Use OBC for Pre-Cruise Purchases?

We have received $500 in OBC (from Carnival) for an upcoming cruise.  We usually cruise RCCL, who allows use of OBC for pre-cruise purchases.  We would like to purchase our drink packages at the pre-cruise price.  Does Carnival allow this?  If not, we'll need to purchase at the higher onboard price.  I can't imagine how we'd use $500 OBC for anything else.

4 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

We have received $500 in OBC (from Carnival) for an upcoming cruise.  We usually cruise RCCL, who allows use of OBC for pre-cruise purchases.  We would like to purchase our drink packages at the pre-cruise price.  Does Carnival allow this?  If not, we'll need to purchase at the higher onboard price.  I can't imagine how we'd use $500 OBC for anything else.

This is a very common question. The short answer is no. You cannot use your OnBoardCredit pre-cruise.  It's only valid once you get aboard ship.  You'd be surprised what all you can spend the obc on. Like the Steak House; a different specialty dining restaurant; items in the gift shop, etc. 

Oh. You DO get a 10% discount off of the Cheers package, if you purchase it pre-cruise though from the Carnival website. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

Excursions and Gratuities can also be added to the specialty dining and gift shop comment from above

Gratuities will take a few hundred of that OBC depending on length of cruise.

Oh - if it can be used for gratuities - that's great!

41 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Thank you.  The 10% discount is why I was hoping we could spend it pre-cruise.  I can't imagine spending $500 on board on anything other than drinks, so I guess we'll just pay more for the drink package on board.

The steak house is cheaper on carnival. $38 pp plus tips. 

1 hour ago, handbellplayer said:

Thank you.  The 10% discount is why I was hoping we could spend it pre-cruise.  I can't imagine spending $500 on board on anything other than drinks, so I guess we'll just pay more for the drink package on board.

Buy the Package when you first get on board. Cost 10% more but will give you the drinks for a fixed cost

4 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

Oh - if it can be used for gratuities - that's great!

Yes, it can be used for gratuities.

And for future reference, among the brands owned by Carnival, Princess allows the use of OBC before the cruise to purchase excursions, but only excursions, not anything else.

Depending on when and where you cruise, you may be required to take the ship's shore excursions. If so wait until onboard to book them and the OBC can be used for that.

By the way, Princess also allows OBC to be used for pre-cruise purchases.

Edited by 40yearcruiser

3 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Depending on when and where you cruise, you may be required to take the ship's shore excursions. If so wait until onboard to book them and the OBC can be used for that.

By the way, Princess also allows OBC to be used for pre-cruise purchases.

Assuming that there will be excursions available at the time of boarding and not sold out from limited capacity + per- bookings because everyone knows that cruise ship sponsored excursions are required. This is my dilemma for my 9/18/21 cruise. I have the 600.00 OBC but do not want to take my chances with the 3 shore excursions I’m interested in to wait until I board. Hoping Carnival will announce any day now on protocols so I can prebook excursions if I need to.