Demographic on board Crystal Ocean cruise

SSCAF001

I will be on board the Serenity from August 15 to September 2, 2022 and was wondering what kind of people I should encounter during the cruise. Having previously sailed aboard Silversea the average age was rather senior which we like as we enjoy quietness. Should I expect something similar? Should the fact that the cruise is from mid August to beginning September attract many kids or most of them will already be back to school in the US?

Some US kids will be back in school, but others won't.  I think you will find more kids on Crystal than Silversea.  Crystal appeals to kids and Serenity has two large, well-appointed/equipped rooms for kids of various ages.  I do not believe any Silversea ships have rooms set aside for kids' activities.  I do not know whether Crystal will offer special kids programs with activities directors, etc., on these cruises.

The demographic eschews "wiser" 🙂 and the majority will be in the >65 category. Having said that, in our experience there is always a good mix of ages. We are 54 and 60 and have always found ourselves at home with those who are our age as well as with the "wiser" crowd.

Covid requirements aside (may or may not apply then), the itinerary and length are not particularly conducive to large numbers of kids. Most young families traveling during the summer holidays will choose shorter (7-10 day) itineraries in Alaska or the Med. When there is a modest number of kids on board you will never know they're there. Crystal does a great jot in this regard.

• Like 2

In general, I find there are very few children on Crystal.  With the current requirement of full vaccinations for all passengers, there should be no young children since there are not yet eligible for vaccines.

• Like 3

Well in the world of COVID-19 I don't think you will find many children on board.

Given these are 7 day cruises and the time of the year you will find an overall younger demographic than the winter and on longer cruises.

Yes, you will find people of your age group and younger and older.

Keith

42 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Given these are 7 day cruises 

Well it is an 18-day cruise and I have not seen it sold by shorter segments 

4 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Well it is an 18-day cruise and I have not seen it sold by shorter segments 

I think most readers missed the last "2" in 2022 and instead assumed 2021.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I think most readers missed the last "2" in 2022 and instead assumed 2021.

You are right.

I have 2021 on the brain.

Ssscaf001,In that case, for an 18 day cruise I would expect a demographic mainly in the 60 to 70 range with some older and some younger.

There are many who no longer want to fly internationally so this is a cruise which allows them to avoid long haul flights and in some cases drive to one of the ports (either embarkation or disembarkation.

Keith

We are booked on this same cruise (August 15-September 2, 2022).  I would be very surprised if we see any children at all onboard, even though this is a summer holiday for many schools.

The reason is the length of the cruise-- 18 days.  With exceptions of course, my experience is that most parents would not be comfortable taking their children on such a long cruise and most children would not enjoy being on board a ship for so long.

Emily

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, SSCAF001 said:

I will be on board the Serenity from August 15 to September 2, 2022 and was wondering what kind of people I should encounter during the cruise. Having previously sailed aboard Silversea the average age was rather senior which we like as we enjoy quietness. Should I expect something similar? Should the fact that the cruise is from mid August to beginning September attract many kids or most of them will already be back to school in the US?

Hi I'm also on that sailing .. celebrating a big family get together..22 adults & 17 kids ...

Age range 2 years to 21 years !!! ....... 

No only joking 😂 ... Sounds a fab cruise I'm doing April on the symphony...Greek islands & holy land...( If that happens??) 

• Haha 1

I think many of us CCers did a similar time frame and itinerary in 2018. 

This is a nice itinerary you’re doing. Hot and humid but worth it for the various places you’ll go, with, of course, the highlight being the canal transit.

• Like 1