Jump to content

Covid tests, denial of boarding - Stating the Obvious


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BBWC said:


The Bahamian government seems to disagree with you since you are allowed to enter and freely travel around the Bahamas without a test. And how would testing upon boarding the ship protect the local population?

 

For the same reason anyone (vaccinated or non-vaccinated) arriving in the US from an international location still has to provide proof that they do not have Covid-19 upon entering the US. And that is with a US population that is currently 50% vaccinated.  

 

Just for clarity, the Bahamian government has only waived the test for people who have been vaccinated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

At this point, I am still planning to take to the Bahamas cruise that is scheduled to depart from Nassau on September 18. I greatly miss cruising and think this should be an excellent cruise. Even though I have been to the Bahamas many times on cruises, this itinerary provides me with several new ports. I realize that there is some risk with these cruises, but I live in downtown Chicago and confront risks every day. I am fully vaccinated and not opposed to wearing a mask. At least I will be able to see if there are any issues with the first cruises in July before my final payment is due.

 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BBWC said:


The Bahamian government seems to disagree with you since you are allowed to enter and freely travel around the Bahamas without a test. And how would testing upon boarding the ship protect the local population?

Because the required testing prior to embarkation would catch anybody who was an asymptomatic carrier (and yes you can be a carrier even though you are vaccinated) or who had been dishonest about being vaccinated and has COVID.

 

I'm not sure what you don't understand?

The Bahamas are only about 1.5% fully vaccinated and have stringent mask rules for all venues. The only time you may go maskless is on the beach while social distancing. You must wear a mask when entering or leaving the beach, or riding on any type of transport.

Most of the Bahamian islands are currently under curfews as well. Cat Island and N and S Andros are currently shut down for 2 weeks due to a spike in COVID. Nobody is allowed to enter or leave those islands. 

So pay attention to what is going on in the Bahamas, especially New Providence. 

Hopefully they will be increasing the number of citizens vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sprigs616 said:

 

For the same reason anyone (vaccinated or non-vaccinated) arriving in the US from an international location still has to provide proof that they do not have Covid-19 upon entering the US. And that is with a US population that is currently 50% vaccinated.  

 

Just for clarity, the Bahamian government has only waived the test for people who have been vaccinated. 

Exactly....the paperwork to enter the US is actually  a little more than just proof that you don’t have Covid 19...although the actual test is the same it is  a different testing centre when the test is for travel purposes.   We flew into the US earlier this month from Canada to check on a property that we own. To board the plane  we each had to provide a “Fly Clear Certificate of testing for Covid19” from a RT-PCR result.  There is the lab report plus a certificate.  One is not valid without the other. ...all yours for $225 CDN each!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

Exactly....the paperwork to enter the US is actually  a little more than just proof that you don’t have Covid 19...although the actual test is the same it is  a different testing centre when the test is for travel purposes.   We flew into the US earlier this month from Canada to check on a property that we own. To board the plane  we each had to provide a “Fly Clear Certificate of testing for Covid19” from a RT-PCR result.  There is the lab report plus a certificate.  One is not valid without the other. ...all yours for $225 CDN each!!!

Yikes---that's steep.

We used Verifly (we fly AA) returning to US from Mexico last month and had only to hold up our phones showing our approved screen with photo on the app. This was done when we checked our bags--no further check at security or boarding the plane.

United and Delta each have their own apps for this as well.

Obviously, keep your paper certificate with your passport in the event the app fails.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

Yikes---that's steep.

We used Verifly (we fly AA) returning to US from Mexico last month and had only to hold up our phones showing our approved screen with photo on the app. This was done when we checked our bags--no further check at security or boarding the plane.

United and Delta each have their own apps for this as well.

Obviously, keep your paper certificate with your passport in the event the app fails.

 

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

Yikes---that's steep.

We used Verifly (we fly AA) returning to US from Mexico last month and had only to hold up our phones showing our approved screen with photo on the app. This was done when we checked our bags--no further check at security or boarding the plane.

United and Delta each have their own apps for this as well.

Obviously, keep your paper certificate with your passport in the event the app fails.

I thought it was steep considering that if one has symptoms and testing is required it is covered by our provincial health plan but they are trying to discourage travel. Same test. We had an essential reason. No app...just an email so I printed it. Since we were going to the US we had to show the test results at our first domestic flight check in, before we entered the “connections to the US” gate area, to the US immigration officer in Montreal and again at boarding our flight to the US.   Our  Covid documents were not airline specific but included our passport numbers which had to be shown at the  testing appointment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2021 at 12:11 PM, broker1217 said:

Good to know. Hopefully Crystal will give anyone who tests positive the opportunity to do a second test, even if at our own expense. 

If you have 2 tests, one positive and one negative, I would consider that ambiguous, not negative.  How would you know if it is a false negative or a false positive?  Especially if you just repeated the same test.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

If you have 2 tests, one positive and one negative, I would consider that ambiguous, not negative.  How would you know if it is a false negative or a false positive?  Especially if you just repeated the same test.

That's very true. So perhaps the option is that if you test positive---you have no second chance and you are not allowed to board.

But it is pretty important that we all know what the protocol is for a positive antigen test result. It's unlikely, but possible. Better to understand it than to be blind-sided.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

If you have 2 tests, one positive and one negative, I would consider that ambiguous, not negative.  How would you know if it is a false negative or a false positive?  Especially if you just repeated the same test.

 

Best two out of three?  😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

But it is pretty important that we all know what the protocol is for a positive antigen test result. It's unlikely, but possible. Better to understand it than to be blind-sided.

Absolutely!  Crystal should make this clear, but my assumption would be that if you test positive you will not board.  The only possible exception might be to follow a positive rapid test with a quick negative PCR test.  But somehow I doubt even that would get you on board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Absolutely!  Crystal should make this clear, but my assumption would be that if you test positive you will not board.  The only possible exception might be to follow a positive rapid test with a quick negative PCR test.  But somehow I doubt even that would get you on board.

Crystal has made the test very clear.

 

In the pre-cruise documents they highlight the special travel advisory section to read.

 

One of the items they highlight is guests will undergo a COVID-19 test on embarkation day and anyone testing positive will not be allowed to board the vessel.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Crystal has made the test very clear.

 

In the pre-cruise documents they highlight the special travel advisory section to read.

 

One of the items they highlight is guests will undergo a COVID-19 test on embarkation day and anyone testing positive will not be allowed to board the vessel.

 

Keith

Thanks for clarifying! Good to know. So any false positive will end your trip at embarkation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Thanks for clarifying! Good to know. So any false positive will end your trip at embarkation.

You are welcome.  Any positive real or false will prevent you from embarking.  As has been discussed testing continues to improve month after month with much more accurate testing reducing the chance of a false positive.  However, like most tests they are not 100% accurate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those worried about testing for coming home a new company has a at home test that you can use for your return trip. You do all the testing your self as long as you have internet and a deceive connected it takes you about a half hour to do. the price per test is fair . the company is E med dot com   We are going to use this for our return trip . The results are accepted for entry back into the USA  

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jdfireman said:

For those worried about testing for coming home a new company has a at home test that you can use for your return trip. You do all the testing your self as long as you have internet and a deceive connected it takes you about a half hour to do. the price per test is fair . the company is E med dot com   We are going to use this for our return trip . The results are accepted for entry back into the USA  

Thanks for sharing this.  

 

Crystal is making arrangements to have the testing done on day 6 of the Serenity cruises.

 

I read through everything on the site and it is impressive.  I think the concern I would have is the internet for a 30 minute video.  While you can do things like WhatsApp and Face Time using the ships internet I would be a bit concerned about doing a video call.  Last year there were some internet challenges on Serenity and not sure if it would have worked.

 

Again, what you've provided is great but I am unsure if the video call would work.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jdfireman said:

For those worried about testing for coming home a new company has a at home test that you can use for your return trip. You do all the testing your self as long as you have internet and a deceive connected it takes you about a half hour to do. the price per test is fair . the company is E med dot com   We are going to use this for our return trip . The results are accepted for entry back into the USA  

Just to clarify, this test is actually the Abbott Labs BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test, and e med is the digital platform and you will need the NAVICA app. 

Looks like an interesting option as it is a lower nasal swab, not nasopharyngal swab.

Personally, I will stick with whatever test Crystal is providing as I want to make sure I pass 'GO' at the airport. But I will watch what others use on the July cruises and keep this in mind as an option.

 

Here's more info:

https://www.globalpointofcare.abbott/en/product-details/binaxnow-covid-19-home-test-us.html

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really hopeful about the newly reported developments around dogs sniffing out Covid as a really accurate noninvasive test! Training seems to go well and as I experienced the dogs in New Zealand and in Peru (where I got caught with lunch leftovers in luggage) there is nothing like being greeted by a tail wagging well behaved dog after a long flight. Perhaps this will work out for the embarkations later this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2021 at 5:25 AM, Jdfireman said:

For those worried about testing for coming home a new company has a at home test that you can use for your return trip. You do all the testing your self as long as you have internet and a deceive connected it takes you about a half hour to do. the price per test is fair . the company is E med dot com   We are going to use this for our return trip . The results are accepted for entry back into the USA  

You do need an internet connection and enough bandwidth for a video call.  You likely will not have this on board and you will need to find same on shore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2021 at 6:02 AM, BWIVince said:


This is where I think we lose the forest for the trees sometimes because we’re so relieved that the vaccine takes the risk of death off the table for most patients…

 

Even if we accept at face value that the “danger” means death, who wants to spend their vacation with a moderate Covid infection (which is still a risk when vaccinated) because someone else flaunted the rules?  I seldom hear people being cool with catching norovirus from their shipmates in an outbreak and having it ruin their vacation, because they knew the virus wasn’t going to kill them, and they really needed some “me time” in their cabin anyway.

 

There seems to be confusion on why the CDC is handling its guidance different for cruise ships than its guidance for Walmart.  The two are apples and oranges.  (…and if that confuses anyone reading this because you’ve been living and cohabitating with other shoppers inside a Walmart for weeks straight just like on a cruise ship, please let me know so I can call and get you some help escaping.) 🙂

 

Vince

I would never confuse a Walmart and a Crystal ship for any number of reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering how long the pre board test takes to obtain results.  If you arrive at the ship 90 minutes before it sails will the results be available in time?  Has Crystal laid out the amount of time you MUST be at the port before boarding?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hubbards said:

Just wondering how long the pre board test takes to obtain results.  If you arrive at the ship 90 minutes before it sails will the results be available in time?  Has Crystal laid out the amount of time you MUST be at the port before boarding?

I'm sure your cruise docs will specify the time.

My understanding is that the antigen test will have results in around 15 minutes--someone else may have more definite information.

Boarding times will be staggered, obviously.

But this is not a ship to wander up to at the last minute, or cut your arrival flight too close.

We are arriving the night before so that we are available at any time the day of embarkation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hubbards said:

Just wondering how long the pre board test takes to obtain results.  If you arrive at the ship 90 minutes before it sails will the results be available in time?  Has Crystal laid out the amount of time you MUST be at the port before boarding?

Not sure how long the test takes.  

 

Number 4 of Cruise documents notes guest must be on board the ship 2 hours before ship leaves.

 

I do realize embarkation time for some guests is 5:00 PM and ship is supposed to leave at 7:00 PM so some might not physically be on at 5:00 PM depending on the time it takes for COVID-19 test and whatever else happens at the pier.  

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...