Can I only leave ship in port on a Celebrity Tour?

Dr65

Hi experts: I’m deciding about final payment on my Sept. 4 Reflection cruise out of Amsterdam in a few days. This has probably been answered but can I do my own tours/walks that are not Celebrity tours? This seems like a deal killer to me if one can only do guided ship tours. I know this might change at any time bit I’m probably not going to make final payment if this is the policy now. Thanks for any insight.

There are many threads on the same topic already. The bottom line is, it will be up to each port city whether you will be able to go out on your own or not.

A bigger issue might be, will the Netherlands let you in without quarantine?

You may wish to check the EU website which discusses plans for allowing vaccinated Americans and others into the EU on non essential travel this summer.  It does appear they have an option to tighten up controls if there is a sudden surge of cases.  At this point it looks to be a roll of the dice....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr65 said:

Hi experts: I’m deciding about final payment on my Sept. 4 Reflection cruise out of Amsterdam in a few days. This has probably been answered but can I do my own tours/walks that are not Celebrity tours? This seems like a deal killer to me if one can only do guided ship tours. I know this might change at any time bit I’m probably not going to make final payment if this is the policy now. Thanks for any insight.

If you decide to sail, take your chances, otherwise stay home if a dealbreaker for you.

Posted (edited)

Celebrity is saying you can get off the ship and explore on your own. However they also saying that you will have to adhere to local rules....which means they really don't know other than as far as X is concerned your free to get off.

I do agree these ports are starving for tourist $'s...so I think they will be happy to have shoppers. With that being said I have heard recents reviews of Nassau requiring masks everywhere...even outdoors and police are enforcing.  Someone who recently did a review on Nassau said even being a very young active healthy adult wearing a mask in the Caribbean kicked their butt and it was miserable.

Also just watched a blog on Cozumel saying that vaccines there for locals are very hard to come by and few are vaccinated and masks while a requirement aren't being adhered to. But that they are hungry for the US $ and welcome tourists to come shop. 

This is why I am sure the cruise lines (as well as most cruisers) want vaccine only cruises. Cozumel sounds like it would be a perfect example of why.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

I am booked on the same cruise in mid-July.  If we sail we will actually be the first Baltic cruise for Celebrity since the pandemic started.  I  talked to a couple of vendors in Amsterdam that I  have booked private pre-cruise excursions with and they seem to be optimistic.  They both commented on the uptick in inquiries and reservations.  We are due to arrive 4 days ahead of our cruise departure and want to explore Amsterdam.    Museums and art galleries open in Amsterdam on June 5th.  I am still unsure that Celebrity will have everything put in place for our sailing but I would say for a September departure your chances of free exploration look much better.  With the caveat of no significant increase in Covid numbers you might be in the clear.  I held my nose and paid our cruise in full figuring worse case we'd get the 125% future cruise credit.  That said I would much rather set sail this July.  Good Luck to you!

Thanks for all your kind replies. Unfortunately, I have decided to cancel due to uncertainty about Covid.