Jump to content

CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Royal Caribbean has already announced that they are resuming cruises out of Florida next month in July and that they will not require passengers to be vaccinated.  I assume that they must not be making any port stops in countries that require all visitors to be vaccinated.  Any cruise line could do the same thing.

That should be interesting with the mask and distancing mandate.  Want to hear their reports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder what they will do for pax who got caught in fiasco last March when pandemic was declared?? Fully paid, and only CC issued. Definitely don't want to board a floating petrie dish if pax and crew are not fully vax'd. Hate to give up cruising, but will if push comes to shove. How much do the Corporations really care??? Guess we'll see. And yes, I am aware of vaccinated people getting Covid, and carrying Covid, but think the odds are much improved for everyone's safety if ALL are vaccinated. The Delta variant would shoot through a ship in a matter of days, not weeks.

As to the borders? I've heard through the grapevine, that US/Cdn border will not be opened until after the summer. Hopefully the quarantine hotels will be abolished too.

My question is: If no vax required, then surely a PCR negative test will be required upon 3 days prior to boarding, then prior to flight home, then again upon returning to Canada. How does one accomplish these logistics. And who pays? Passenger? Could be quite costly. Hopefully all these glitches will get worked out by the fall, but if Delta variant takes hold...... look out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since I haven't read this entire thread, I wonder how things are going to be handled in Europe?  We have a cruise on Sept 4th from Amsterdam to Rome.  Supposed to have lots of stops, 3 in Spain, Portugal, Brussels, France.  They took our final payment( FCC from last years cancelled cruise). I haven't made any plans yet, no air fare, no excurions.  I'm a planner and its killing me that I don't know what is going to happen.  Anyone care to venture a guess?  My friend was a 3rd in our suite and already decided not to go, since she refuses to get vaccinated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Since I haven't read this entire thread, I wonder how things are going to be handled in Europe?  We have a cruise on Sept 4th from Amsterdam to Rome.  Supposed to have lots of stops, 3 in Spain, Portugal, Brussels, France.  They took our final payment( FCC from last years cancelled cruise). I haven't made any plans yet, no air fare, no excurions.  I'm a planner and its killing me that I don't know what is going to happen.  Anyone care to venture a guess?  My friend was a 3rd in our suite and already decided not to go, since she refuses to get vaccinated. 

Which ship? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the moment, the port of Amsterdam is not open. I have heard of a round the British Isles cruise which was departing from Amsterdam being cancelled, not sure what the sailing date was though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

There are so many loop holes in the closed border you couldn’t trap an elephant in them.

I can fly anywhere I want as long as I am willing to do the mandatory 3 day quarantine upon my entry back into Canada if I fly. This cost approx $800 per person. I then would have to complete another 11 days of quarantine at home.

I can also fly back to a U.S border city and walk back or have a taxi take me over to the Canadian side and bypass the hotel quarantine and the cost.

Just need to do the 14 day quarantine at home.

So how many people do you think actually quarantine at home for the 14  days? I'm genuinely curious. I'm a physician and last summer when people were learning it was all over the place. During the big surge, most people knew where they got infected - by and large it was in their family's home over Christmas or New Years - back in the summer 2020 it was a bit more of a mystery - so no one knew how long to quarantine - 14 days from when? A little different with a travel quarantine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Currently the restrictions are set to expire on June 21 however the government has extended this every month on by the 15th of the month for the last year. 
I am not expecting any changes to the border issue until possibly the fall.

I am waiting to book flights as our cruise is not booked on the Edge until the end of October. 

 

How are vaccinations going in Canada? I know there was a very slow rollout and little vaccine available initially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

So how many people do you think actually quarantine at home for the 14  days? I'm genuinely curious. I'm a physician and last summer when people were learning it was all over the place. During the big surge, most people knew where they got infected - by and large it was in their family's home over Christmas or New Years - back in the summer 2020 it was a bit more of a mystery - so no one knew how long to quarantine - 14 days from when? A little different with a travel quarantine.

There has not been much push back regarding doing the 14 day quarantine at your place of residence. The push back has come from the money grabbing mandatory 3 day hotel quarantine at a minimum of $800 per person when flying back into Canada. Refusing is a $5000 fine per person. There have been refusals and the fines were issued. 

 

You have to quarantine for 14 days from your day of arrival back into Canada. You are tested upon arrival and again on day eight. Both have to be negative or you have to remain in quarantine. There are phone calls and spot check visits to see if you are actually home. You are fined if you break your quarantine and are caught.

 

Since everything here in Ontario is still closed except Grocery stores and pharmacies quarantining has really not been an issue. Schools here are still closed and will not be opening until September.

We will see what happens when outdoor dining is supposed to open up in 10 days.

 

Edited by pixiedust777
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

How are vaccinations going in Canada? I know there was a very slow rollout and little vaccine available initially.

Vaccines here in Canada are really picking up. 
Just over 52% of people eligible (12+) Canadians have received a first shot. Another 6% are fully vaccinated.

In Ontario where I am:

Second shots really start ramping up this week for Pfizer and Moderna.

Bookings open up on Monday for the next group of people who had there first shot before May 19th. Which could put your second shot as early as 6 weeks from the first.

AstraZeneca is no longer being used for first shots and those that had it as their first shot need to wait 12 weeks for a second shot of AstraZeneca or if you choose you can switch and receive Pfizer or Moderna as your second shot at the 12 week mark.

 

 

Edited by pixiedust777
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

Since I haven't read this entire thread, I wonder how things are going to be handled in Europe?  We have a cruise on Sept 4th from Amsterdam to Rome.  Supposed to have lots of stops, 3 in Spain, Portugal, Brussels, France.  They took our final payment( FCC from last years cancelled cruise). I haven't made any plans yet, no air fare, no excurions.  I'm a planner and its killing me that I don't know what is going to happen.  Anyone care to venture a guess?  My friend was a 3rd in our suite and already decided not to go, since she refuses to get vaccinated. 

 

You're not going anywhere.  Sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bajathree said:

How well do you think thats going to work...rolling eyes

Indeed. I have 3 future cruises booked with Royal and will be cancelling  all that do not require vaccination for passengers. Very disappointed in them. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 6:47 AM, ipeeinthepool said:
On 5/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, rhblake said:

Who is "they?" Can they governor clarify those definitions on his own or is it the legislature?

 

The Governor and the cruise line executives are working on a statement.

 

I'm quoting just one of many, many posts of this same ilk from you that indicated that getting a resolution here was a done deal based on your sources.  I'm wondering if you have any update on this situation or if your view has changed?  (Of course I hope you were correct.)  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Vaccines here in Canada are really picking up. 
Just over 52% of people eligible (12+) Canadians have received a first shot. Another 6% are fully vaccinated.

In Ontario where I am:

Second shots really start ramping up this week for Pfizer and Moderna.

Bookings open up on Monday for the next group of people who had there first shot before May 19th. Which could put your second shot as early as 6 weeks from the first.

AstraZeneca is no longer being used for first shots and those that had it as their first shot need to wait 12 weeks for a second shot of AstraZeneca or if you choose you can switch and receive Pfizer or Moderna as your second shot at the 12 week mark.

 

 

I had read on this board that people were getting second shots, I remember a few months ago, there was talk that it would be August before second shots were given, so good to hear our northern neighbors will be free soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KAE27 said:

 

I'm quoting just one of many, many posts of this same ilk from you that indicated that getting a resolution here was a done deal based on your sources.  I'm wondering if you have any update on this situation or if your view has changed?  (Of course I hope you were correct.)  Thanks.

 

I’ll stick with my sources and previous statements.  Remember we have Carnival and NCL still requiring vaccines. But at this point, I can’t explain Royal’s actions.  Perhaps it’s an indication that Royal’s bookings were very low and they wanted to see if this would improve them.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I had read on this board that people were getting second shots, I remember a few months ago, there was talk that it would be August before second shots were given, so good to hear our northern neighbors will be free soon.

We had a very slow rollout. The pace has improved and demand still outweighs supply. Canadians (mostly) are eager to get vaccinated. I fell into the group get the first vaccine available which was AstraZeneca. I now will be due for my second shot is 3 weeks and am sure the remaining supply will be depleted. Will probably be Pfizer for my second shot but would have preferred to be offered the same. I really want to be on our November cruise and want to be fully vaccinated! I  hope Celebrity sticks with the vaccine requirement so we can enjoy as close to normal cruise experience.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Reflection isn't coming to Europe this summer so unfortunately your cruise will be cancelled.

How do you know that?  It shows on the port schedule for Amsterdam that it is coming in September.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Reflection isn't coming to Europe this summer so unfortunately your cruise will be cancelled.

What do you base this on? Celebrity hasn’t announced that…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Interesting.  Make those cruises private charters.  You have to belong to a “club” to embark.  And, the club requires you to provide proof of the COVID vaccine to join.

Could another idea be for the cruise line to offer alternate cruises with identical itineraries?   For example...

  • The Summit's first cruise of the month would go to Ports A, B, and C and be for "vaccinated-only" passengers. When it returns, the Summit's following cruise would be to the same ports and be for "open" cruises...anyone can choose to go.   
  • Alternatively - each week, the cruise line could offer some cruises that are for vaccinated only passengers and some that are "open" with similar itineraries.

That way, no one gets shut out of cruising and it might be a way around the Desantis law if his true intent is to assure everyone can cruise.   Of course, based strictly on CC threads, I'd wonder how many passengers actually would opt for the open cruises...would there be enough to make it feasible?   

 

 

Edited by Bluewake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

Could another idea be for the cruise line to offer alternate cruises with identical itineraries?   For example...

  • The Summit's first cruise of the month would go to Ports A, B, and C and be for "vaccinated-only" passengers. When it returns, the Summit's following cruise would be to the same ports and be for "open" cruises...anyone can choose to go.   
  • Alternatively - each week, the cruise line could offer some cruises that are for vaccinated only passengers and some that are "open" with similar itineraries.

That way, no one gets shut out of cruising and it might be a way around the Desantis law if his true intent is to assure everyone can cruise.   Of course, based strictly on CC threads, I'd wonder how many passengers actually would opt for the open cruises...would there be enough to make it feasible?   

 

 

 

Let the marketplace decide!! I prefer a 95% vaccination cruise - so I booked Celebrity. Don't want to be vaccinated - lots of other options on cruise lines and resorts.

 

I remember when Carnival had a ship dedicated to "no smoking" - they tried it and the marketplace economics with the ships demographics decided. People vote with their wallets all the time!!!!

 

 Cruise lines cater to different demographics and it works great for them. Virgin and Viking Cruises are Adult Only - as are some river cruises

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Princess Fi said:

We had a very slow rollout. The pace has improved and demand still outweighs supply. Canadians (mostly) are eager to get vaccinated. I fell into the group get the first vaccine available which was AstraZeneca. I now will be due for my second shot is 3 weeks and am sure the remaining supply will be depleted. Will probably be Pfizer for my second shot but would have preferred to be offered the same. I really want to be on our November cruise and want to be fully vaccinated! I  hope Celebrity sticks with the vaccine requirement so we can enjoy as close to normal cruise experience.  

DH and I have fallen into the AstraZeneca dilemma as well.🙄

I am trying to be optimistic that there will be supply of AstraZeneca in 3-4 weeks ( had our shots a week apart- silly age groups😉) when we become eligible to receive our second dose. We would both prefer to stick with what we had as our first. We will go with Pfizer as our back up.

 

Just want to be fully vaccinated so we can get on our cruise in October on the Edge and then head over to St. Maarten for a week.

 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My family MD said the doses couldn’t be mixed.  So, if you got Astra for your first shot, you have to stay with Astra for the 2nd.  Same goes for Pfizer.  Obviously J&J is one shot only.

 

But, I’ve had my shots since April.  So, perhaps something has changed in the interim.

 

Good luck to my Canadian friends.  I know you guys have endured a lot and are just staring to get vaccines and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

My family MD said the doses couldn’t be mixed.  So, if you got Astra for your first shot, you have to stay with Astra for the 2nd.  Same goes for Pfizer.  Obviously J&J is one shot only.

 

But, I’ve had my shots since April.  So, perhaps something has changed in the interim.

 

Good luck to my Canadian friends.  I know you guys have endured a lot and are just staring to get vaccines and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization has approved mixed vaccinations, as have government health officials in a dozen other countries. Even the CDC now allows for mixed mRNA vaccinations in exceptional circumstance:

 

In exceptional situations in which the mRNA vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series.

 

DW and I will be eligible to book for our 2nd shot tomorrow, although it may be weeks before we can actually secure an appointment due to the ongoing shortage of vaccine in Ottawa. We are hoping for a 2nd Moderna dose, but will take Pfizer if that's all that is available.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...