3rd person can’t go

Our third person can’t go with us now. I’m scared if I call to cancel the third person, Carnival will try to make us move to free up that triple occupancy room. There are no more Havana Cabana rooms available on my sailing. Plus we’re not sure if another friend might come instead. To complicate matters I booked an ES rate. It’s not the money that I’m looking to get back, I just don’t know the procedure if only 2/3 people show up to board. And if we do find a third person, will they let us cancel and rebook that new person (at the higher rate it will be)? We are still outside of final payments. Advice?

I would definitely not cancel them if rates went up. If he is a no show, after the cruise the taxes and port fees are returned to the credit card that paid them.

ES name changes I believe are $50. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, maritimecruiser said:

Our third person can’t go with us now. I’m scared if I call to cancel the third person, Carnival will try to make us move to free up that triple occupancy room. There are no more Havana Cabana rooms available on my sailing. Plus we’re not sure if another friend might come instead. To complicate matters I booked an ES rate. It’s not the money that I’m looking to get back, I just don’t know the procedure if only 2/3 people show up to board. And if we do find a third person, will they let us cancel and rebook that new person (at the higher rate it will be)? We are still outside of final payments. Advice?

I agree with firefly333. I would have them be a no show and get the taxes and port fees back. It is not worth it to rebook, pay higher prices and possibly lose your Havana room.

• Like 3

Is an inside Havana for two available for your sailing?  The time that you would spend on your lanai can be spent in the Havana area.  It would save you the cost of splitting the third person.   With the savings, you could get Cheers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Doesn't someone still have to pay for the 'no show' share of the room?  Is the OP plan to split the cost of the room between two, rather than three passengers?

The third person fare is often minimal compared to the dual occupancy fares. You'd have to consider that it is best to leave it as is because: 1) they may find a new third person; 2) don't want to lose a 3 pax cabin; and worse case, 3) fares could be even worse if they have to rebook at a higher fare.

Past final payment so either no show or try for a name change if they find a third person.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mondello said:

The third person fare is often minimal compared to the dual occupancy fares. You'd have to consider that it is best to leave it as is because: 1) they may find a new third person; 2) don't want to lose a 3 pax cabin; and worse case, 3) fares could be even worse if they have to rebook at a higher fare.

Past final payment so either no show or try for a name change if they find a third person.

I understand that the third person is minimal cost (especially since they would be sleeping on the pull-out sofa or pull-down bunk LOL).  I guess my point was if three adult friends were to share the cabin and if the third passenger couldn't make the cruise, that the two remaining passengers are prepared to split the cost of the cabin 50/50, assuming that they don't find a new third person to join them. 

I have worked check-in for Carnival and I know that every cabin has a designated financially responsible person (each person can be responsible for their own finances on board, but every passenger has someone who pledged to be the financially responsible one). 

One time we had a large mother/daughter group and the woman who organized it gave her credit card to the travel agent, which unbeknownst to her attached her credit card to everyone in the group.  That  technically meant that she was accepting the on-board financial burden of everyone in the group.  When the group arrived at check-in, we had to individually delete the organizing mom's credit card from every mother/daughter duo and add the new credit card info.  (I think the travel agent was lazy and told the organizing mom that everyone could give their credit card info at check-in).  It took forever, and the mom who organized it was the last person from the group to board the ship because she had to wait to insure that her cc had to be deleted from all the mother/daughter duos.  It reminded me of that adage, 'no good deed goes unpunished'.

I hope that it all works out for the OP, and no friendships are frayed over $.

10 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I understand that the third person is minimal cost (especially since they would be sleeping on the pull-out sofa or pull-down bunk LOL).  I guess my point was if three adult friends were to share the cabin and if the third passenger couldn't make the cruise, that the two remaining passengers are prepared to split the cost of the cabin 50/50, assuming that they don't find a new third person to join them. 

It reminded me of that adage, 'no good deed goes unpunished'.

I hope that it all works out for the OP, and no friendships are frayed over $.

OP said money was not the concern. Past final payment so person that backed out should have already ponied up. Life is messy sometimes and 'fraid friendships are frayed over money.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 12:52 AM, maritimecruiser said:

Our daughter had the same issue, her cruise mate didn’t show.  The cabin was paid for so she just sailed alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone. To clarify, I’m a mother paying for both my teenage daughter and her friend. Her friend can’t go. So there is no issue with the refund of the third person. I was/am paying anyway. I just wasn’t sure if I showed up at check in and say there are only 2 of us now, would they still make me change rooms or would there be some kind of automatic cancellation of my booking? Hoping I can just show up and say that and still get my room. I’m ok with paying that 3 person price as it wasn’t that much extra for third person. Just really don’t want to lose my room!

20 minutes ago, maritimecruiser said:

Thank you everyone. To clarify, I’m a mother paying for both my teenage daughter and her friend. Her friend can’t go. So there is no issue with the refund of the third person. I was/am paying anyway. I just wasn’t sure if I showed up at check in and say there are only 2 of us now, would they still make me change rooms or would there be some kind of automatic cancellation of my booking? Hoping I can just show up and say that and still get my room. I’m ok with paying that 3 person price as it wasn’t that much extra for third person. Just really don’t want to lose my room!

Or say nothing. If they ask say she will check in later. I was told say nothing. 

If she never shows her taxes and port fees will be refunded to the credit card that paid them automatically. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How glad I am to see this thread.  We're in a very similar situation with having booked 2 Havana class rooms for our family of 5.  My eldest son is not going to be able to join us as I suspected would happen when I booked the trip, so I listed him as the 3rd passenger in his stateroom.  I came to the same conclusion about not calling to cancel him. It's barely worth it financially.   

• Like 1