Cruising in Australia in 2022.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Another thing to consider is will the virus mutate again. It's a big concern. Plus countries who had been doing very well at containing it are suddenly betting big outbreaks ie Taiwan and Vietnam.

Until the vaccinations are proven to significantly reduce the outbreaks around the world so that it is essentally contained then any overseas travel, other than to bubble countries, is a big risk vaccinated or not.

It is mutating already my friend. We already have like three or four different kinds. I wonder how it will effect people who are vaccinated.. vaccinated with different vaccines especially 

20 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

It is mutating already my friend. We already have like three or four different kinds. I wonder how it will effect people who are vaccinated.. vaccinated with different vaccines especially 

Actually there are at least 8 or more variants worldwide and I'm sure there will still be more over the next few months. The indian variant is currently causing concern here as it appears to have a very fast infection rate - people are developing symptoms within 24 hours instead of 4-5 days.

One major concern is what happens if two variants combine. 

So far the major vaccines appear to work against the currently known variants but whether that is true in the future is, of course, unknown. I believe one of the benefits of the mRNA vaccines is that they can be quickly modified to cover new variants.

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So far the major vaccines appear to work against the currently known variants but whether that is true in the future is, of course, unknown. I believe one of the benefits of the mRNA vaccines is that they can be quickly modified to cover new variants.

They seem to work less well. Still give some protection and particularly from severe illness and death but we really are in a race to halt infections worldwide to minimise the mutations.

59 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

They seem to work less well. Still give some protection and particularly from severe illness and death but we really are in a race to halt infections worldwide to minimise the mutations.

Unfortunately that isn't going to happen quickly which is why staying here is the safest thing to do. And even here we still could be at risk. This may be a pessimistic outlook but I have a gut feeling it's going to take another year or two before this pandemic is over. I hope I'm proven wrong. 

But we should be able to have domestic and NZ cruising with vaccinated locals as passengers and, of course, fully vaccinated crew.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Until the vaccinations are proven to significantly reduce the outbreaks around the world so that it is essentally contained then any overseas travel, other than to bubble countries, is a big risk vaccinated or not.

See US and UK infection/hospitalization/death rates - vaccinations controls outbreaks - its in thefigures 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Noone will do this testing for Covid. Its illegal and there is a law protecting your right to privacy. You dont have to share whether you were vaccinated or not

In one lame brain state in the US where the lame brain Governor is trying to appeal to his lame brain minority base, there is such a law. In most jurisdictions around the world testing is required and expected. These people who "won't do that, I know my rights" will soon find that outside their patch they really don't have the "rights" they thought they did. Even in the US there are plenty of people who are not so slow on the uptake to think they will be able to travel internationally and not show proof of vaccination.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

In one lame brain state in the US where the lame brain Governor is trying to appeal to his lame brain minority base, there is such a law. In most jurisdictions around the world testing is required and expected. These people who "won't do that, I know my rights" will soon find that outside their patch they really don't have the "rights" they thought they did. Even in the US there are plenty of people who are not so slow on the uptake to think they will be able to travel internationally and not show proof of vaccination.

Yup if you think about it its really almost  a benefit to come out of the whole Covid catastrophe!  I personally won't be getting on a cruise ship unless there is mandatory vaccination - not just because the cruise may end up disrupted because an outbreak among the non-vaccinated - but also because -why would want to have a conversation with them over dinner?

Edited by lissie
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Yup if you think about it its really almost  a benefit to come out of the whole Covid catastrophe!  I personally won't be getting on a cruise ship unless there is mandatory vaccination - not just because the cruise may end up disrupted because an outbreak among the non-vaccinated - but also because -why would want to have a conversation with them over dinner?

I have decided not to discriminate,  So I just dislike everyone.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, lissie said:

See US and UK infection/hospitalization/death rates - vaccinations controls outbreaks - its in thefigures 

The number of cases and hospitalisation in the UK is rising again according to quite a number of media reports. They are concerned about the Indian variant which is becoming more prevalent - Covid Increae in UK

There is also talk that the UK government is worried about the number of new cases with the Indian variant and that the lefting of more restrictions may not happen.

Vaccinations may not stop the population from contracting the virus but may prevent serious illness and deaths. There is not enough data yet and also remember the UK, North America and Europe are coming into summer where the trend tends to be less cases with better weather.

Leigh

55 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The number of cases and hospitalisation in the UK is rising again according to quite a number of media reports. They are concerned about the Indian variant which is becoming more prevalent - Covid Increae in UK

There is also talk that the UK government is worried about the number of new cases with the Indian variant and that the lefting of more restrictions may not happen.

Vaccinations may not stop the population from contracting the virus but may prevent serious illness and deaths. There is not enough data yet and also remember the UK, North America and Europe are coming into summer where the trend tends to be less cases with better weather.

Leigh

That's a bit of a worry. They're still averaging 2-3000 new cases a day.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 8:41 AM, MMDown Under said:

I can't understand how cruise lines can advertise these cruises, with a clear conscious

Because , as PT Barnum once famously said - there's a sucker born every minute! 

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

That's a bit of a worry. They're still averaging 2-3000 new cases a day.

And the Poms are recommencing their holiday travel to Spain, Portugual and Staycation cruises. I wonder how long before the positive cases pop up on the ships.

In some English towns, i.e. Blackburn in the north and Bedford in the midlands, there is a very high covid rate, going up rapidly.

Edited by NSWP

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And the Poms are recommencing their holiday travel to Spain, Portugual and Staycation cruises. I wonder how long before the positive cases pop up on the ships.

In some English towns, i.e. Blackburn in the north and Bedford in the midlands, there is a very high covid rate, going up rapidly.

I have a relative who lives in Blackburn, she has been putting photos of her family out and about on FB. Not a mask to be seen.

Leigh

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I have a relative who lives in Blackburn, she has been putting photos of her family out and about on FB. Not a mask to be seen.

Leigh

Have a look at the Covid maps on UK Leigh, Blackburn is on there big time.  Pro rata 390 cases per 100,000 people.  Their weekly covid rate doubled last week from 300 odd to 600 odd. It is the Indian virus now hitting UK. A lot of north west England has had a rise in covid numbers, i.e. Blackburn, Bolton & Salford, which is part of Greater Manchester.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Many of these Brits are in Fairyland, I have a stepsister in Southend on Sea who thinks Covid is over, even though her area is still having a couple of hundred cases a week. Singing, Dancing, drinking, no masks, an air of frivolity abounds in many parts of merry olde England. It will come back to haunt them, mark my words.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Many of these Brits are in Fairyland, I have a stepsister in Southend on Sea who thinks Covid is over, even though her area is still having a couple of hundred cases a week. Singing, Dancing, drinking, no masks, an air of frivolity abounds in many parts of merry olde England. It will come back to haunt them, mark my words.

Oh, well. The place was getting a bit overcrowded anyway.🙄😨

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2021 at 10:41 AM, MMDown Under said:

I have just received an email from Oceania Cruises offering 19 cruises to Aus and NZ from Jan 2022.

The first one is trans Pacific from LA to Perth, via usual South Pacific ports of call.  I can't understand how cruise lines can advertise these cruises, with a clear conscious, when Aus and NZ borders are closed and South Pacific ports status are unknown.  These are not local cruises but long cruises with long haul flights involved.  I hope American passengers know to check with the appropriate Governments whether they are able to enter Aus/NZ etc.

I am aghast at all the comments on the other boards from (mostly Americans) who are booking cruises to NZ and Aus for this cruise season.  I understand if it is a long term booking or shift from 2020.  I have a shifted cruise on Celebrity Eclipse in January that's not going to go.  What I don't understand is why you would book it now.  Can they not use Google?  All they have to do is search for "Australian border" or "NZ border" and it all pops up on reputable news sources.  I agree that the cruise lines are being disingenuous by advertising such cruises but a bit of research is surely called for in these uncertain times.

• Like 3

I am one of those people from the USA hoping to get to NZ and Australia next Feb/March. We have been booked for 3 years and truthfully have no idea where our cruise will go or if it will go. Our whole cruise will be 100% vaccinated passengers and crew. I think whether this cruise goes on as planned is whether the vaccines are effective against the variants. Early studies are showing Pfizer, Moderna and J and J are effective against the variants. The trouble in Great Britain right now is the Indian Variant is hitting the young and not vaccinated and the Indian variable highly contagious. Again the prelim data shows vaccine is effective.

In the US anyone over 12 can get the Pfizer vaccine and by Sept probably everyone over 2 years old. Of the US population 60-72% depending on the state have received one dose of the vaccine. 40% fully vaccinated. That number is increasing as people are restricted from travel outside the US with out the vaccine and even some events such as my sons wedding are for the vaccinated only. The CDC just lifted a bunch of mandates for vaccinated people in the US. No masks if vaccinated and can have get togethers with friends. Restaurants and bars are fully open. Non vaccinated people still have to wear masks. We can travel, though masks required on airports and  airplanes. Additionally there is a growing body of evidence suggestion fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infections or ***Transmit SARS-Covid to others.  The later is the huge one that opens up the world. The bottom line is just from looking at the US you will see if we have been given freedom too soon, we have 8-9 months to prove ourselves right. It was predicted last December there would be a surge, no vaccine yet and many no covid believers met with their family. We had a huge surge in January and February. Right now with our new found freedom our numbers are going way down, a good sign but if the US is wrong you will see a huge surge this and next month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

I am one of those people from the USA hoping to get to NZ and Australia next Feb/March. We have been booked for 3 years and truthfully have no idea where our cruise will go or if it will go. Our whole cruise will be 100% vaccinated passengers and crew. I think whether this cruise goes on as planned is whether the vaccines are effective against the variants. Early studies are showing Pfizer, Moderna and J and J are effective against the variants. The trouble in Great Britain right now is the Indian Variant is hitting the young and not vaccinated and the Indian variable highly contagious. Again the prelim data shows vaccine is effective.

In the US anyone over 12 can get the Pfizer vaccine and by Sept probably everyone over 2 years old. Of the US population 60-72% depending on the state have received one dose of the vaccine. 40% fully vaccinated. That number is increasing as people are restricted from travel outside the US with out the vaccine and even some events such as my sons wedding are for the vaccinated only. The CDC just lifted a bunch of mandates for vaccinated people in the US. No masks if vaccinated and can have get togethers with friends. Restaurants and bars are fully open. Non vaccinated people still have to wear masks. We can travel, though masks required on airports and  airplanes. Additionally there is a growing body of evidence suggestion fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infections or ***Transmit SARS-Covid to others.  The later is the huge one that opens up the world. The bottom line is just from looking at the US you will see if we have been given freedom too soon, we have 8-9 months to prove ourselves right. It was predicted last December there would be a surge, no vaccine yet and many no covid believers met with their family. We had a huge surge in January and February. Right now with our new found freedom our numbers are going way down, a good sign but if the US is wrong you will see a huge surge this and next month.

Sorry that the cruise which you have had booked to Aus/NZ next Feb/March, for 3 years, is unlikely to cruise.  The problem is both Aust and NZ have their borders closed to overseas visitors.  Govt has stated mid 2022 for consideration of opening our borders but it is unknown at present.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are just booking those cruises now or they've had them booked for some time?

If it's the first then they'll get a sharp reality check when they try to come here.🙄🤣

Honestly, some of them are just booking them now.  I feel for the people who have these cruises booked for years.  I am one of those people and I certainly did not foresee that our borders would be closed, but booking them now is not sensible.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

3 hours ago, travelwell said:

I am very pleased that your vaccination programme is going so well and I hope that it is successful and that your Covid numbers will continue to decline.  Unfortunately, any cruise to NZ, Australia, or the Pacific is dependent on the border restrictions imposed by those governments and the vaccination programmes within those countries.  The Australian Government have indicated that their border closure will continue through to mid-22.  The NZ govt have stated that their border reopening will be slow and considered.  I think you should consider that your cruise is unlikely to go.

• Like 2