Farewell Captain Stubing

Sad to hear 😔 

I dreamt about cruising watching that show 😉   He brought a lot of joy to many.  May he Rest In Peace 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sad to hear 😔 

I dreamt about cruising watching that show 😉   

I watched it when I was young but didn't actually dream of cruising  as I still just saw it as something 'rich' people did. At that point in my life it was just a tad more realistic to me than Fantasy Island! 

We wanted to try Princess so we booked a Mexican Riviera cruise  just last week as I figured it would be  a quintessential Princess cruise itinerary reliving my memories of Love Boat. 

I too am sadden to hear this. Loved watching that show. In recent years I have cruised Princess quite a bit and our very last cruise was on the Royal Princess in February 2020 before the pause. One of the things that is unique to Princess is you can watch on one of their channels episodes of Love Boat. I actually watched several  episodes last February, some I remembered some I did not. It was fund to actually see some of the stars they actually had on that show. Many before they became famous.

RIP Captain 😢 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

He was 90 years old. So a full life and for several years of that entertained some of us weekly.

Condolences and Sympathy to his family! RIP Master Of The Love Boat!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 7

Captain, fair seas and following winds as you begin your "eternal cruise".  

Thank you so very much for the joy and entertainment that you provided for so many millions during your career.  

• Like 5

The Love Boat tv show helped reignite the cruise industry, after travel abroad by jet plane became commonplace. While flying from A to B was faster than a ship, planes couldn't compete with the  camaraderie, social interaction, and exotic ports offered by cruising. The Love Boat portrayed it perfectly, and Princess struck a gold mine.  

• Like 6

If anyone gets ME TV, The Love Boat is on Sunday nights at 6PM (at least in my area). It's fun to see the old shows and the San Pedro cruise terminal - a lot has changed since that show was shot.

• Like 2

Mrs Banjo and I watched “The Love Boat” even before we were married.  I think it was her mother’s favorite show.  Anyway, because of that show, we booked our first ever cruise on the Island Princess to Alaska in 1990.  In 1992, we booked her I sister ship, Pacific Princess, from Tahiti to Hawaii.  We were hooked on cruising and on small ships.  Sad to see the superstars of true entertainment passing away....... Rest In Peace Captain.

• Like 2

It was probably The Love Boat that first piqued my interest in cruising. Without that show, I might not have taken the chance when my first opportunity to cruise came along. It started a life-long passion. 

And who can ever forget 'Murray' on The Mary Tyler Moore Show? Great character well performed. 

RIP, Captain. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, RuthC said:

And who can ever forget 'Murray' on The Mary Tyler Moore Show? Great character well performed. 

Absolutely!  

21 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

If anyone gets ME TV, The Love Boat is on Sunday nights at 6PM (at least in my area). It's fun to see the old shows and the San Pedro cruise terminal - a lot has changed since that show was shot.

My area does get ME TV and I was watching tonight's show a few minutes ago.  I actually remembered that I had seen that episode!

Lots have changed, indeed.  But, my memories have not.  

• Like 1

Gavin came to St Petersburg a few years ago as a guest conductor for our Florida Orchestra.  He was pleasantly talkative in between pieces, explaining he had never been to Tampa Bay as it seemed Princess never sailed from Tampa.  He was proud of his fame as the Captain, even after so many years.  Of course, the Orchestra was compelled to play the Love Boat theme.   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, saltshell said:

How about a reboot of the series.

History is filled with what was once "old" became "new" again.  I agree.  Using a vessel as modern as the new Princess ships as background:  there might be enough of a "Wow" factor that some might see that could entice a new generation of cruisers.  

Posted (edited)

Ok everybody, here we go. Pretend we're in the old Piano Bar and sing along !

Love, exciting and new
Come aboard,  we're expecting you.
Love, life's sweetest reward.
Let it flow, it floats back to you.
The love boat soon will be making another run
The love boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new romance.
Love won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile on a friendly shore.

The love boat soon will be making another run
The love boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new romance. 
Love won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile on a friendly shore.
It's love! it's love! it's love!
It's the love boat-ah! it's the love boat-ah!

(Lyrics by Paul Williams/Charlie Fox) 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 3