MSC vs. Costa?

Stockjock

56 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Cancelled my Costa booking today.  They make you fill out an online form with a 90 day wait for refund and no written confirmation that one had requested cancellation, so I took a screenshot of the request just in case.

The Costa agent asked me why I was cancelling and I said it was to focus on a prior MSC booking, but I confessed that the onboard smoking situation was something I was not thrilled with.  She said, "Oh, that's absolutely not true.  I've taken several Costa cruises and I've never been bothered by smoke.  There is no smoking allowed in the cabins or public areas.  A few ships have a cigar bar, and it's okay to smoke there".

I asked, "So you cannot smoke on the balconies?"

She replied, "Yes, you can smoke on the balcony, but you are required to have a special ashtray."  I have no idea what that "special ashtray" is.

In any event, the deal is done.  I can't understand why Costa cannot send their customers a written record that the sailing was cancelled and refund requested, but whatever.

you made the best decision in your life...  costa=garbage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Cancelled my Costa booking today.  They make you fill out an online form with a 90 day wait for refund and no written confirmation that one had requested cancellation, so I took a screenshot of the request just in case.

The Costa agent asked me why I was cancelling and I said it was to focus on a prior MSC booking, but I confessed that the onboard smoking situation was something I was not thrilled with.  She said, "Oh, that's absolutely not true.  I've taken several Costa cruises and I've never been bothered by smoke.  There is no smoking allowed in the cabins or public areas.  A few ships have a cigar bar, and it's okay to smoke there".

I asked, "So you cannot smoke on the balconies?"

She replied, "Yes, you can smoke on the balcony, but you are required to have a special ashtray."  I have no idea what that "special ashtray" is.

In any event, the deal is done.  I can't understand why Costa cannot send their customers a written record that the sailing was cancelled and refund requested, but whatever.

congrats..  you saved yourself the derangement that is so evident here.   people flag comments here, i lost 4 but they all came back...  lol

Edited by ericfromri

16 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

i paid the service charges with my 500 euro suitcase they destroyed...do you look for arguments. i have always paid my service charge  i will not respond further

In your case I think you were justified because of your big loss.

However when our  suitcase was accidentally torn, they offered us only 60 Euros as compensation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Poor Stockjock, you seem to be having problems with everything.

Costa may not be the best Cruise line, but like I said earlier, any international Cruise is better than no Cruise.

Not sure sure that I'm having "problems with everything".  In fact, I have problems with very few things in life and Costa isn't one of them.  MSC is often a different story.  Not sure if you caught the fact that my LAY cruise was actually cancelled November 8, 2020 and now it's nearly 8 months later, still with no notification, and nothing but conflicting information only provided when I took it upon myself to ask.  Presumably, most wouldn't find that acceptable either.

That said, I've read about smoke issues from several who have sailed on Costa, and of course that would be a concern to a non-smoker.  At some future date, I may give them a try and find out firsthand if that's a major issue.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to receive a confirmation of cancellation, especially considering that the $800 deposit isn't expected to be received until perhaps 1.5 months after final payment is due.  It's nice to have some form of written proof to clearly establish that the booking was cancelled during the penalty-free period. 

But as noted, I'm going to focus on the upcoming 11 night MSC sailing out of "Rome" and have adjusted flights and hotels accordingly.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

It's nice to have some form of written proof to clearly establish that the booking was cancelled during the penalty-free period.

But as noted, I'm going to focus on the upcoming 11 night MSC sailing out of "Rome" and have adjusted flights and hotels accordingly.

All the best Stockjock!

I hope you get your refund soon.

I have received Costa refunds in less than 30 days, so I don't foresee any problem there. (But that was when Costa cancelled the cruise, not me)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your MSc Cruise.

we always do

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

you made the best decision in your life...  costa=garbage

I think the best decision I've made was getting rid of a certain ex-girlfriend.  Buying a tech stock and making enough to buy an exotic car with the proceeds ranks right up there too.  So we'll put the Costa cancellation at perhaps the third best decision.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2