2 ships at Princess Cay

saryj

Very interesting. I went to cross-check on Carnival and Princess' actual websites (Carnival Liberty, leaving 12/27 and Sky Princess, leaving 12/28) since CruiseMapper might not always be accurate, and there really does seem to be a conflict. What I'd bet on is either Carnival or Princess tweaking either one of their itineraries as you get closer to the cruise to prevent the conflict so that the island won't be a mess. 

34 minutes ago, saryj said:

Cruisemapper says there is a Carnival ship docked with us (on Sky Princess) on Dec. 29.  I’m kinds concerned.

I don't think it will happen. Maybe one will be there in the morning and the other later but I think cruise mapper is probably wrong.

It was my understanding that only one ship would be Princess Cay at a time which is all it can handle.  I seriously doubt that Carnival and Princess has violated this rule.  Check the itinerary for the two ships, one on Princess and the other one on Carnival.  I would not trust any source other than the Princess and Carnival websites and itinerary.  

Cruisemapper isn't the only site showing multiple bookings at Princess Cays, Cruisetimetables does as well. I think I would ask Princess for clarification regarding this.  It  is especially important because Liberty is due to arrive at 8am and Sky is due to arrive at 9am. Won't be much left after Liberty lets all it's passengers off first.   

I do agree that this isn't likely to happen, it can get crowded enough with one of the big Princess ships in port. 

5 hours ago, saryj said:

Just wondering if anyone has experienced two ships in port at Princess Cay?  Is it crazy crowded?

I have  been on over 35 Princess cruises and I never experienced two ships at Princess Cays.

Tony

• Like 2

If it happens stay on board.  There isn't enough space for two ship's passengers, plus the cruise line issue of how to sell drinks, serve food, rent cabanas, clam shells, sell tours and so on to two different cruise line's passengers. The CCL site shows the Liberty at Princess Cays on the 29th, the same day as the Sky Princess.  There are also other Carnival ships scheduled for Princess Cays on the 28th and 30th. No wiggle room there except that if the Liberty changes its itinerary to be there on the 28th or 30th it would be with other CCL ships. I think one of these ships will adjust their itinerary, probably Princess since it is sailing an 11 day cruise. Maybe sail in reverse order, add a different port or additional sea day. I would check with Princess on this. 

But, if each ships is at 50% capacity, it would be the same head-count as one full ship.

On the other hand, the 50% was an early CDC rule.  It has probably changed a dozen times,

and I haven't kept up.

41 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

But, if each ships is at 50% capacity, it would be the same head-count as one full ship.

On the other hand, the 50% was an early CDC rule.  It has probably changed a dozen times,

and I haven't kept up.

I think by December ships will be above 50%. Just my thinking. In any case two different cruise lines would seem to be difficult to handle on shore. 

AFAIK, they don't schedule more than one ship there.  I do recall one time recently - I think in 2019 sometime - where there were some Carnival and Princess conflicts and the order of ports was adjusted in the Bahamas (for the Carnival ship(s) involved), so that there were no longer conflicts.  IIRC, Carnival had stop in Freeport or Nassau as well as P Cay, so it was easy to move dates.  IDK the OP situation, but likely something will be done.  Or, someone knows ships are only half full.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:11 PM, saryj said:

Just wondering if anyone has experienced two ships in port at Princess Cay?  Is it crazy crowded?

Not Princess Cay, but been to Half Moon Cay a couple times with two ships.  It’s not ideal.  Way too many people to handle it properly.  Same thing with Grand Turk.  Have been there a few times with two ships and just not fun.  Hope this doesn’t become a trend.  

On 5/24/2021 at 12:14 AM, Lucky TGO said:

I have  been on over 35 Princess cruises and I never experienced two ships at Princess Cays.

Tony

I can agree with that.  Since it is a tendering location and a small docking area, I can't picture having two ships trying to load and unload passengers there.  In addition, there aren't enough facilities there to handle that many people.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 12:32 PM, Steelers36 said:

AFAIK, they don't schedule more than one ship there.

I have been to both princess cays, and grand turk with 2 ships.

Princess cays was two princess ships, and they were closely checking cruise cards before allowing people back onto tenders.

Grand turk was a princess ship, and a carnival ship.  Carnival had arrived earlier in the day.   There was a 1-2 hour

overlap with 2 ships, and Princess stayed later after Carnival left.

54 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I have been to both princess cays, and grand turk with 2 ships.

Princess cays was two princess ships, and they were closely checking cruise cards before allowing people back onto tenders.

Grand turk was a princess ship, and a carnival ship.  Carnival had arrived earlier in the day.   There was a 1-2 hour

overlap with 2 ships, and Princess stayed later after Carnival left.

Exception to every rule.  But there can be more than one ship at Grand Turk AFAIK.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Exception to every rule.  But there can be more than one ship at Grand Turk AFAIK.

Yes, the few times we have been at Grand Turk there were two ships there. It is one pier with a ship on both sides. No tender. Grand Turk is different than Princess Cays. You have to purchase everything from local businesses. Not like Princess Cays where food is included and beverages are charged to your ship account, or are included in your beverage package. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skynight said:

Yes, the few times we have been at Grand Turk there were two ships there. It is one pier with a ship on both sides. No tender. Grand Turk is different than Princess Cays. You have to purchase everything from local businesses. 

Unless you go to the jack shack, I don't think you are buying anything from 'local business'.

My opinion ... these are businesses that have entered into some sort of agreement with

carnival corp ... much like the recommended stores on other islands.

For instance, the liquor on Grand Turk is sold by 'Dufry'.

https://www.dufry.com/en/company

On 5/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, saryj said:

Cruisemapper says there is a Carnival ship docked with us (on Sky Princess) on Dec. 29.  I’m kinds concerned.

I wouldn't trust any cruise mapping app at this time.  There is no way they could know what ships are really going to be at any port in 6 months.

Posted (edited)

Right....  Do not simply go by what you are just seeing.

There can be errors and changes in itineraries!

Especially right now with all of these cruises being planned, then cancelled, etc...

There was some similar confusion on the last Princess Cruise we took.

The other ship's itinerary was adjusted.

Go directly to BOTH the Princess and Carnival web-sites and look at the current itinerary on these sailings.   My guess is that there has been some confusion or a slight itinerary change.

This might clear up any doubt!

Edited by Wishing on a star