How do 8:30 San Juan departures work?

I’ve never cruised out of San Juan before. Looking at old Cruise Compasses, I see a 8:00 PM all aboard time with an 8:30 departure. But I also see a full day of activities, including TV this open at 11:00 AM and a muster drill scheduled for 5:45 PM.

What time are we supposed to get in the ship. Note - I assume there will be new rules post Covid, but for now, how did things work in the past?  

You can drop your bags, check in to cabin and then go back out to OSJ if you want

If you dont do muster, they have a make up the next day

We always do a couple of pre-cruise days in San Juan. Then get to the ship around noon and stay onboard. You'll need to use a taxi if you decide to check in and then go into old town. We love the night sail out. Excited to sail the southern caribbean again for another B2B in March 2022. I believe the muster is now done on your in cabin TV.

• Like 3

so far all posts have been spot on, again if you miss muster there was a make up

We love sailing out of San Juan in Jan/Feb, hot from the minute the plane lands almost always had goo weather.  I fully agree with arriving days before cruise departure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I’ve never cruised out of San Juan before. Looking at old Cruise Compasses, I see a 8:00 PM all aboard time with an 8:30 departure. But I also see a full day of activities, including TV this open at 11:00 AM and a muster drill scheduled for 5:45 PM.

What time are we supposed to get in the ship. Note - I assume there will be new rules post Covid, but for now, how did things work in the past?  

Just as an FYI, RC doesn't leave from the piers at OSJ. All their ships leave from the Pan Am pier. 

One of the best things about sailing late is to see the light of San Juan as you depart.  It's a great thing to see.

BTW, one thing not posted, yet- if you do normal dining, the dining times are 30 min late for the first night.  That being said, you do first seating, it should be early enough to see the sail away from an outside viewpoint.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Just as an FYI, RC doesn't leave from the piers at OSJ. All their ships leave from the Pan Am pier. 

Yes...and why I noted that a taxi would be needed if wanting to go into old town. We've enjoyed seeing those taxi's zoom up right before sail away....Don't be late people :classic_wink:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

With the new muster process they will likely ask you to do it right after embarkation. 

I havnt heard of a new process What is different?

33 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

I haven't heard of a new process. What is different?

All online (or on cabin TV) and you can go to the station (individually) at any time to get checked off that you attended.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

All online (or on cabin TV) and you can go to the station (individually) at any time to get checked off that you attended.

This ^^^^what an improvement !!!

• Like 1

I love sailing out of San Juan.  It has never been crowded any time I embarked.  We usually stayed precruise in Culebra and flew in from Culebra to Vieques then drove to San Juan.  If we don't stay in Culebra we fly in that morning then check in to cruise, check out and take a cab to old san juan and wander around the forts, rent bikes...  It's my favorite port to leave from.  I've sailed with Celebrity and Royal with a Transatlantic cruise in 2017.  

Years ago they sailed out of San Juan at 11:30 PM, always great views  One year there must have been a festival because we could watch land based fireworks from the fort area ,really neat to see.

Edited by jsf

Make sure you have the fresh bread in OSJ. It’s available at any grocery store.  I am drooling thinking about it!  No other bread like it. Or maybe I was just happy to have carbs for a change. 

8 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Make sure you have the fresh bread in OSJ. It’s available at any grocery store.  I am drooling thinking about it!  No other bread like it. Or maybe I was just happy to have carbs for a change. 

What kinda fresh bread ? I'm happy with a Mallorca with Egg, Cheese and Ham sooo yummy  for breakfast...So sad that La Bombonera is closed....but I think Cafeteria (Cafe) Mallorca is still open.

12 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I love sailing out of San Juan.  It has never been crowded any time I embarked.  We usually stayed precruise in Culebra and flew in from Culebra to Vieques then drove to San Juan.  If we don't stay in Culebra we fly in that morning then check in to cruise, check out and take a cab to old san juan and wander around the forts, rent bikes...  It's my favorite port to leave from.  I've sailed with Celebrity and Royal with a Transatlantic cruise in 2017.  

We like cruising out of San Juan as the intinaries are more port intensive and have way less sea days. We aren't huge sea day fans. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

What kinda fresh bread ? I'm happy with a Mallorca with Egg, Cheese and Ham sooo yummy  for breakfast...So sad that La Bombonera is closed....but I think Cafeteria (Cafe) Mallorca is still open.

Pan de agua or Pan dulce (it's not sweet).  Fill with a real avocado (one grown in Puerto Rico), and it's pretty darned amazing.  

13 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Heck of a drive from Vieques to San Juan- since Vieques is an island south of Culebra....  🙂

6 hours ago, jsf said:

Years ago they sailed out of San Juan at 11:30 PM, always great views  One year there must have been a festival because we could watch land based fireworks from the fort area ,really neat to see.

Due to Hurricane Harvey a few years ago-we were recharted to Miami from Galveston and left Miami at about 10:30 pm.

Wow!!!

Sitting up top in the Viking Crown Lounge was about 30 minutes of one of the most memorable cruise experiences in my life. Just beautiful as the port facilities are lighted up for miles

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

It was just the French roll shaped loaf in the paper sleeve that they sell at grocery stores.  I would get one and just eat the whole thing with butter.  Yum. Carb free stinks.  I want bread!!!!!  I didn’t realize La Bombonera closed. That is sad.  But we haven’t been to PR in about four years. I love OSJ. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, alfaeric said:

Pan de agua or Pan dulce (it's not sweet).  Fill with a real avocado (one grown in Puerto Rico), and it's pretty darned amazing.  

Have to correct this- apparently pan dulce is only available in some bakeries.

Pan de aqua and pan sobao are the two- and the crusty one is pan de aqua.  And it's really hard to put down once you start eating a warm loaf.