Weather? Any other advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

I did this cruise 4 years ago this week and thought the weather was great. It was actually hot in Germany and I had no warm weather clothes.  Best way I can describe the other ports was mild.  I took a denim jacket and was fine in most ports (but I did wear it daily).  A rain shower in St. Petersburg one day, but mostly sunny. Coldest day was in Helsinki, which was expected. Layers is the key.  Highly recommend this cruise and May as the time to go.

• Like 1

We went in May 19 and weather wise, it couldn't be better. Ports were busy but not crazy busy. I think there were 3 or 4 other ships who all do the routes/ports at same time cos we would see them in each port.

September will be the end of school holidays.

The issue you will have is that once cruising gets back to whatever normality, bookings will be busier than ever. People want to go away and do things they won't have been able to do during lockdown. Plus remember there will be people with cruises moved to a newer date or have FCC to use up

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, gatorchinsky said:

We did this cruise September 2019 on the Getaway.  Had 2 pre-teens with us.  There were hardly any kids aboard.  Not sure how accurate, but one crew member told us normally there were about 1,000 kids aboard, but less than 100 on our cruise.  The ship was maybe 2/3 full (I don't recall the number of PAX).  Only had 2 days that the kids could hit the slides and swimming pools.  The weather was always sunny or overcast, but cool (mid/low 60's).  Several ships docking in tandem, I remember bumping into the Viking crowd quite often.  Weather was perfect for shore excursions.  Only one day ashore with rain, and that was in St. Peterburg (2 day stop)  After sundown, temps dipped to mid/low 50's sometimes lower.  Great itinerary for excursions.  St. Petersburg was amazing. Hermitage was insanely crowded but absolutely worth it.  I can only imagine whats its like at the high season.  We used independent tour operators for most ports of calls.  I suspect we got really lucky with the weather, so I would advise the old boy scout motto, be prepared.  Bring good walking shoes and assume you'll be walking on cobblestones the whole time.

Edit: Cruise departed 14 September 2019.

Edited by WarfRatWA
  • Like 1

I live in Sweden and for me I would prefer May because of the weather. In my experience, warm spring days are more likely than warm autumn days, and unfortunately September is autumn at least in Sweden. However, the difference would not be that much so I waoul be happy either of these months because of the low crowds. Most school breaks are from mid-June to late August so there wouldn't be many kids on either cruise. We did a baltic cruise in July 2019, and to be honest the crowds were fine. As someone mentioned the heritage is always crowded but all other ports (and the ship itself) are likely to be very calm in both May and September.

• Like 2