Check this out..for cruising out of Florida...looks like backroom deals and The Governor Blinked

Lois R

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

It seems that his gambit to secure support of the anti-vaxxer element might backfire on him.  I suspect he will find a way out of the cul de sac he manufactured fir himself, but it is a shame that so much governmental wheel spinning was ever put in place.

Posted (edited)

NCL board mods deleted my post of this article, even though it’s a legit news site (Forbes), I used the actual headline, and it directly impacts all cruise lines/cruisers, either directly in Florida or in spillover effects of higher confidence in cruising, more booking, fewer canceled sailings, etc. 

It lasted about three hours, even though the other NCL board thread about DeSantis was allowed to stand for weeks of useless bickering, and only just now got locked (not deleted like mine was). 

This is legitimate, GOOD news that directly affects the industry and cruisers, and it’s ridiculous that posts here still get deleted with no explanation.

If you want people to follow your rules, EXPLAIN THE RULES. Don’t have any? Make some, and moderate them consistently. Good grief.

The same post has been allowed to stand in other cruise lines’ subforums. 

Edited by AdoraBelle

Looks like DeSantis caved.  I'm surprised he caved this early, tbh, though I'm glad for the cruise and related industries. It's good news.

I posted this to the Princess boards when I first saw it, but I see now that the headline has changed but the article is old. I can't find another news source with this story (yet?), but perhaps Forbes will publish more info soon.  Otherwise, I wonder where this came from. Great news if it holds up.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:29 AM, ysolde said:

Looks like DeSantis caved.  I'm surprised he caved this early, tbh, though I'm glad for the cruise and related industries. It's good news.

In drilling down into the article there was this quote from Celebrity's Dondra Ritzenthaler: "..“he was talking about restaurants, bars, hotels, Disney, places that weren’t cruise ships — because at the time, cruise ships weren’t open yet.. And we’re ironing out a statement that will articulate how cruising will be different than [being] in the state.”

A lot of us would see a difference between vaccination for an out-of-country trip but then the same logic would extend such a requirement for other things.   The Alaska Marine Highway System is a ferry which requires vaccination or covid testing.  How many places would have a sign on the door reading, "Vaccination card required for entry"?

• 2 weeks later...

I will not feel confident to cruise, unless proof of vaccination is required. If you disagree with the Florida Governor’s efforts to dictate what cruise lines can require, then consider emailing your thoughts. His email is: GovernorRon.DeSantis@eog.myflorida.com

This is NOT about politics. This is about cruising with confidence and our safety. I won’t cruise unless the cruise line is allowed to enforce some requirements. This is the email I just sent with a copy to my favorite cruise line:

Dear Governor,
I am very unhappy with your current efforts to dictate what requirements the cruise lines can establish. Regulating business is not a core value of conservatives.

You must realize the average age of those who cruise - the elderly are most at risk from this pandemic. We will NOT be coming to Florida to cruise unless the cruise line can enforce vaccination proof to ensure our safety.

For many of us, cruising is our form of entertainment - it’s not about politics.

Keric and Jan Ashley
Rancho Cordova, California