Summit/Millenium swap theory???

NanaPam00

So I have heard this twice in the last day - that Celebrity is swapping the Summit and Millie, sending Summit to St. Maarten and Millie to Alaska. Could someone explain this to me? Summit is in Miami and Millie is hanging out near St. Maarten right now. What would be achieved by swapping? 

(Since the first Millie Cruises are in a couple of weeks, I am the ‘not true’ camp….)

• Like 1

While the theory wouldn't normally make sense, my Millennium July 3rd sailing no longer shows up out of St. Maarten, and I can see some itineraries for the Millie out of Seattle... Getting pretty concerned about this (on hold with Celebrity trying to find out "what is going on")

1 hour ago, gauchotex said:

While the theory wouldn't normally make sense, my Millennium July 3rd sailing no longer shows up out of St. Maarten, and I can see some itineraries for the Millie out of Seattle... Getting pretty concerned about this (on hold with Celebrity trying to find out "what is going on")

It's July 4th weekend, so the sailing could have sold out since the ones before and after yours are still there. Let us know if you have an update!

Edited by AbbyCruiser45
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

OP where have you heard this ?

In a roll call and a thread here….it seemed to spring out of nowhere. Like I said, I’m skeptical and I don’t see what the point would be of swapping basically identical ships.

This MAY be why. See the status “Restricted Maneuverability” Shes been out there doing laps at slow speed for a day now after looking like she attempted to approach the harbor for a berth and then did a 180

@chengkp75 Can you take a quick look at the AIS status, and based on her track tell me if Im way off base here? 

A597D587-E134-44B7-B958-D8A50C277B08.jpeg

0B2FC11D-4765-4553-9F59-6CFA386D8F65.jpeg

Edited by BoundForSea

5 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

So I have heard this twice in the last day - that Celebrity is swapping the Summit and Millie, sending Summit to St. Maarten and Millie to Alaska. Could someone explain this to me? Summit is in Miami and Millie is hanging out near St. Maarten right now. What would be achieved by swapping? 

(Since the first Millie Cruises are in a couple of weeks, I am the ‘not true’ camp….)

Where did you hear this Nanapam?

I hope it was not a dream! 😁

From my point of view, any ship is better than no ship. I am packed!

5 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

Where did you hear this originally? Were booked on a June 12 b2b and as many are watching this closely. 

2 hours ago, gauchotex said:

I am on that cruise......Summit, Millie or Silly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanaPam00 said:

In a roll call and a thread here….it seemed to spring out of nowhere. Like I said, I’m skeptical and I don’t see what the point would be of swapping basically identical ships.

Are there two roll calls for July 3?

1 hour ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

It's July 4th weekend, so the sailing could have sold out since the ones before and after yours are still there. Let us know if you have an update!

This was the explanation I was given by the agent on the phone who took my call... Though I will also say that she was guessing the same way we all seem to be. 

She did mention that several groups were booked on it too, so she thought that may be a reason why they also took it off the website... 

Guess we have no more option than wait and see.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:47 AM, NanaPam00 said:

The Bill passed in Senate allowing ships to return to Alaska mentions specific ships from each cruise line.... the Summit is not listed.  It's so late in the game though, I doubt the Millennium will be yanked.  We shall see  74 days till St. Maarten!

FB_IMG_1622557300777.jpg

FB_IMG_1622557306858.jpg

FB_IMG_1622557314485.jpg

FB_IMG_1622557320553.jpg

11 minutes ago, TheMettins said:

The Bill passed in Senate allowing ships to return to Alaska mentions specific ships from each cruise line.... the Summit is not listed.  It's so late in the game though, I doubt the Millennium will be yanked.  We shall see  74 days till St. Maarten!

I agree - the first sailing in this Saturday, so I guess we will know soon enough! Summit is still in Florida and Millenium is currently ported in Philipsburg.....

While planning for my cruise I found it interesting that I wasn't able to download an Alaska shore excursion brochure for the Summit.  Interestingly excursions aren't available for booking in the Cruise Planner either.  Out of curiosity I changed the ship to the Millennium for the same sailing date and up popped an excursion brochure for Millennium in Alaska!  I tried that for several Alaska sailings and achieved the same result.  Just another data point that appears to support the Summit to Millie theory.

My first Celebrity cruise was on the Summit, so it would have been nice to sail on her again, but not opposed to the Millie. Can't wait to get back either way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DisneyJim said:

While planning for my cruise I found it interesting that I wasn't able to download an Alaska shore excursion brochure for the Summit.  Interestingly excursions aren't available for booking in the Cruise Planner either.  Out of curiosity I changed the ship to the Millennium for the same sailing date and up popped an excursion brochure for Millennium in Alaska!  I tried that for several Alaska sailings and achieved the same result.  Just another data point that appears to support the Summit to Millie theory.

My first Celebrity cruise was on the Summit, so it would have been nice to sail on her again, but not opposed to the Millie. Can't wait to get back either way!

Or alternatively, the IT dept is so far behind that those were the excursions from when Millie was originally on Alaskan cruises.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Or alternatively, the IT dept is so far behind that those were the excursions from when Millie was originally on Alaskan cruises.  

Correct. When I selected the Millenium for the July 30th sailing, the itinerary is the new Summit sailing, yet when one looks at the shore excursions offerings on certain days, they don't align.

For instance, Ketchikan shows as the first port on August 1, yet the tours offered are for Juneau. Skagway on August 3 offers Hoonah Sightseeing & Tribal Dance along with Worlds longest ziprider, all Icy Strait excursions. The best, however, is whilst we're at sea August 4 & 5, one can select the Ketchikan lumberjack show or Historic Ketchikan Trolley. Hmmmm.

Sorry, DisneyJim. I don't believe it's a data point for a ship swap but rather an IT nightmare that has yet to be corrected. But like you, we are certainly excited to be sailing again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DogLover said:

Correct. When I selected the Millenium for the July 30th sailing, the itinerary is the new Summit sailing, yet when one looks at the shore excursions offerings on certain days, they don't align.

For instance, Ketchikan shows as the first port on August 1, yet the tours offered are for Juneau. Skagway on August 3 offers Hoonah Sightseeing & Tribal Dance along with Worlds longest ziprider, all Icy Strait excursions. The best, however, is whilst we're at sea August 4 & 5, one can select the Ketchikan lumberjack show or Historic Ketchikan Trolley. Hmmmm.

Sorry, DisneyJim. I don't believe it's a data point for a ship swap but rather an IT nightmare that has yet to be corrected. But like you, we are certainly excited to be sailing again!

DL,  I definitely spotted that right away... the whole itinerary looks a mess.  But I'm down to get on any ship they give us regardless.  

I'm on the Millennium on 7/31.  It's Caribbean, although the Shore Ex are somewhat messed up - I believe that the change to the itinerary for Saturday (going to Barbados first) has messed up some stuff.  My travel companions are doing the Carlyle beach break in Barbados on day 6, yet it says Curacao.  I think it's because on the next couple, day 6 is Curacao.

Note also that the list includes the Discovery Princess.  The ship is currently being constructed in Italy, and won't be arriving here until February or March.