When are the Princess 'TEST CRUISES' scheduled for ??

voljeep

I must have missed that date and have not received an invitation from my PVP.  They are scheduled, right ?  Caribbean Princess for the East Coast and Ruby for the West Coast ?

Disney has theirs scheduled out of Port Canaveral - little 2 day the end of the month ... I 'read' cruise lines are doing it this way to avoid the mandatory 95%-98% verified vaccinations for passengers and crew - something about kids ...

• Like 1

As far as I know Princess is not doing "test cruises"  The first Alaska cruises out of Seattle on the Majestic are requiring proof of vaccination to board.  If those cruises go well I think you will see other cruises but still requiring proof of vaccination

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

At this time, Princess is not saying that they will be requiring vaccination.   

This is an evolving situation, and can also be different for each cruises departure port and itinerary.

These all-vaccinated Alaska cruises are some of the only cruises allowed to sail right now.

Other lines, WindStar for example, are sailing out of other non-US Caribbean ports, with mandatory Vaccine requirements.    I would LOVE to do one of those itineraries!!!  (cost way more than Princess)

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

As far as I know Princess is not doing "test cruises"  The first Alaska cruises out of Seattle on the Majestic are requiring proof of vaccination to board.  If those cruises go well I think you will see other cruises but still requiring proof of vaccination

I paperclipped my CDC card inside my passport, emailed it to my PVP to be added to my record, and can pull it up online from my HC provider ..... see others onboard August 15, 2021 😆🎰

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Princess hasn’t applied for test cruises. 

huh, wonder why not ?? - I realize their target market is not kids ( who can't be vaccinated at this time ), but given " the florida situation " , wouldn't these test cruises alleviate the need for verified vaccinations ?

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

huh, wonder why not ?? - I realize their target market is not kids ( who can't be vaccinated at this time ), but given " the florida situation " , wouldn't these test cruises alleviate the need for verified vaccinations ?

Most vaccinated cruisers are not going to want to cruise with people who are not vaccinated and risk a cruise being terminated early.  Also having non vaccinated cruisers on board could lead to mask mandates and "mask" rage from the non vaxxers

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Celebrity is going the vaccinated route and Carnival and Royal have applied for test cruises. 
Princess will need to decide soon though to get things moving either way. 

• Thanks 1

I personally like all that DeSantis has done with regard to Covid.  

But it seems counterintuitive to me that on one hand he wants the CDC to open the FL ports to allow cruising to begin again to get economy, revenue and people back to work - but on the other hand wants to enforce not having to show proof of vaccination, which cruise lines prefer to do.  

Regardless, no amount of pre-cruise testing or showing proof of vaccination will guarantee ships can and will be Covid free. 

Comes back to the main issue of personal choice - your choice to understand the risks based on the cruise line health safety protocols, and your choice to decide if you want to take the cruise based on that information and your existing personal health level. 

Granted this is not an apples to apples example, but there  has never been a guarantee against you getting Norovirus on a cruise either and people still went.  On the 2019 WC a passenger did get noro and due to that person already having a compromised immune system, fluids built up rapidly and they did not survive.  

Point being, we take risks everyday - there are never any guarantees.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

I thought Princess did already came out and say they are going with the 95% vaccinated? Why would they even try for a unvaccinated cruise to come out of a year and a half shutdown? It's going to be hard enough to get these cruise ships back in business without adding in the people who do not want a jab.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

I thought Princess did already came out and say they are going with the 95% vaccinated? Why would they even try for a unvaccinated cruise to come out of a year and a half shutdown? It's going to be hard enough to get these cruise ships back in business without adding in the people who do not want a jab.

for the same reason other cruise lines have already scheduled 'test cruises' including RCL and Disney ?

4 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

I thought Princess did already came out and say they are going with the 95% vaccinated?

So far, they have only stated this for the Alaska cruises.  When they start sailing to Hawaii, I'm sure they'll do the same as Hawaii has been very strict with their mandates for visitors from the mainland. 

It looks like by July 1st, Hawaii will allow vaccinated visitors from the mainland without having to go through the covid pre-screening tests...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Celebrity is going the vaccinated route and Carnival and Royal have applied for test cruises. 

I'm wondering if the thought behind this is that Carnival & Royal have more bells / whistles  / roller coasters / geared to younger families* so may not be able to reach 95% vax rate whereas Celebrity & Princess would be just fine focused on more mature pax. It's 1st & foremost a business that cannot afford another mandatory shutdown 

Just my 2c (6 booked, 1st one 8/15/21 to Alaska)

*Under 12 cannot be vaxed just yet

• Like 2

Just now, LACruiser88 said:

It looks like by July 1st, Hawaii will allow vaccinated visitors from the mainland without having to go through the covid pre-screening tests

I heard and have been crossing fingers as we are heading there in Oct. We did go to Kauai this past April and yes, had to do the test and state application to enter. Will be nice not to have to do that anymore 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZjohn said:

I heard and have been crossing fingers as we are heading there in Oct. We did go to Kauai this past April and yes, had to do the test and state application to enter. Will be nice not to have to do that anymore 🙂 

We were in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago.  The pre-testing was a minor inconvenience, but it will be nice to skip it!  We are scheduled for a Hawaii cruise on November 5th...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm wondering if the thought behind this is that Carnival & Royal have more bells / whistles  / roller coasters / geared to younger families* so may not be able to reach 95% vax rate whereas Celebrity & Princess would be just fine focused on more mature pax. It's 1st & foremost a business that cannot afford another mandatory shutdown 

Just my 2c (6 booked, 1st one 8/15/21 to Alaska)

*Under 12 cannot be vaxed just yet

I agree. 

17 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm wondering if the thought behind this is that Carnival & Royal have more bells / whistles  / roller coasters / geared to younger families* so may not be able to reach 95% vax rate whereas Celebrity & Princess would be just fine focused on more mature pax

I think you hit the nail on the head!!!

Hi all!!

Watch the HBO short film on the Diamond Princess "The Final Cruise" from last March -- actually filmed on the ship (approx. 45 mins.) and you will understand why people need to all be vaccinated upon boarding.

We will wait until the dust settles and see how the test and first actual cruises go. I want to see all of the procedures in place.  How do they handle embarkation, debarkation, bars, pools, buffets, restaurants, masks, etc..

We have forty+ cruises under our belts... We will take the wait and see approach...

Happy and Safe Sailing to All..🛳️🍸

2 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

But it seems counterintuitive to me that on one hand he wants the CDC to open the FL ports to allow cruising to begin again to get economy, revenue and people back to work - but on the other hand wants to enforce not having to show proof of vaccination, which cruise lines prefer to do.  

Regardless, no amount of pre-cruise testing or showing proof of vaccination will guarantee ships can and will be Covid free. 

Comes back to the main issue of personal choice - your choice to understand the risks based on the cruise line health safety protocols, and your choice to decide if you want to take the cruise based on that information and your existing personal health level. 

Granted this is not an apples to apples example, but there  has never been a guarantee against you getting Norovirus on a cruise either and people still went.  On the 2019 WC a passenger did get noro and due to that person already having a compromised immune system, fluids built up rapidly and they did not survive.  

Noro has never stopped a cruise - a covid 19 outbreak would.  Non Vaccinated passengers endanger the cruise itself

• Like 8

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Only for Alaska.

7 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

DeSantis can say whatever he wants but if Princess is docking at a Port of Call and the local government requires all visitors/tourists to be vaccinated then every passenger onboard the cruise ship will be required to have proof of a COVID19 vaccine.

In my opinion DeSantis seems more interested in making headlines/playing up to the media so he can set up a run for President than he does in getting the cruise industry up and running in Florida.  I will gladly fly to Puerto Rico, show my vaccine card, and take a Caribbean cruise instead of staying in Fort Lauderdale. I honestly hope the cruise lines call his bluff and cancel all voyages out of Florida.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, memoak said:

Noro has never stopped a cruise - a covid 19 outbreak would.  Non Vaccinated passengers endanger the cruise itself

Not true. Princess on multiple occasions has cut a cruise short and headed to disembarkation port early due to noro.

• Like 1