Celebrity Captain's Club Changes June 2021

19 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Texed: I’ll respond to your post instead of the response to your post……the response is one reason I held off booking Suites until this last booking. Up to now, I’ve found the Suite people to be sweet…..hehe. I’ll leave it at that.  den

Let me know how you enjoy your suite experience.   😊

6 minutes ago, Texed said:

Let me know how you enjoy your suite experience.   😊

Will do. Always went veranda and enjoyed and never really looked at Suites/Retreat. Saw a video on the Beyond and as Celebrity has been doing for a while, it emphasizes the Retreat. Also realized that we have a finite amount of time left to cruise before I sit on my porch and yell at the teenagers to stay off my lawn! So decided it was time to give it a go. 

Decided since we were looking at a TA next year in Oct that we’d book Retreat. Got an S3 SR. Picked the Edge because of itinerary ending in FLL instead of Beyond’s NJ. And like the other stops a bit more what we want to see and it lasts a few days longer. Lots of at sea days to really exercise this place. 

Been hanging out at the ‘Im not a Snob’ thread which has given me a great deal of good info on Suites and so on. And very friendly.

We’ll see how it goes! 

De

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, C-Dragons said:

Ah, you hit the nail on the head! 😉

Most X cruisers are also "far away from any meaningful benefits” but cruise with them because of the X experience. That's why their CC loyalty membership has continued to grow. As a business, that's what X wants and needs. But from a practical standpoint adjustments eventually have to be made somewhere. Unfortunately they can’t please everyone.

CC loyalty membership increases has an awful lot to do with Crown and Anchor reciprocy as well, probably far more than new X cruisers... 

20 minutes ago, harz99 said:

CC loyalty membership increases has an awful lot to do with Crown and Anchor reciprocy as well, probably far more than new X cruisers... 

I think you are very correct on that.

10 hours ago, Orator said:

One final thought on this topic and it will be my final thought Celebrity has never really figured out how to use the Zenith program to promote their product! Zenith cruisers can and do provide useful information to some inexperienced Suite passengers in MC/Retreat. One of the benefits for Suite customers is that someone Future Cruise representatives will schedule appointments in MC/Retreat so that passengers will be able to avoid lines at the FC Office. On more than one occasion the staff member form Future Cruises called me over to ask if I've been on certain cruises. When I responded that I had he asked me to give my impressions to clients. There are at least two cases when the passengers booked what I recommended. 

Zeniths can and do answer questions about cruises and ports of call and many Suite passengers find them to be a valuable source of information Zeniths via social media and personal contact have promoted the Celebrity product. In my opinion any cost associated with the Zenith program should be viewed as a marketing cost and not as an item that takes from the bottom line profits. I can say more, but feel  I've already said enough. 

Another Celebrity miss is not doing a focus group which would provide very helpful information. Give people with over 100 cruises a cocktail and some snacks and get really valuable feedback as to their strengths and weaknesses. We’re on the ship, what else do we have to do😎

• Like 1

It all makes a lot more sense if you start from the premise that they don't care about long-time cruisers, because we are entitled to too many benefits and we are nearing our 'sell-by' dates.  Their entire focus is on Millennials.  They probably figure we're too set in our ways to change allegiance at this point, and that there isn't any good alternative for us anyway.  Time will tell, if they suddenly see our accounts go stagnant [but those young whipper-snappers will probably just assume that we died!!!]

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It all makes a lot more sense if you start from the premise that they don't care about long-time cruisers, because we are entitled to too many benefits and we are nearing our 'sell-by' dates.  Their entire focus is on Millennials.  They probably figure we're too set in our ways to change allegiance at this point, and that there isn't any good alternative for us anyway.  Time will tell, if they suddenly see our accounts go stagnant [but those young whipper-snappers will probably just assume that we died!!!]

Yes well my millennial children may go on one maybe two cruises a year. We on the other hand always go on 8 to 10 a year. Good luck filling  up the ships with millennials

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Bottom line, Celebrity wants us to think they have improved their Captains Club to compensate for all we have lost with the all included pricing.  But IMHO this certainly doesn't do that.  And as I've moaned about many times on these boards, Celebrity doesn't really value loyalty as it comes with the older (often) cruisers and loyal ones who don't spend money onboard for all the extras like photo packages, shore excursions, etc.., as we have been there; done that.  We are not their target market.  Much like the revolutionized upgrades, it is a lot of sparkle and shine and very little substance.  Oh well - it's not why I cruise them but it is disappointing, if not unexpected.

i havent bothered looking at cruises yet because i dont want the hassle of cancel/rebook while they hold my $ so havent looked much into the new 'All Included' package.

Besides the free drinks during Elite Cocktail time (5-7pm) and free 90min wifi, what else have Elites lost because of the new 'All included" package that's forced on everyone?

edit:

Is the 'always Included' package forced on everyone?

The Program Changes link in the OP suggested that people can sail without the always Included package?

ie: If you do not sail with Always Included,  receive a 5% - 20% discount on Classic and Premium beverage packages purchased before you sail 

Edited by fstuff1

8 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

And what's this about Elites upgrading their Classic package to Premium for $1/day  (from a poster in this thread)?

The comment was the "new" perk of a discount on the upgrade was the DISCOUNT only amounted to $1 per day.

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

The comment was the "new" perk of a discount on the upgrade was the DISCOUNT only amounted to $1 per day.

ahh.. ok.

i edited my post and removed the question since i misunderstood

On 6/3/2021 at 3:25 PM, TeeRick said:

I will just answer this for my personal situation.  I am E+ but over 2000 points away from Z.  No it would not motivate my decision.  The added few benefits of Zenith are not worth chasing even if I was 200 points away.  It would not influence my cruise decision.  But that is me.  Others seem to want to get to Zenith perhaps for status but I really could care less.    And I tend to cruise suites anyway so my current benefits at E+ or future benefits at Z are not meaningful.  I accept that.  I just cruise for my enjoyment and don't care about "loyalty" benefits or status. I know that this attitude is not popular here.  

My situation is almost identical to yours, in that I am over 2,000 points away from zenith and I agree with your earlier post about what it would cost to get there doesn't make it worth chasing.

However, in general, I do care about loyalty and having a loyalty benefit program with achievable and meaningful benchmarks would be nice.

So do you think the feeling of people saying they don't care about benefits or status is also in part because the current benefits are not deemed very beneficial?

Also, isn't the goal of a loyalty program for a company to want to make its customers chase the different tiers?

So I'm not sure I understand the mentality now behind Celebrity's program.  What are they striving to achieve?  

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i havent bothered looking at cruises yet because i dont want the hassle of cancel/rebook while they hold my $ so havent looked much into the new 'All Included' package.

Besides the free drinks during Elite Cocktail time (5-7pm) and free 90min wifi, what else have Elites lost because of the new 'All included" package that's forced on everyone?

edit:

Is the 'always Included' package forced on everyone?

The Program Changes link in the OP suggested that people can sail without the always Included package?

ie: If you do not sail with Always Included,  receive a 5% - 20% discount on Classic and Premium beverage packages purchased before you sail 

I am going to go way back to Nov 18 and ask you to look at post #86 (by Schuddle):

From what I can tell, nothing has actually changed since then, and this post is a great summary of the changes. One thing I wish to point out is that several of the "removed" items are potentially just paused for COVID, and may return. Given that the program can always change with or without notice, these things may or may not return to what they once were.

Specific to your questions:

Q: "Besides the free drinks during Elite Cocktail time (5-7pm) and free 90min wifi, what else have Elites lost because of the new 'All included" package that's forced on everyone?"

A: Well, the free drinks were not lost. That Elite Cocktail time has been moved from the Sky lounge and spread over all bars and lounges. That diminishes the experience for many, and since most have drinks provided with Always Included, there is little special about it, plus it is possible all bars and lounges will be crowded and noisy with everyone getting drinks from the beverage package. Zeniths' complimentary beverage package has been watered down since they are paying for drinks now with AI.

As for the free 90 minutes of (streaming) wifi, those are essentially lost but replaced by unlimited (surf) wifi under the Always Included program. However, if one is not sailing under the AI program, Elites get those minutes. Per Celebrity, "If you do not sail with Always Included, you can apply the 10% - 35% discount to any internet package and the complimentary minutes for Elite and Elite Plus will still apply."

Q: "Is the 'always Included' package forced on everyone?

The Program Changes link in the OP suggested that people can sail without the always Included package?"

A: Celebrity offers Simply Sail on select sailings: "Simply Sail will offer a cruise-only rate for select sailings within 90 days of departure.  Simply Sail will replace Exciting Deals with a new creative look and feel but maintain the same offering parameters." So not everyone will be forced to sail with Always Included. And the Captains Club benefits account for those with many of the same old benefits we had before.

I invite you to look here for more details: 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/program-changes

There is an FAQ that has answers to many questions if you scroll way down on that Program Changes/Updates page. I also encourage you to look at the FAQ for Always Included. The current list have been slightly corrupted and the answers are off by one from the questions, so here's an older document (the beverage upgrade charge in #17 has gone up to $12 per person per day):

CEL_Always_Inlcuded_FAQs.pdf

All of this is "IMHO" of course, and I may be wrong. But mostly I have tried to indicate what Celebrity says in my typical long-winded fashion.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bajathree said:

If someone is paying the price to sail in a suite with suite perks such as a suite only lounge and restricted pool access or sun deck IMO it should have access to it by only other suite guests...that is part of why you are paying the price for sailing suite class. I have been on many sailings...especially inaugural's, crossings or other various sailings where the suite lounges and spaces are inundated with loyalty guest changing the experience for someone that chose to  pay a premium price to sail in a suite for a more exclusive experience..

I think this issue is much more prevalent on Royal Caribbean if you follow those threads.  There is quite a lot of resentment from suite guests on certain cruises which are loaded with Pinnacle members that take over the suite lounge and suite dining (in Coastal Kitchen).  A long standing issue.  I have not really experienced crowding in the Retreat/MC from a high number of Zenith members.  It is not a problem IMO.

9 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

So I'm not sure I understand the mentality now behind Celebrity's program.  What are they striving to achieve?  

Simple.  Their Loyalty program is designed to hook new cruisers to become consistent and loyal cruisers.  It is not designed to want to give away more and more benefits when you get to Elite level and beyond.  We have already spent our money over the years.  They need new blood so to speak to grow their business.  This is the key principle.  It is not about rewarding any of us.  It is entirely about hooking new consistent customers.  I know this is very hard to accept for many long time loyal cruisers.  But if you get angry about it and go away that plays into the business model.  Cynical I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think this issue is much more prevalent on Royal Caribbean if you follow those threads.  There is quite a lot of resentment from suite guests on certain cruises which are loaded with Pinnacle members that take over the suite lounge and suite dining (in Coastal Kitchen).  A long standing issue.  I have not really experienced crowding in the Retreat/MC from a high number of Zenith members.  It is not a problem IMO.

I would agree with you..I have been on some of those sailings on Royal that you describe where the Pinnacle crowd has taken over.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, harz99 said:

It is interesting that the reciprocity has a cap on Celebrity.  If Diamond, D+ or Pinnacle on Royal, you are moved to Elite.  Pinnacles are not moved to Zenith,  D+ are not moved to E+. 

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Simple.  Their Loyalty program is designed to hook new cruisers to become consistent and loyal cruisers.  It is not designed to want to give away more and more benefits when you get to Elite level and beyond.  We have already spent our money over the years.  They need new blood so to speak to grow their business.  This is the key principle.  It is not about rewarding any of us.  It is entirely about hooking new consistent customers.  I know this is very hard to accept for many long time loyal cruisers.  But if you get angry about it and go away that plays into the business model.  Cynical I know.

Yeah, I hear you....

I wish they placed a little more value on the Elite, Elite+, Zenith members (and added a few more levels below Zenith 😃).

Like you, I continue to sail with X because I do very much like the product and love the experience.  I suppose that's the key - if the product was no good, it wouldn't matter how fantastic their loyalty program was.   So, as others mentioned, the loyalty program isn't the key to them, just icing on the cake.   

I guess I just want more icing 😂.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Celebrity can solve this by creating a space on board called the Zenith Lounge or Zenith Club for their Zenith members not in suites.

Yes, it's a simple solution. 😊