First Celebrity Cruise

We did Alaska starting on May 22 a few years back and had wonderfully warm weather and clear skies except for morning in Ketchikan.   Alaska many be one of the places you  and your son would find a balcony enjoyable. We saw ice floes and other sites from our balcony.   Also a lot of daytime hours to spend outside. 
We sailed on the silhouette that time. 
Gail

All of you have been so helpful!  I really appreciate that everyone has so much to share...

Now, I have to find the forum that has the shore excursions, lol!  I really seem to struggle with this particular travel site.  I do much better with Disboards for WDW!

Thanks to all, and Sparkle on! 

NonnaTLC 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 9:24 AM, lobsternight said:

We have done Alaska many times, nothing wrong with ocean view.  We do balconies now, and won't do inside anymore.  You are right in that May will probably be chilly, so pack many layers.  Definitely go on deck for the glaciers. Lots of good excurions to choose from, though some can be quite expensive.  Would suggest Taku lodge salmon bake out of Juneau, if not, get some fresh king crab at Tracy's Crab shack then head over for a Duck Fart at the Red Dog Saloon. Will agree that Millenium Class ships are the perfect size.

The Taku Lodge salmon bake has my vote too.

I can also recommend the Grizzly Falls zip line experience in Skagway. My wife and I were in our mid 60s and did it in 2015 while on a Millie cruise. Amazing experience.

Do the Denali x 3 if possible. We did it as a post cruise 7 day tour by coach and train to Fairbanks.

• Like 1

I just skimmed this thread and there are so many good ideas and suggestions for a first time visitor to my state.

Nothing is a "must do."  There are a number of options in this state.  I don't mean to sound snippy or sarcastic but something is only a "must do" if you want to do it.  

As someone who lives about a two hour drive north of the entrance to Denali National Park I will give my opinion for what it is worth.  While some folks are content with the Natural History Tour or the Tundra Wilderness Tours I feel that folks who don't go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center have cheated themselves.  The EVC is across from the base of Denali and has spectacular views when Denali is visible. There are also interpretive exhibits and ranger lead hikes.  And you also drive over Polychrome Pass.  While the park itself never closes the single road into the park opens on a schedule.  The shuttle buses to EVC start June 1st this year.

And I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but during the cruise season folks won't be seating "fresh" king crab.  The Alaska king crab fishery is a winter fishery which runs from October through January.  I know that a number of those restaurants, including one already mentioned by a prior poster, can imply that they are serving "fresh" king crab, but they are serving freshly frozen king crab.  Several years ago my husband and I took one of the Alaska state ferries from Kodiak to Unalaska/Dutch Harbor where we stayed for several days.  Even in Unalaska we were eating frozen king crab.  It is still very tasty.  

The Alaska Cruise Critic forum is located under "Ports of Call."  Many helpful posts.  And at the top of the forum are the 2019 trip reports which are full of info.  I bumped up a very helpful thread titled "2019 Resources for planning a trip to Alaska" which was compiled by a helpful poster ("mapleleaves").  She compiled an extensive list of websites.  

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, keels81 said:

I watched the glaciers from the hot tub in the Solarium on the Solstice - so I definitely recommend that! 🤣

Sounds nice!

On 5/30/2021 at 1:09 PM, dkjretired said:

Unless your balcony is aft, I would go up on deck as there may be wildlife visible on the other side you won’t see. Celebrity will have a naturalist on board doing a play by play.

Also, to the OP, shore excursions in Alaska are generally pricey.

I’m hoping there is a good view from the retreat sun deck so we can avoid the crowds. Will probably also use our balcony a lot on this cruise. 

On 5/30/2021 at 2:31 PM, NCHPcruiser said:

We loved our Millennium Alaska cruise about four years ago.  It was about our eighth time on board a Celebrity ship (first M class)  and it was by far the most casual of all.  There were also many multi-generational family groups.   Loved the cruise, but we thought it had a different vibe than our usual Celebrity cruise.  

How casual?  Jeans?  Are jeans even allowed in Luminae?  I’m thinking not. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Sounds nice!

I’m hoping there is a good view from the retreat sun deck so we can avoid the crowds. Will probably also use our balcony a lot on this cruise. 

How casual?  Jeans?  Are jeans even allowed in Luminae?  I’m thinking not. 

Jeans are absolutely allowed in Luminae.....Our concern when we went to Alaska was bring clothes so we could layer them.   You can be one place and it will be 35degrees and a few hours later be 70.   

• Like 1