Maps.Me or Google maps OFF LINE for a Android phone

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2021 at 9:59 AM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Which is better for a Android  phone ( OFF LINE)   for a walking map   Maps.ME or Google maps . out side of the U.S. ... have Google Fi .Moto #6

Since you are a Fi subscriber/user with a Moto G6 - data coverage is good in 140 countries and being familiar with how to use Google Maps, both live & offline - I recommend downloading the regional/local map for places that you plan to visit ahead (I believe the updated/current maps are valid for at least 30 to 60 days of use) whether it's for walking or driving.  

To avoid unnecessary data charges, set it to Airplane mode & then re-enable WiFi, should your device get free access to VPN secured WiFi coverage in places.

BTW, off-topics: you should consider upgrading & replacing your Moto G6 to a newer model, like the inexpensive 2021 Moto Power thru Google Fi channel for the account, with its larger battery that's good for 2 to 3 days of typical use, extra mSD card storage capacity and just better features, functions & current Android security patches ... the Moto G6 is on Pie/Android 9 and has reached end of life support by Motorola.  DW was briefly on the Moto Power 2020, which is even better but no longer available thru Fi, and only paid $50+tax for it during one of the sales promo.  Otherwise, Moto's newest 5G models thru Fi are also nicely priced for an upgrade and worthwhile ... DW already switched to Samsung's Galaxy S21 5G, one of the flagship with excellent 3 lens camera & took advantage of the trade-in discount.

My primary smartphone is a Pixel 3a XL with great camera, nice hardware & wonderful software so I am biased using Android OS, current using an eSim card with the physical card slot free for a 2nd. sim (prepaid or Google Fi data only) as it is running Android 11, waiting for this Fall's upgrade to Android 12.  We do use iPad & iPad Air 2 unlocked, plus my current backup is an iPhone SE 2020 (with an extended & integrated battery pack-case) - also eSim enabled so that when traveling abroad, I have 2 dual-sim, dual-standby mobile devices to access cellular, data & WiFi as needed.  

Enjoy your upcoming cruise & stay healthy ! 

30 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Since you are a Fi subscriber/user with a Moto G6 - data coverage is good in 140 countries and being familiar with how to use Google Maps, both live & offline - I recommend downloading the regional/local map for places that you plan to visit ahead (I believe the updated/current maps are valid for at least 30 to 60 days of use) whether it's for walking or driving.  

To avoid unnecessary data charges, set it to Airplane mode & then re-enable WiFi, should your device get free access to VPN secured WiFi coverage in places.

BTW, off-topics: you should consider upgrading & replacing your Moto G6 to a newer model, like the inexpensive 2021 Moto Power thru Google Fi channel for the account, with its larger battery that's good for 2 to 3 days of typical use, extra mSD card storage capacity and just better features, functions & current Android security patches ... the Moto G6 is on Pie/Android 9 and has reached end of life support by Motorola.  DW was briefly on the Moto Power 2020, which is even better but no longer available thru Fi, and only paid $50+tax for it during one of the sales promo.  Otherwise, Moto's newest 5G models thru Fi are also nicely priced for an upgrade and worthwhile ... DW already switched to Samsung's Galaxy S21 5G, one of the flagship with excellent 3 lens camera & took advantage of the trade-in discount.

My primary smartphone is a Pixel 3a XL with great camera, nice hardware & wonderful software so I am biased using Android OS, current using an eSim card with the physical card slot free for a 2nd. sim (prepaid or Google Fi data only) as it is running Android 11, waiting for this Fall's upgrade to Android 12.  We do use iPad & iPad Air 2 unlocked, plus my current backup is an iPhone SE 2020 (with an extended & integrated battery pack-case) - also eSim enabled so that when traveling abroad, I have 2 dual-sim, dual-standby mobile devices to access cellular, data & WiFi as needed.  

Enjoy your upcoming cruise & stay healthy ! 

How much is the 2021 Moto power???

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

How much is the 2021 Moto power???

Use this link to find your Fi account details & upgrade pricing as existing customer, should be the same as ours (discounts & offers are higher for "new" accounts, as always) - your old "Moto G6" in working order (scratches & minor dents and normal wear/tear are okay, as long as the screen isn't chipped or cracked - keep your Moto Turbo charger & USB-C cable as they are 100% compatible for use), still get a $15 trade-in value, deducted once you shipped in & upon satisfactory (that'll cover your sales tax).   Google Fi will send you a free, postage prepaid box to pack & ship your trade-in device for a credit against your credit card used for the transaction, easy & simple.  Or, you can keep it as a spare/backup ... giveaway to a neighbor or friend, donate to a non-profit charity / domestic violence help agency, etc. 

The Moto Power 21 is currently priced at $149 for u/g pricing and the Moto Ace 5G is slightly higher at $199, with 6.6" and 6.7" Max Vision HD+ display (it is very sharp compared to the Moto G6) and takes very good & with its 48MP camera ... battery is 5,000 mAH good for 2 days+ for the "Power" and 3 days+ on the "Ace 5G" (which is a little more future proof as global travelers & cruising, as other countries are ahead with their networks, which Fi fortunately get on without being throttled) at $50 more.  These are very good prices for a fully unlocked smartphone as you probably well know.  

https://fi.google.com/about/promo-terms/?p=2021-july20-motorola-one

The hardware & performance of the 2021 Moto Power is actually not as good/fast as the 2020 Power, which Fi no longer offer, but we're really impressed with the extended standby & use time - DW no longer need to put hers on an overnight charger like the G6, even with moderate to heavy use on cellular data (WiFi is "easier" on draining the battery).  *** In contrast, my pocket-sized & slim iPhone SE 2020 has a 1800+ mAH battery, which should last a day but for travel and extra reserve power, I added - at my own expense - an integrated battery case rated at 3,200 mAH+ or better, nearly tripling the total standby/use time.  While on trips & tours abroad all day, there is no way to plug in a car charger & those available USB ports aren't always working nor reliable/secure enough for me to connect for a boost - the old way was a standalone USB power brick/portable battery.  

Good luck & I think you will like either one after the upgrade and find it will serve you well for a while, for what I consider a very nominal upcharge to trade for. 

Edited by mking8288

14 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Use this link to find your Fi account details & upgrade pricing as existing customer, should be the same as ours (discounts & offers are higher for "new" accounts, as always) - your old "Moto G6" in working order (scratches & minor dents and normal wear/tear are okay, as long as the screen isn't chipped or cracked - keep your Moto Turbo charger & USB-C cable as they are 100% compatible for use), still get a $15 trade-in value, deducted once you shipped in & upon satisfactory (that'll cover your sales tax).  

The Moto Power 21 is currently priced at $149 for u/g pricing and the Moto Ace 5G is slightly higher at $199, with 6.6" and 6.7" Max Vision HD+ display (it is very sharp compared to the Moto G6) and takes very good & with its 48MP camera ... battery is 5,000 mAH good for 2 days+ for the "Power" and 3 days+ on the "Ace 5G" (which is a little more future proof as global travelers & cruising, as other countries are ahead with their networks, which Fi fortunately get on without being throttled) at $50 more.  These are very good prices for a fully unlocked smartphone as you probably well know.  

https://fi.google.com/about/promo-terms/?p=2021-july20-motorola-one

The hardware & performance of the 2021 Moto Power is actually not as good/fast as the 2020 Power, which Fi no longer offer, but we're really impressed with the extended standby & use time - DW no longer need to put hers on an overnight charger like the G6, even with moderate to heavy use on cellular data (WiFi is "easier" on draining the battery).  *** In contrast, my pocket-sized & slim iPhone SE 2020 has a 1800+ mAH battery, which should last a day but for travel and extra reserve power, I added - at my own expense - an integrated battery case rated at 3,200 mAH+ or better, nearly tripling the total standby/use time.  While on trips & tours abroad all day, there is no way to plug in a car charger & those available USB ports aren't always working nor reliable/secure enough for me to connect for a boost - the old way was a standalone USB power brick/portable battery.  

Good luck & I think you will like either one after the upgrade and find it will serve you well for a while, for what I consider a very nominal upcharge to trade for. 

THANKS a lot.