Jump to content

Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations


Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Has there been any silent discos in the atrium on the previous three cruises or “White” nights?

What time did the Ocean cafe shut at night please? I often like to grab a pizza or some dessert once I finished drinking!😜

No silent disco or white night. Can’t help re Ocean cafe closing but must say the pizzas were not the best - base tended to be very hard. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

@downsmead what format were your excursions. Were you able to visit unaccompanied?

In reality, nothing! Did depend on the guide and how strict they were.

Belfast Titanic museum; group ‘kept together’ whilst in the museum, the guide tried to keep us as a group within a given area as we made our way through the museum but it did not feel restricted. We did not feel rushed although we were one of the first groups in. When we had finished, we all went to the basement together to allow people to visit the toilets. We were not allowed to visit the gift shop. We then walked as a group on the slipway tour, where we were met at the end by the coach and then did the city tour, which was fascinating. 
Beatles museum; allowed to go through the museum at our own pace and supplied with audio guide. We entered at 9.30 and had an arranged meeting time at the exit at 11am at the cafe, which did not open until 11am. We were allowed to visit the gift shop in the museum. After the museum was a walking tour, approx 90 minutes. This went through the dock area and city centre. Unlike the first tour, we had a person from the ship accompanying this tour who bought up the rear so to speak. It made sense as there were far more opportunities to ‘abscond’ (😂) from this tour. 
On neither tour did it impact us or our enjoyment of the tours. Both had excellent guides who made the tours very interesting and who were appreciative of the constraints on us, but who had a job to do. 

Edited by downsmead
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, downsmead said:

The iPad Pro’s were around $800 (64Gb) and $1100 (128Gb). Didn’t seem a good deal to me compared to what I paid for my one 🤷‍♀️. Plus VAT!

 

Whilst I would agree they are probably no bargain if it isn’t ‘real’ money you are spending then cost is balanced against what else you can use the OBC for...

 

What a luxury to have to worry about spending OBC wisely!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

Planner for day whilst we were in Liverpool (21/07/21)

0610C952-A4D4-47AC-9BE4-41905785CAF0.jpeg

Oh wow, they showed the same film 7 times throughout the whole day... they could at least alternate a couple of films a day. Not that I want to sit and watch a film necessarily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, downsmead said:

In reality, nothing! Did depend on the guide and how strict they were.

Belfast Titanic museum; group ‘kept together’ whilst in the museum, the guide tried to keep us as a group within a given area as we made our way through the museum but it did not feel restricted. We did not feel rushed although we were one of the first groups in. When we had finished, we all went to the basement together to allow people to visit the toilets. We were not allowed to visit the gift shop. We then walked as a group on the slipway tour, where we were met at the end by the coach and then did the city tour, which was fascinating. 
Beatles museum; allowed to go through the museum at our own pace and supplied with audio guide. We entered at 9.30 and had an arranged meeting time at the exit at 11am at the cafe, which did not open until 11am. We were allowed to visit the gift shop in the museum. After the museum was a walking tour, approx 90 minutes. This went through the dock area and city centre. Unlike the first tour, we had a person from the ship accompanying this tour who bought up the rear so to speak. It made sense as there were far more opportunities to ‘abscond’ (😂) from this tour. 
On neither tour did it impact us or our enjoyment of the tours. Both had excellent guides who made the tours very interesting and who were appreciative of the constraints on us, but who had a job to do. 

I was on the 17/7 sailing and yes, excursions were definitely dependent on your tour guide. I did the Titanic Trail and city tour and wandered myself through the museum and we met back outside at the arranged time. We were allowed to visit the gift shop and the coffee shop. I got a take away coffee and sat and drank it outside. The Liverpool walking tour and Beatles museum was a different experience with the guide wanting everyone to go in a group to the toilet, even if you didn't want too! So think it depends on the guide. 
i would highly recommend the Titanic Trail - museum and a good walk around the shipyard.

Edited by tmacktravels
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We're thinking of booking a sailcation in August,  this will be our first Celebrity cruise though we will be Elite because of our status with Royal Caribbean. 

Can I ask if people feel they got a good experience even under covid rules.

What is the weather and seas like on these round UK cruises, much chance to sunbath? I know we've just had a hot spell but the forecast for the next few weeks doesn't look brilliant 

We've done a couple of transatlantic's and I'm expecting the weather to be similar to that 

 

Can you remind me on the Elite perks. We will probably book through a travel trade travel agents and they sell the bare bones cruise without the always included . 

Finally, my husband has sent off his passport for renewal, are they necessary for sailcations?

Thanks in advance for any replies 

Edited by sgmn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Elite Perks. Have gone down effectively with All Inclusive but beneficial for some:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

 

Feedback has been good if you read the posts.

 

As for the weather.. who knows. I have sailed (in yachts) in August in winter storm like weather and had balmy Wintry days in December.

 

Some folk have managed to get 30% NHS or Military discount for August trips. There is 10% for Captains Club if you can blag membership with your Royal status.

 

INterested to hear about the Travel Trade discount. My wife's job involves auditing Carnivals Medical Centres so I wonder if she could blag discounts too (not for Celebrity as I am an ex-military nurse and do quite well) 

 

No idea about passport. Perhaps someone has been will feedback. You are not leaving the UK so imagine Driving Licence would be fine. Could always ask the rep or even a 'soon to go' roll call

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Elite Perks. Have gone down effectively with All Inclusive but beneficial for some:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

 

Feedback has been good if you read the posts.

 

As for the weather.. who knows. I have sailed (in yachts) in August in winter storm like weather and had balmy Wintry days in December.

 

Some folk have managed to get 30% NHS or Military discount for August trips. There is 10% for Captains Club if you can blag membership with your Royal status.

 

INterested to hear about the Travel Trade discount. My wife's job involves auditing Carnivals Medical Centres so I wonder if she could blag discounts too (not for Celebrity as I am an ex-military nurse and do quite well) 

 

No idea about passport. Perhaps someone has been will feedback. You are not leaving the UK so imagine Driving Licence would be fine. Could always ask the rep or even a 'soon to go' roll call

You need some type of photo ID, and when you do online check-in you have to give details. The options we’re passport of driving licence and you have to input numbers and expiry dates etc. Whichever you use I assume you then take to port for boarding.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given the easing of most UK restrictions on 19 July, are guest numbers still being limited to about 1000 and is going ashore only possible on Celebrity excursions?  Considering a staycation late August. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, colingu said:

Given the easing of most UK restrictions on 19 July, are guest numbers still being limited to about 1000 and is going ashore only possible on Celebrity excursions?  Considering a staycation late August. 

numbers still limited. As of today Celebrity's official position is still that you only leave the ship on their excursions - the cruise sailing now is subject to those conditions. All sorts of rumours about the future but no official changes. For Kirkwall we have an email from the Port Authority saying we can get off but Celebrity still says no. Despite what their website says the official position is that they are operating to their own regime and not to that of any port that they visit - this from Jeremy, Pre Cruise Corporate Guest Relations Team. Geoff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bretty said:

Oh wow, they showed the same film 7 times throughout the whole day... they could at least alternate a couple of films a day. Not that I want to sit and watch a film necessarily.

it's a very small venue with 1 largish screen and 2 smaller ones. We find the seating very uncomfortable. Film usually changes each day. Showing just one lets you choose a time that fits around other activities.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, colingu said:

Given the easing of most UK restrictions on 19 July, are guest numbers still being limited to about 1000 and is going ashore only possible on Celebrity excursions?  Considering a staycation late August. 

The latest rules say that cruise ships can now take 50% of their capacity, which in the case of Silhouette would mean 1,443 passengers (compared to 1,000 until 19/7).

 

Our 14/8 cruise is still being advertised widely and I guess Celebrity will want to fill to the legal capacity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

The latest rules say that cruise ships can now take 50% of their capacity, which in the case of Silhouette would mean 1,443 passengers (compared to 1,000 until 19/7).

 

Our 14/8 cruise is still being advertised widely and I guess Celebrity will want to fill to the legal capacity.

 

There isn't a limit now set by the government. 

 

However they currently have just over half the crew. Therefore this will affect numbers. 

 

The Retreat is sailing full apparently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

numbers still limited. As of today Celebrity's official position is still that you only leave the ship on their excursions - the cruise sailing now is subject to those conditions. All sorts of rumours about the future but no official changes. For Kirkwall we have an email from the Port Authority saying we can get off but Celebrity still says no. Despite what their website says the official position is that they are operating to their own regime and not to that of any port that they visit - this from Jeremy, Pre Cruise Corporate Guest Relations Team. Geoff

 

Which actually goes against Celebrity's published guidelines which say where port authorities allow guests can disembark themselves as long as their entire party is vaccinated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

The latest rules say that cruise ships can now take 50% of their capacity, which in the case of Silhouette would mean 1,443 passengers (compared to 1,000 until 19/7).

 

Our 14/8 cruise is still being advertised widely and I guess Celebrity will want to fill to the legal capacity.

Do you think the 50% capacity will be by cabin type for example 50% suites, 50% aqua, concierge, verandah etc to allow some sort of social distancing due to location or will Celebrity operate first come first served and once 1443 passengers has been reached stop selling. Just noticed most of the Retreat suites for staycations are ‘sold out’.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, isdoo said:

 

There isn't a limit now set by the government. 

 

However they currently have just over half the crew. Therefore this will affect numbers. 

 

The Retreat is sailing full apparently. 

 

 

I was basing the limit on this article

 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/6285/

 

You might be right about the crew, but Silhouette is specifically quoted;

 

And yesterday, Jo Rzymowska, Celebrity's vice president and managing director for Europe, Middle East and Africa, told Cruise Critic that the line was ready to increase passenger numbers on Celebrity Silhouette to around 1,500 as soon as government guidelines allowed:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

 

 

I was basing the limit on this article

 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/6285/

 

You might be right about the crew, but Silhouette is specifically quoted;

 

And yesterday, Jo Rzymowska, Celebrity's vice president and managing director for Europe, Middle East and Africa, told Cruise Critic that the line was ready to increase passenger numbers on Celebrity Silhouette to around 1,500 as soon as government guidelines allowed:

 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, scottie920 said:

Do you think the 50% capacity will be by cabin type for example 50% suites, 50% aqua, concierge, verandah etc to allow some sort of social distancing due to location or will Celebrity operate first come first served and once 1443 passengers has been reached stop selling. Just noticed most of the Retreat suites for staycations are ‘sold out’.

 

Suites are sailing at 100%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

numbers still limited. As of today Celebrity's official position is still that you only leave the ship on their excursions - the cruise sailing now is subject to those conditions. All sorts of rumours about the future but no official changes. For Kirkwall we have an email from the Port Authority saying we can get off but Celebrity still says no. Despite what their website says the official position is that they are operating to their own regime and not to that of any port that they visit - this from Jeremy, Pre Cruise Corporate Guest Relations Team. Geoff

 

Currently Celebrity say this for the UK. 

 

We anticipate that guests will be permitted to debark Celebrity Silhouette in ports of call where there are no restrictions put in place by port authorities or local government. If and where local restrictions are in place, Celebrity Cruises will only allow guests who have booked a curated shore excursion to leave the ship to ensure we adhere to the protocols they have defined.


In ports where guests are permitted to go ashore independently, all vaccinated guests are permitted to go ashore on their own. All unvaccinated guests are required to take a Celebrity curated shore excursion to go ashore. 


Families with unvaccinated children are required to take a Celebrity curated tour to go ashore.
 
In ports where cruise ship guests are not permitted to go ashore independently, guests are required to take a Celebrity curated shore excursion to go ashore. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, isdoo said:

 

Currently Celebrity say this for the UK. 

 

We anticipate that guests will be permitted to debark Celebrity Silhouette in ports of call where there are no restrictions put in place by port authorities or local government. If and where local restrictions are in place, Celebrity Cruises will only allow guests who have booked a curated shore excursion to leave the ship to ensure we adhere to the protocols they have defined.


In ports where guests are permitted to go ashore independently, all vaccinated guests are permitted to go ashore on their own. All unvaccinated guests are required to take a Celebrity curated shore excursion to go ashore. 


Families with unvaccinated children are required to take a Celebrity curated tour to go ashore.
 
In ports where cruise ship guests are not permitted to go ashore independently, guests are required to take a Celebrity curated shore excursion to go ashore. 

 

 

It has had this statement for weeks. We have quoted this to Jeremy as stated in my post above and Celebrity still state that we can't disembark. Indeed if they were sticking to your posting passengers would already have been let off individually and they haven't. It also says in line 1  " we anticipate"  which is not a guarantee but an aspiration.

All very frustrating especially for those of us who have private guides booked. On the current sailing none is allowed off individually so let's see what happens with the next sailing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...