Hey all, we are the NCL Bliss on August 7th. We are looking at spending a few days in Seattle but have a few questions. I know the answers will be subjective, but any help would be great!! 

1) how far is the airport to the port? 

2) how many days is a good amount to visit around Seattle? 

3) best place/area to stay?  Likely near the port if it is a good area.

4) to visit Seattle, should we be renting a vehicle? 

5) best things to do in Seattle if only there for a couple of days. 

Haven't sailed from Seattle yet (We're on a Celebrity sailing from there in July!), but we visited Seattle 2 years ago and didn't need a car at all. We took an Uber from the airport to our hotel and walked around the city the entire weekend. Our group was 40s/50s. The map made it seem more spread out than it actually is and when we decided to walk, we were surprised at how easy it was.

The Chihuly Glass museum is interesting and in the same area as the Space Needle which has a great view at the top...Glass floor that rotates. We did the obligatory visit to the original Starbucks as well as the nearby farmers market. The Starbucks Reserve is a nice contrast to the original. Very elaborate and interesting to watch them roast the coffee.

The Underground tour is a must! SO interesting to hear the history of Seattle.

Had a nice dinner at the Pink Door...recommended to us by some locals.

Enjoy!

Do you like shellfish and don't mind getting messy? Try the Crab Pot restaurant located on the waterfront right next to the ferris wheel, cant miss it.  You pick the combo of seafood you want, they dump it out of buckets onto the table, take your little wooden mallet and go to town.  You also get a plastic bib.  Think it was once featured on Man vs. Food if you want to watch it.  

Also if you like it loud, should be into Seahawks pre season games.  We do the Crab Pot then walk to the game.  Not this year though as we are still waiting for Can/US border to reopen.

3 hours ago, jcu1210 said:

4) to visit Seattle, should we be renting a vehicle? 

5) best things to do in Seattle if only there for a couple of days. 

#4:  NO!

#5:  Another vote for the Chihuly Glass Museum and the Space Needle; if the restaurant is open, maybe a lunch or dinner there.  Why?  Because it is something that one does not get to do everyday.

A visit to Pike Place Market is an experience.  Many restaurants and small cafes are also in that location that offer exceptional dining experiences at a reasonable price.

The Hop On/Off Bus may start operating again.  If so, that is an inexpensive way to get an overview of the city and its main attractions.  Strongly recommend that and depending on your hotel's location, it may be the simplest and most cost effective way of getting around the city.  

Most attractions are around either the waterfront or Seattle center (space needle). They are connected by monorail which is cool anyway and pretty cheap. 

If you want to get further afield to like Mt Rainer; then yes you need a car. If you get one; the museum of flight is pretty awesome and not very easy to get to on the mass transit system. 

as for the port, the cruise terminal isn’t really by anything and on the opposite side of town from the airport. 

16 hours ago, rsldonk said:

as for the port, the cruise terminal isn’t really by anything

Pier 91, yes, that is true.  But, don't forget that there is a pier in the downtown area across from the Seattle Marriott that NCL and some other cruise lines use.  

Responding as a local, so my views are possibly at odds with others'.

There are two cruise terminals, one close to downtown (Pier 66, served mainly by Norwegian) and Pier 91, located a couple of miles north of downtown, which is served by the other major lines.  There are no hotels close to Pier 91, so a taxi/Uber or limo service is the best way to get to and from.  Transportation from the airport to either cruise terminal and/or to most downtown hotels will cost in the $50 - $60 range for a cab or limo; possibly a bit less (or more, depending on "surge pricing") in Uber/Lyft.  You can take the light rail from the airport to various stops in downtown Seattle, close to various hotels, but the light rail doesn't go to the cruise terminals, and in the case of Pier 66 (downtown) there's a very steep hill/bluff between the hotel zone and the waterfront.  Taxis from most downtown hotels to Pier 66 will be $10 or less; probably double that for Pier 91.

There are two high-quality hotels very close to Pier 66; the Marriott which is right across the street, and the Edgewater which sits on piers over the water, a block or two north of the terminal.  In the case of the Marriott, it's fairly convenient to an elevator that will take you up the bluff to close to the Pike Place market.  There are also numerous restaurants and tourist attractions, like the aquarium and the big Ferris wheel, right on the central waterfront a short walk from PIer 66.

In terms of sightseeing, I'm frankly not much of a fan of the Space Needle, which IMO is overpriced, particularly in a hilly city where there are numerous "free" viewpoints easily accessible.  For example, just down the street from Pier 66 is the Washington State Ferry terminal, from which you can ride on a ferry over to picturesque Bainbridge Island, or else on a "water taxi" over to West Seattle on the opposite side of Elliott Bay.  From both ferries the views of the downtown skyline (including the Space Needle) and both the Olympic and Cascade mountains, including Mount Rainier if it's visible, are stupendous.  Here's the water taxi arriving in West Seattle:

P1000136aHs.jpg

The Chihuly exhibit (at Seattle Center, more or less at the foot of the Space Needle) is a big draw.  If you must visit the Space Needle, there's usually a combo ticket available that includes the Chihuly exhibit.  

Two in-city destinations that I would mention specifically are The Museum of Flight (at Boeing Field a couple of miles south of downtown) and Fishermen's Terminal, located around 3 miles north of downtown.  An Uber ride to either will probably cost $10 - $20 depending on demand.  The Museum of Flight is (in my view) the second-best air and space museum in the country (after the Smithsonian in Washington DC) and Fishermen's Terminal, which is the home port for much of the Puget Sound and Alaska commercial fishing fleet, is a terrific place to walk around the piers and all the fishing boats, including some of the big Bering Sea crabbers, while enjoying a meal at one of a couple of excellent restaurants/cafes overlooking the boats.  

Museum of Flight 

20110716_22a.jpg

Fishermen's Terminal

P1000106as.jpg

The Pike Place market is rightly famous, but I would recommend visiting as early in the morning as possible, as crowds can build up to enormous size by lunch time.  I'd go there for breakfast at one of the old-time cafes overlooking the harbor, the Athenian or Lowell's, and watch the merchants set up for the day, and plan to be gone by 10 or 11 at the latest.  

As for how much time to spend here, well, do you have a lifetime?  😉  If you had a spare day and can locate a rental car (a dicey and very expensive proposition this year) I'd suggest a day trip (on a weekday, NOT on the weekend) up to the Paradise visitor center on Mount Rainier.  In early August the odds are good that the (amazing) wildflowers will be around, and the views of the mountain are terrific.  I'd spend an hour driving east (and back) from Paradise on the Stevens Canyon Road out to the Reflection Lakes, for even more awesome views.  

20120903_677s.jpg

There are many more things to see and do, again depending on your time, budget and energy levels.

Happy travels!

Here was my response to another thread slightly modified:

Seattle is a wonderful with great sights, great food and very walkable. It does depend on your interests, but Seattle has a week or more worth of great things to see. You just have to pare down what you like. No, you don't need a car for a few days trip. If you stay in the business district, it is very walkable to lots of great stuff.

We love riding the ferry to Bremerton (or Port Orchard, or other spots) to have lunch ans sightsee in those areas.

Underground Seattle is unbelievable. The Space Needle and the whole complex (IMAX, the museums, the monorail), Pike Place Market, there are just a ton of things to do and great places to eat. The shopping in Downtown is great and we love going to the original Nordstrom.

Thank you Gardyloo and scottca075 for the recommendations!  We will be visiting next month (after an on and off, two year wait!) and I am on here looking for hotel and attraction advice.

JoeAndrew, I think you are on our sailing as I saw your name in roll call.  🙂

Any hotel recommendations?  I would love to stay at the Inn at the Market (I am a tourist afterall, lol) but the rest of my group are looking at a lower price tag as we only get the one night.

Thanks to OP for putting the question out there.  Looking forward to any suggestions.

Great advise from Gardyloo.  The Ballard locks (25 ft) drop is another site to visit.  It is 6 blocks west from The Fishermans Termainal.  The Ballard locks has a Fish Ladder which is full of Salmon in the summertime, can see the sea lions at the base of the dam feeding on the salmon and the boats going through the Locks, including fishing boats heading to Alaska.  It is snowing up at Paradise now with 2 inches overnight.  

22 hours ago, cheone said:

Great advise from Gardyloo.  The Ballard locks (25 ft) drop is another site to visit.  It is 6 blocks west from The Fishermans Termainal.  The Ballard locks has a Fish Ladder which is full of Salmon in the summertime, can see the sea lions at the base of the dam feeding on the salmon and the boats going through the Locks, including fishing boats heading to Alaska.  It is snowing up at Paradise now with 2 inches overnight.  

The fish ladder is still closed for renovations and it sounds like it will remain so throughout the summer.

I'm beyond shocked that no one has recommended the Museum of Pop Culture. I cruised out of Seattle in 2019 and we went to Chihuly Gardens, Pikes Place and Museum of Pop Culture. I thought MoPop blew Chihuly Gardens and Pikes Place out of the water. Can't recommend highly enough. It's right next to Chihuly Gardens and the Space Needle. It has sections of the museum of music, horror movies, sci-fi, fantasy and more.

https://www.mopop.org/

3 hours ago, jcu1210 said:

I want to go there, it looks so wonderful 

Oh yeah, robots that want to eat my face off look like so much fun 😁