Buenos Aires some ideas on what to see and do.

DavietheScot

One of our best moments in Buenos Aires happened by accident.  DW and I were walking around town on a beautiful day and wondered into the La Boca area (where the Tango is rumored to have its roots).  Walking down a narrow street we came upon a nice looking outdoor cafe and stopped for some lunch.  Along came this beautiful couple (probably in their 20s) and they stopped near the cafe where the man turned on a "boom box" which started playing tango music.  The couple then performed the best Tango we have ever seen (better then what we have seen in some BA tango shows).  After about 15 minutes they did pass the hat (and did quite well).  One of those special moments that you can never plan.

Hank

• Like 4

Galleria’s Pacifico Mall in the Modero area for leather goods.  Our favorite shop was El Boyer.  We are hoping to spend a night or two in Buenos Aires again in January 2022 and I am bringing an empty duffle bag to buy leather goods.

the Mall itself if a treasure.  Really beautiful.

http://www.galeriaspacifico.com.ar/eng/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 8:46 PM, Heartfelttraveler said:

Galleria’s Pacifico Mall in the Modero area for leather goods.  Our favorite shop was El Boyer.  We are hoping to spend a night or two in Buenos Aires again in January 2022 and I am bringing an empty duffle bag to buy leather goods.

Good to know.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:08 AM, Hlitner said:

One of our best moments in Buenos Aires happened by accident.  DW and I were walking around town on a beautiful day and wondered into the La Boca area (where the Tango is rumored to have its roots).  Walking down a narrow street we came upon a nice looking outdoor cafe and stopped for some lunch.  Along came this beautiful couple (probably in their 20s) and they stopped near the cafe where the man turned on a "boom box" which started playing tango music.  The couple then performed the best Tango we have ever seen (better then what we have seen in some BA tango shows).  After about 15 minutes they did pass the hat (and did quite well).  One of those special moments that you can never plan.

Hank

Great memory it's those that make travelling so special.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in BA for several days.  We did the Tigra tour on our own.  Took the subway to the train, got the train, and bought a boat tour.  Very, very easy to do on your own.

We spent time in the BA cemetery. Very interesting.  Reminded us a little of the one in Havana.  Well worth a few hours. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/7/2021 at 4:08 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

We saw that in La Boca also; a couple of times. Fun, not spontaneous but still fun.

Edited by clo

THE FOOD!!!!!! We had an airbnb in Ricoleta and we'll stay there the next time also. I didn't know that BA had been settled by Italians and, boy, does the food show that. And so reasonably priced - good for us not for them. In the side street beside us we had a fresh pasta shop, bakery (took some goodies to our flight attendants. Oh, and a great Italian deli.

3 hours ago, clo said:

We saw that in La Boca also; a couple of times. Fun, not spontaneous but still fun.

Very true.  After a few minutes of inspired Tango (the best we have ever seen) out came the hat :).  The first time we went to BA their currency had become near worthless and the US Dollar was supreme.   Our hotel recommended a nearby restaurant that specialized in steak (no surprise in BA).  When we were ordering (both of us had the recommended filet mignon) I asked the waiter to recommend a very good malbec.  He quickly pointed me to one of the most expensive bottles which cost me about $18.  The wine was perfect as were the filets (they gave each of us two large filets big enough to feed several folks.  That entire meal (including the wine) cost us less then $50.

Hank

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

That entire meal (including the wine) cost us less then $50.

Somewhere I have a photo (???) but IIRC there was a steak - of course - and a house made pasta dish, a dessert and another of course, a bottle of malbec. For $30! And we had leftovers. Since we were in an apt. it reduced the cost even more. We want to go back but have to wonder when/if.

5 hours ago, clo said:

Somewhere I have a photo (???) but IIRC there was a steak - of course - and a house made pasta dish, a dessert and another of course, a bottle of malbec. For $30! And we had leftovers. Since we were in an apt. it reduced the cost even more. We want to go back but have to wonder when/if.

For your eyes only :).  It is shocking that some normalcy does exist which might give us hope.  We just returned from the sea front part of Chora (Naxos Town) on the island of Greece where DW and I enjoyed an excellent late night dinner at an outdoor restaurant.  When we left our restaurant is was just past 11:30pm and nearly all the restaurants (more then a dozen) were still packed with folks eating and drinking.  The street was full of other folks walking, talking, drinking, etc.  Very few were wearing masks and it was a gorgeous evening (temps around 80) on a popular Greek Island.  The government does require that anyone coming to these islands either prove they are fully vaccinated or have tested negative on a very recent COVID test.   During the day the beaches are packed, folks are having a good time, and there is little evidence of a pandemic other then a few folks who wear masks.

So what does this mean for BA and most other places?  I do not have a clue but both DW and I are very happy we sought out one of the few places in the world that is doing their best to allow normalcy (Mexico is another such place).  I am wondering what the future holds for much of the world but for now there are some options for those who have the risk tolerance, means, and spirit of adventure.  There are few absolutes in current times but one absolute is that time passed is time gone....forever.  We have cruises booked and trips planned into 2023 and cannot help but think that nothing COVID related will change in the next few years other then our tolerance to risk and willingness to learn how to live with this awful disease.

At the moment, cruising in Greece is an option and it appears to be working.  This guy (and his wife) want to shout out a thanks to the Greek Government and Seabourn for helping to make this trip a reality.  To see thousands of folks spending an evening out and about and seemingly enjoying themselves is more then precious in these troubling times.

Hank

On 8/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, Hlitner said:

For your eyes only :).  It is shocking that some normalcy does exist which might give us hope.  We just returned from the sea front part of Chora (Naxos Town) on the island of Greece where DW and I enjoyed an excellent late night dinner at an outdoor restaurant.  When we left our restaurant is was just past 11:30pm and nearly all the restaurants (more then a dozen) were still packed with folks eating and drinking.  The street was full of other folks walking, talking, drinking, etc.  Very few were wearing masks and it was a gorgeous evening (temps around 80) on a popular Greek Island.  The government does require that anyone coming to these islands either prove they are fully vaccinated or have tested negative on a very recent COVID test.   During the day the beaches are packed, folks are having a good time, and there is little evidence of a pandemic other then a few folks who wear masks.

So what does this mean for BA and most other places?  I do not have a clue but both DW and I are very happy we sought out one of the few places in the world that is doing their best to allow normalcy (Mexico is another such place).  I am wondering what the future holds for much of the world but for now there are some options for those who have the risk tolerance, means, and spirit of adventure.  There are few absolutes in current times but one absolute is that time passed is time gone....forever.  We have cruises booked and trips planned into 2023 and cannot help but think that nothing COVID related will change in the next few years other then our tolerance to risk and willingness to learn how to live with this awful disease.

At the moment, cruising in Greece is an option and it appears to be working.  This guy (and his wife) want to shout out a thanks to the Greek Government and Seabourn for helping to make this trip a reality.  To see thousands of folks spending an evening out and about and seemingly enjoying themselves is more then precious in these troubling times.

Hank

Could not agree more with those last comments fully believe its now time to live again. 

5 hours ago, DavietheScot said:

Could not agree more with those last comments fully believe its now time to live again. 

Tonight we strolled through the old town streets a Naoussa, Paros after finishing our dinner at about 11pm.  The narrow streets were packed, restaurants full (folks sit down to eat at 11pm), and masking was rare.  This is a rather upscale tourist city on Paros that attracts many younger folks (under 35) as well as a few of us seniors.  Like many of our pre and post cruise independent sojourns we choose to go to places not normally visited by cruisers or cruise ships .  I must admit to being somewhat amazed at how quickly Greece has moved past COVID lockdowns to something akin to normal.  It is a joyous thing to experience a part of the world that is trying to learn how to live with COVID rather then die with the pandemic.  Time will tell us if Greece made a wise decision but you would not find many on this island who has any doubt.  And it was the same on nearby Naxos (which we left today after a fantastic 4 day stay).

When we boarded the short ferry ride (about 50 minutes) from Naxos to Paros there was no vaccine certificate checks or any attention paid to the mandatory health forms.  While there is a lot of scrutiny at the ferry port of Pireaus, the Greek government seems to keep their vigilance centered on preventing the unvaccinated or untested from leaving the mainland for the islands.  But once on an island there is no hassle for those moving between islands.  This is good news for those CC folks planning to do their own island hopping in the near future.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, Hlitner said:

Tonight we strolled through the old town streets a Naoussa, Paros after finishing our dinner at about 11pm.  The narrow streets were packed, restaurants full (folks sit down to eat at 11pm), and masking was rare.  This is a rather upscale tourist city on Paros that attracts many younger folks (under 35) as well as a few of us seniors.  Like many of our pre and post cruise independent sojourns we choose to go to places not normally visited by cruisers or cruise ships .  I must admit to being somewhat amazed at how quickly Greece has moved past COVID lockdowns to something akin to normal.  It is a joyous thing to experience a part of the world that is trying to learn how to live with COVID rather then die with the pandemic.  Time will tell us if Greece made a wise decision but you would not find many on this island who has any doubt.  And it was the same on nearby Naxos (which we left today after a fantastic 4 day stay).

When we boarded the short ferry ride (about 50 minutes) from Naxos to Paros there was no vaccine certificate checks or any attention paid to the mandatory health forms.  While there is a lot of scrutiny at the ferry port of Pireaus, the Greek government seems to keep their vigilance centered on preventing the unvaccinated or untested from leaving the mainland for the islands.  But once on an island there is no hassle for those moving between islands.  This is good news for those CC folks planning to do their own island hopping in the near future.

Hank

Sounds perfect 

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, DavietheScot said:

Here are some ideas of what to see and do in the vibrant city of Buenos Aires.

http://happytravellingwithdavie.blogspot.com/2020/12/buenos-aires-south-american-city-with.html

Excellent post in your link, we did all the same things when we visited BA.  Loved the Tango Show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 8:46 PM, clo said:

THE FOOD!!!!!! We had an airbnb in Ricoleta and we'll stay there the next time also. I didn't know that BA had been settled by Italians and, boy, does the food show that. And so reasonably priced - good for us not for them. In the side street beside us we had a fresh pasta shop, bakery (took some goodies to our flight attendants. Oh, and a great Italian deli.

In case you’re still here, do you remember the name of the Airbnb you stayed at or the area of the pasta shop?

• 5 months later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, Heartfelttraveler said:

Well... this makes more sense... our tour pre-airport included 3 hours at a mall and I was like.... WHAT?!!  Now I get it.  Thank you!!!