Crazy Pricing?

I booked in January , 2020 a 10 day cruise on the Millennium for February 21, 2022 in the Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale. For fun I just checked the price for my cruise, in a Sky Suite as I have and the price was double what I paid and the suggested cabin was next door to me. Can this be real? I was going to book a 10 cruise for August 2022 out of Rome snd the prices just seemed very high. Is this happening on all cruises? 

There are still a few "deals" but they are getting much harder to find.  I have a S1 cabin on Constellation for a Jan 2022 sailing which is now selling triple what I paid, but I probably booked in late 2018 as it was a L&S from last year.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

I booked in January , 2020 a 10 day cruise on the Millennium for February 21, 2022 in the Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale. For fun I just checked the price for my cruise, in a Sky Suite as I have and the price was double what I paid and the suggested cabin was next door to me. Can this be real? I was going to book a 10 cruise for August 2022 out of Rome snd the prices just seemed very high. Is this happening on all cruises? 

No it is not crazy.

Look at this way last year DOW was 20000 and now is 34000

Edited by CAicruiser

I anticipate it is going to be like this until all the FCCs from cancelled cruises work their way through the system.  When that happens, supply and demand will balance out and hopefully more realistic pricing will return.  We love cruising, but being land locked for nearly 18 months has helped us find other options we will now consider for vacations.  Cruising may no longer be the default option if prices remain high.

• Like 4

We learned several years back, it's always best to book as early as possible, if you have the ability to do so regardless of cruise line. Then, we do fake bookings on each of our cruises every week or so. If the price goes down, we contact our TA and have the reduced fare applied to our booking, if it makes economical sense to do so. OTOH if the price goes up, then we sit back and feel good about booking early. Another perk with booking early is we usually get the cabin we want versus waiting until the last minute and get what's left over. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

No it is not crazy.

Everything is not directly tied to the stock market, A year and a half ago RCL stock was $135 per share, Friday it was $82.80. If it was following the market, like you say cruise pricing is, it should be pushing $200. Last year a gallon of milk was $2.49, yesterday it was $1.99. If it moved like cruise pricing it would be $3.50.

Terrible.  Celebrity and Royal significantly increasing future cruise prices.  I understand that they haven't been sailing for over 1 1/2 years- but do not take advantage of your loyal customers-  We will be trying AI resorts this summer- perhaps they will win us over .  

Celebrity, please do not take advantage of the pandemic.  Many of us have lost our jobs and surely haven't been given raises that compare to your increases.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

No it is not crazy.

Ehhhh, that was the horrible dip from 30,000 back down to 23,000 and then up again....

53 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Terrible.  Celebrity and Royal significantly increasing future cruise prices.  I understand that they haven't been sailing for over 1 1/2 years- but do not take advantage of your loyal customers-  We will be trying AI resorts this summer- perhaps they will win us over .  

Celebrity, please do not take advantage of the pandemic.  Many of us have lost our jobs and surely haven't been given raises that compare to your increases.

I don’t think they are taking advantage of the pandemic.  They took on a lot of debt with minimal revenue to stay alive the past 15 months and that debt has to be repaid.

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I don’t think they are taking advantage of the pandemic.  They took on a lot of debt with minimal revenue to stay alive the past 15 months and that debt has to be repaid.

It's also due to very high demand which X predicted would happen when things started to make the turn to eventual “normalcy”.

There’s also X's computer algorithms which steadily raise the prices as cabin inventory decreases.

It’s not just Celebrity. I have an NCL Iceland booked for next June that’s gone up $2500. If people are willing to pay it it will keep going up. 

45 minutes ago, paulajj said:

It’s not just Celebrity. I have an NCL Iceland booked for next June that’s gone up $2500. If people are willing to pay it it will keep going up. 

Yup - supply and demand 101.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I have been comparing Celebrity against similar cruise on Royal and Princess.  Celebrity's prices are the highest whether you get the perks (always included) or not.

Royal's prices are pulling us away from X.

Inflation is a factor.  The price of gasoline where we live is up about 30% since January.  Other prices are going up as well.  Local realtors tell me home prices have skyrocket, with our home value going up 25% in 1.5 years.   Builders say the price of lumber is up to three times what it was.

Cruise lines have likely been loosing money due to COVID19 shutdowns and perhaps trying to increase profits.  Also, as others have stated with the vouchers from cancelled cruises, prices may have increased.

33 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I have been comparing Celebrity against similar cruise on Royal and Princess.  Celebrity's prices are the highest whether you get the perks (always included) or not.

Royal's prices are pulling us away from X.

Inflation is a factor.  The price of gasoline where we live is up about 30% since January.  Other prices are going up as well.  Local realtors tell me home prices have skyrocket, with our home value going up 25% in 1.5 years.   Builders say the price of lumber is up to three times what it was.

Cruise lines have likely been loosing money due to COVID19 shutdowns and perhaps trying to increase profits.  Also, as others have stated with the vouchers from cancelled cruises, prices may have increased.

I agree with the one poster, I’ll go to all inclusive Sandals in the Caribbean for less than my suite. It could be adios Celebrity in the future and I’m an elite level  cruise. Watch out Celebrity, there are alternatives and you are now starting to piss off some of your regulars.

I've been pricing Alaska for  Sept, 2021. Princess, with all their perks, reg. balcony comes in at $4000.00 without ins. Royal, with no perks on the Ovation is around $3600 with just pre paid grats. Add another $900.00 or so for the drink pkg. HAL was $4400.00 plus grats, but including drinks. I realize that X won't release prices until tomorrow, but that gives me, and maybe some of you, an idea where X should be.

Here’s a question for the TA’s.  If a TA reserved group space early and there is still space available in that group space at a lower price.  Can someone still get a deal by booking that group space.

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Here’s a question for the TA’s.  If a TA reserved group space early and there is still space available in that group space at a lower price.  Can someone still get a deal by booking that group space.

Not sure I totally understand your scenario. If there is group space available there is nothing preventing you from booking it. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Not sure I totally understand your scenario. If there is group space available there is nothing preventing you from booking it. 

Sure I can book the group space but at what price?  Does the group space keep the original pricing or has It increased to the higher FCC inflated levels or is it at the original price?  If it’s the original price I still have a chance to book a reasonably priced cruise.

Posted (edited)

I think his question is if a TA had a group open on Solstice can that still be booked AND would the pricing be the same as before.

Edit:  And be moved to the Summit

Edited by wrk2cruise

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sure I can book the group space but at what price?  Does the group space keep the original pricing or has It increased to the higher FCC inflated levels or is it at the original price?  If it’s the original price I still have a chance to book a reasonably priced cruise.

The group rate does not change from the time the agency secured it. That's mostly why you'll sometimes see more expensive categories, especially C2's and C3's, priced quite a bit lower than lesser cabin categories. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212