You NCL cruisers out there…stop planning cruises

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Why tell others what to do? don't get it. We have received 3 cancellations on our booking and we will continue to try until we get to go :-)....

I think the post may have put some folk's nose (mine included) out of joint, as it has that feel of someone  "man-splaining" something to me, assumedly because they can't imagine we would be booking if we knew what they knew.  In the OP's defence - I really don't think it was meant to be that way ... but interesting to see so many of us have that same thought "why are you telling me what to do???" in the title no less - lol !

• Like 4

Just now, SSFun said:

You can also get private trip insurance that will pay you back the price of the cruise if the cruise line goes belly up.

This is absolutely true and what I would recommend for people booking far in advance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is absolutely true and what I would recommend for people booking far in advance.

Good Advice!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Well, we can believe what we read on the internet or believe what our own credit card custodians have told us (and backed up with action).  Anybody can post anything they want on the internet.

In June of last year, many credit cards added the highlighted section below to their list of things not covered.  The below was taken directly from chase.com. I suppose is possible that your particular card is still covering cruise line bankruptcy, but to suggest "everyone in the USA is protected" is misleading.  What is the exact name of your visa card that is still offering this protection? We can look up their  "what's covered and "what's not covered" to see if they have added the highlighted section also.

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered
  • Financial insolvency of the Cardholder’s travel agency, tour operator, or travel supplier

Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance (chase.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainWoody said:

Yep.  I'll be waving, but I might not be using "all" of my fingers..  🤣

Back at you!   At least I can watch the ships from my condo as they sail through the Salish Sea from Seattle to the West Coast of Vancouver Island and head to Alaska and return.

Btw,  there are many people in Victoria who work to service the ships during their brief stay here and are sad that the Government of Canada felt the need to close our ports.   As our vaccinations ramp up quickly and covid numbers plummet (in fact BC currently has much fewer cases than does Washington State) I am sure 2022 will be a spectacular year for Alaska.  For anyone on a 2021 Alaska cruise I look forward to watching you pass by!   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

In June of last year, many credit cards added the highlighted section below to their list of things not covered.  The below was taken directly from chase.com. I suppose is possible that your particular card is still covering cruise line bankruptcy, but to suggest "everyone in the USA is protected" is misleading.  What is the exact name of your visa card that is still offering this protection? We can look up their  "what's covered and "what's not covered" to see if they have added the highlighted section also.

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered
  • Financial insolvency of the Cardholder’s travel agency, tour operator, or travel supplier

Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance (chase.com)

You are quoting what the credit card's trip interruption insurance covers.  That's totally different than what consumer protection laws cover.  If I pay for a service, and it's not delivered when agreed upon, than I get my money back as long as I report it within 60 days of when it was due.  I'm on a financial forum where this stuff was discussed ad nauseum last year.  When all the facts were found, the conclusion was clear.  I'm at zero risk.

6 minutes ago, TashaB said:

Back at you!   At least I can watch the ships from my condo as they sail through the Salish Sea from Seattle to the West Coast of Vancouver Island and head to Alaska and return.

Btw,  there are many people in Victoria who work to service the ships during their brief stay here and are sad that the Government of Canada felt the need to close our ports.   As our vaccinations ramp up quickly and covid numbers plummet (in fact BC currently has much fewer cases than does Washington State) I am sure 2022 will be a spectacular year for Alaska.  For anyone on a 2021 Alaska cruise I look forward to watching you pass by!   

Yeah, sorry about the implied....  I was really talking more about me "waving" to the folks in the Canadian government who made up this stuff.

36 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

You are quoting what the credit card's trip interruption insurance covers.  That's totally different than what consumer protection laws cover.  If I pay for a service, and it's not delivered when agreed upon, than I get my money back as long as I report it within 60 days of when it was due.  I'm on a financial forum where this stuff was discussed ad nauseum last year.  When all the facts were found, the conclusion was clear.  I'm at zero risk.

Having been through this with a business not a cruise line bankruptcy is a special case and you may or may not get money back right away or at all. It doesn’t fall under the standard business protections and depending on your credit card they may wait for court proceedings to go through first before reimbursement 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

Having been through this with a business not a cruise line bankruptcy is a special case and you may or may not get money back right away or at all. It doesn’t fall under the standard business protections and depending on your credit card they may wait for court proceedings to go through first before reimbursement 

I didn’t think we were talking about NCL bankruptcy.  Just cancelled cruises. 

52 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Hmmmm...not sure whether to believe you or not.

Somebody did say that anyone can post anything on the Internet. 🙄

16 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

I didn’t think we were talking about NCL bankruptcy.  Just cancelled cruises. 

Sorry my bad. Some one mentioned bankruptcy somewhere. So disregard what I said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Hmmmm...not sure whether to believe you or not.

Somebody did say that anyone can post anything on the Internet. 🙄

Sure.  You don’t need to believe me. Just pay extra for trip insurance or stop booking cruises.  It’s a free country. 

18 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Seriously. Until we see NCL ships sailing to their home ports full of crew, nothing is certain. You wanna be disappointed by more and more re-planning and cancellation? Be my guest. We all want to look forward to something. But for the first cruises going back, if you really wanna be certain, you’re probably gonna have to wait until a month-or-so out to book anything with any certainty anyway. I’ve found some of my best deals on cruises a month out so don’t despair. As long as it’s not high-season or a holiday, and you’re not a diva on picking “Cabin 12128” EXACTLY, you can get some good prices.

Don’t worry, You can be a diva later, once cruising is back. You might have to just relax on your laundry list of particularities for the first one. 

I know y’all are good planners and such but for this one, we just gonna have to wait it out a little longer. If you’re from the US, Not sure if you realize, but most other NCL cruisers’ countries and staff countries are under strict travel restrictions right now. So it’s not gonna be over for everyone till it’s over for all of us.

let’s see how the situation looks toward July when NCL actually start moving Human Resources and assets around, and in the meantime, if you’re in the US, enjoy maskless heaven within your borders now and get those vaccination rates up. Canada and UK have well surpassed the US’ first-dose vaccination rate now (you won’t hear that in the US media) and the US has to catch up if they are going to even have any hope going launching cruises with the current CDC standards. That is how the UK was able to launch its first domestic cruise last week. 

So make sure your ”peeps” (as the young ones say) go and get those shots, because the daily US per capita vaccination rates are dismal right now (back down to February levels) despite being awash in this white gold. (Again: You won’t hear this on mainstream US media like FOX or CNN, but it’s all over the news everywhere else). China is currently administering 16 million per day with totals of over 500 million. THAT is the level the US needs to be at for cruises to truly resume. Facts.

If you want to go cruising, telling your friends, family, workers and everyone else, to get the vaccine, is the #1 thing you can do, in your communities right now, to make cruising a reality, faster. Stop focusing on booking vapor-cruises and putting your energy into that instead. I mean, many of you are all retired, what’s the urgency in booking so far out? You got that much going in your retirement during lockdown that you can’t plan around a one week cruise and a 3 hour flight?

Not to mention, the last thing you want is not enough people vaccinated, another resurgence and wave, and we can kiss US cruises goodbye until 2022 minimum. How depressing is that?

Lmao ok. Aye aye captain..

• Haha 1

Well I feel it is kind of a chicken and the egg, if they offer cruises and no one books they will stop planning cruises.

Then the issue comes when should they offer a cruise?

I am booked for this fall and that cruise was booked 2 years ago, I am also booked on a cruise for the fall of 2022 that i booked earlier this year, I am hoping to go on that cruise the one this fall if if it is not cancelled I will still not be taking it, more out of bad timing with a new wedding planned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

Why would anybody lose their deposit?  They are fully refundable.  Even if the company goes belly up, the credit card company has to refund it.

I was talking bankruptcy and I thought you were also when you said "belly up"

I gave two examples where a consumer are not protected. One from the CC insurance aspect and one from the Federal Trade Commission. CC companies may protect you, but  I do not believe that everyone is "100% guaranteed to get all funds returned." As always, Consumer beware.

I do hear what you are saying about a promised service and agree that is a grey area, but I still don't think it's a given that all credit cards will refund. It's not a coincidence that shortly after the CDC stopped all cruise ships that several credit card companies added bankruptcy to the list of things that are not covered. If bankruptcy is filed, the consumer (you and I)  will get in the end of a long line of creditors seeking money.

I'm talking about original money given to NCL. At this point I think it's obvious that FCC and next cruise certs are not protected. If NCL goes "belly up", I believe those notes have zero value. I will personally get burned on a next cruise cert if that happens.

24 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Sure.  You don’t need to believe me. Just pay extra for trip insurance or stop booking cruises.  It’s a free country. 

Just wondering when it becomes free enough that people stop telling other people what to do (looking at you, OP).

And I already know I don't need to believe you. And sorry, but I don't need to buy trip insurance, and I don't need to stop booking cruises as I've been told it's a free country.

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I was talking bankruptcy and I thought you were also when you said "belly up"

I gave two examples where a consumer are not protected. One from the CC insurance aspect and one from the Federal Trade Commission. CC companies may protect you, but  I do not believe that everyone is "100% guaranteed to get all funds returned." As always, Consumer beware.

I do hear what you are saying about a promised service and agree that is a grey area, but I still don't think it's a given that all credit cards will refund. It's not a coincidence that shortly after the CDC stopped all cruise ships that several credit card companies added bankruptcy to the list of things that are not covered. If bankruptcy is filed, the consumer (you and I)  will get in the end of a long line of creditors seeking money.

I'm talking about original money given to NCL. At this point I think it's obvious that FCC and next cruise certs are not protected. If NCL goes "belly up", I believe those notes have zero value. I will personally get burned on a next cruise cert if that happens.

I believe there is a difference between a credit card and trip insurance. The credit card does not protect you against a company going bankrupt. However, some trip insurance actually has bankruptcy of the company you booked with as being covered. You are correct that there will be a long line of creditors seeking money, however, with the trip insurance, the insurance company is covering my trip, not NCL, not a bank (credit card).

49 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Just wondering when it becomes free enough that people stop telling other people what to do (looking at you, OP).

And I already know I don't need to believe you. And sorry, but I don't need to buy trip insurance, and I don't need to stop booking cruises as I've been told it's a free country.

I apologize if you felt that I was saying you needed to get trip insurance. When I said "You can also get private trip insurance that will pay you back the price of the cruise if the cruise line goes belly up." I was really just putting it out there as an alternative available to those that were saying they were worried about the money they were putting toward their cruises. We chose to get trip insurance for this trip because my MIL has some health issues and we wanted to be sure to not lose the cost of our trip should we have to cancel. As we were looking, one of the things covered on the policy we found was bankruptcy of the company. Thought this was interesting as I had no idea this was something anyone would be willing to cover. 🤔 Again, I am truly sorry if I made you feel I was telling you what to do - not at all my intention.

13 minutes ago, SSFun said:

I believe there is a difference between a credit card and trip insurance. The credit card does not protect you against a company going bankrupt. However, some trip insurance actually has bankruptcy of the company you booked with as being covered. You are correct that there will be a long line of creditors seeking money, however, with the trip insurance, the insurance company is covering my trip, not NCL, not a bank (credit card).

Oops! I replied to your comment here thinking that you were responding to my earlier comment about trip insurance because I used the words "belly up" (You can also get private trip insurance that will pay you back the price of the cruise if the cruise line goes belly up.). Didn't mean to jump in the middle of your conversation! lol

23 minutes ago, SSFun said:

I apologize if you felt that I was saying you needed to get trip insurance. When I said "You can also get private trip insurance that will pay you back the price of the cruise if the cruise line goes belly up." I was really just putting it out there as an alternative available to those that were saying they were worried about the money they were putting toward their cruises. We chose to get trip insurance for this trip because my MIL has some health issues and we wanted to be sure to not lose the cost of our trip should we have to cancel. As we were looking, one of the things covered on the policy we found was bankruptcy of the company. Thought this was interesting as I had no idea this was something anyone would be willing to cover. 🤔 Again, I am truly sorry if I made you feel I was telling you what to do - not at all my intention.

I think you need to take another read on it.

First, when you were talking about private trip insurance, you were talking with another poster, not with me.

Second, the post of mine that you quoted and are responding to was directed to another poster (who I quoted in my post) and not to you.

Let's try to keep the conversations separate so that things don't get confusing.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, SSFun said:

I agree with you. The credit card consumer protection does not automatically protect you if NCL goes bankrupt. However; Captain Woody believes otherwise and stated that all credit card purchases are 100% protected by consumer protection act and therefore he has nothing to worry about because he will get 100% of his money returned (if the cruise line goes belly up).

The cut and paste I offered specifically showing that bankruptcy was not protected came  from chase credit card in response to Captain woody suggestion we should look directly at the credit card policies (see post #54). I was trying to show that, at least in the case of Chase, credit card purchases are not protected against belly up .

This is getting really confusing. I can summarize; 

-Captain Woody thinks he is 100% covered from his Credit Card if the cruise lines go belly up.

-I respectfully disagree

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Posted (edited)

Y'all can keep going in circles all you want.  My personal experience is that last Spring, NCL cancelled a cruise that I had both paid deposit and paid final balance more than 60 days prior.  NCL further told me that if I elected a refund, it would take them something like 6 - 8 weeks to process it.  I called my credit card company and they told me I was entitled to immediate compensation since the merchant had cancelled the service I paid for.  They had the money back in my account within two weeks and after that it was between the credit card company and NCL.  Maybe some of you need to find more legitimate credit card providers.

Edited by CaptainWoody

I believe people  are confusing what is no longer covered there is a discussion here:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-trip-cancellation-interruption-changes/

It sounds like if the cruise line goes out of business other expenses related to that trip are no longer covered.  Not the  cruise cost itself, or did I misread the posting?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Excuse me OP.. BUT

Canada has  less than 2 million fully Vaccinated people 

USA has 133 million people fully vaccinated; and we have now approval to administer to children and we are starting/already in process.

I am so sick of Canada, and their self righteous pseudo superior Prime Minister  looking and speaking down their nose at the United States and it's citizens:

With all due respect:

Sir;  you and your country should get your own vaccination implementation organized and expedited , stop BEGGING the United States for our extra ( and yes actually your Government HAS! ) and worry about the ramifications to your health, economy and diplomacy when casting your vote in the next election.  

( Maybe YOUR news is the state sponsored propaganda! Maybe you like keeping/voting a Guy that dances around in Black face and chases little girls.. see Americans know too, but it is not our business and we are polite enough to keep our mouths shut and laugh behind your back!! )

Americans (USA not North Americans) Never bother to stick their nose in Canada's business - Why do Canadians always feel they are entitled to an opinion in USA business!! Newsflash your not - BUTT OUT! OR PAY TAXES!

Clean up your own back yard before sticking your nose over the fence and telling your neighbor what to do with their's!!

Edited by Gen X Life
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I believe people  are confusing what is no longer covered there is a discussion here:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-trip-cancellation-interruption-changes/

It sounds like if the cruise line goes out of business other expenses related to that trip are no longer covered.  Not the  cruise cost itself, or did I misread the posting?

Exactly.  Thanks.