Barbados summer cruises 2021

Jayjay900

12 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@2seabournsailors Really? I have only seen a thread of lots of people wishing crews and passengers  onboard bon voyage and best wishes. Only one person replied that they were on board, but didn't post anything more than that. Is there an actual report in that group from someone onboard? I wish Facebook gave you a way to see comments you haven't read in chronological order, like here on Cruise Critic, but alas that's not how Facebook works. I find it much harder to follow the Facebook groups for that reason. 

so sorry!!! I was wrong. It was a Report from Ovation I was reading. Hopefully there will "soon" be a report from Odyssey. Sorry!

5 hours ago, jenidallas said:

Hopefully when that report is live, someone will share it.  

If that report is written by someone who is also a member here, I would imagine they would share it, otherwise its not the right of anyone else to "share" another persons story! IOW it wont be me who shares it.

20 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I find it much harder to follow the Facebook groups for that reason. 

I am not fond of Facebook and only created an account when I absolutely had to do so.  Then, I started getting notifications of "friends" most of whom I have never heard of and don't care to become a "friend" with them.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not fond of Facebook and only created an account when I absolutely had to do so.  Then, I started getting notifications of "friends" most of whom I have never heard of and don't care to become a "friend" with them.  

You can ignore all "friends" requests on Facebook.  The secret to enjoying FB is carefully curating your friends list.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jenidallas said:

Hopefully when that report is live, someone will share it.  There are a number of us who were summarily banned from the one Facebook group for various reasons, hence the reason the other group exists.  

I've seen only one person reporting on the cruise starting in Barbados.  I would not share here as it is his report.  The shocking thing though is that he says there are only 120 passengers onboard.  No wonder there are not more reports!  There is practically no one on the ship!

I have to admit that I am despairing a bit now.  With the cases of the virus going up up up in the Dallas area and throughout the country--with the worst yet to come (according to an NPR report this morning), I think it may be a long while before we get to cruise again.  This makes our household very unhappy.  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I've seen only one person reporting on the cruise starting in Barbados.  I would not share here as it is his report.  The shocking thing though is that he says there are only 120 passengers onboard.  No wonder there are not more reports!  There is practically no one on the ship!

I have to admit that I am despairing a bit now.  With the cases of the virus going up up up in the Dallas area and throughout the country--with the worst yet to come (according to an NPR report this morning), I think it may be a long while before we get to cruise again.  This makes our household very unhappy.  

Someone is onboard in the group I’m on so hopefully there will be more updates.  But yeah, with 120 it’s going to be quieter!

120 passengers sounds like my idea of bliss, but I too worry about the timeline for a return to normal.  I’m presently sitting in an ER in Fort Worth waiting on labs (not due to Covid… just my ongoing bacterial infections) and they are at overflow capacity because the hospital has no free beds.  DFW hasn’t even seen the peak of Delta cases that other parts of the south are now getting, Arkansas and Missouri being hardest hit.

We cancelled our 21-night for the holidays and I’m unlikely to recommit until we have a better line of sight to what this resurgence might mean.  I’m not willing to end up somewhere only to test positive and be denied boarding - and I’m not okay with being limited to ship only tours on a sailing that long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenidallas said:

I’m presently sitting in an ER in Fort Worth waiting on labs (not due to Covid… just my ongoing bacterial infections) and they are at overflow capacity because the hospital has no free beds.  DFW hasn’t even seen the peak of Delta cases that other parts of the south are now getting, Arkansas and Missouri being hardest hit.

We cancelled our 21-night for the holidays and I’m unlikely to recommit until we have a better line of sight to what this resurgence might mean.  I’m not willing to end up somewhere only to test positive and be denied boarding - and I’m not okay with being limited to ship only tours on a sailing that long.

I am so sorry to hear that your bacterial infection is ongoing.  AND that your are in an ER in the middle of this pandemic.  Not a fun time for you.  And, the news is not good going forward for the US and the Delta variant (Texas is only 42% fully vaccinated).  I am even beginning to doubt the wisdom of events we have on our calendar.  Not where we wanted to be when just a few weeks ago we thought we would be booking future cruises.  I am concerned about two things:  1. though asymptomatic, testing positive for the virus , or  2. contracting the virus unknowingly and infecting a  family member under the age of 12 who cannot be vaccinated yet.  

I am curious about the few passengers who embarked in Barbados.  Are they they only ones willing to take the cruise due to all the hassle with testing requirements in Barbados  (and the inability to take private excursions) etc?  Or did Seabourn keep the number purposely low for this first cruise in Caribbean?  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I am curious about the few passengers who embarked in Barbados.  Are they they only ones willing to take the cruise due to all the hassle with testing requirements in Barbados  (and the inability to take private excursions) etc?  Or did Seabourn keep the number purposely low for this first cruise in Caribbean?

First, I'd note just for clarity that for those simply taking the cruise, there really is no "testing hassle" in Barbados. Yes, you need to have a test before flying -- but that's it. Cruise passengers don't need a secondary test in Barbados. (Only people who are flying in early to spend time in Barbados need an arrival test.)

Ship excursions only? Yes, that's definitely a downer. No one who booked these first cruises knew that would be the case, and no one knows how long that will be in effect. Hopefully, like the cruises in Greece, it will soon be possible for passengers to leave the ship on their own.

I don't think we'll find out whether the number of passengers is due to an intentional slow start or slow bookings. But we can see some clues in the recent addition of incentives for these cruises. Compared to when we booked in June, in July Seabourn added $1,000 per person in air credit, an increased the shipboard credit by $200. They wouldn't have done that if the cruises were selling well.

• Like 3

Stressing news from a current passenger, who arrived early for the first Barbados cruise and reports that he was held captive and had to raise hell before being allowed to leave the hotel to get to the port to board the cruise because the on arrival test result had not yet been given.  His post is on Facebook Seabourn friends and family.

2 hours ago, Borna said:

Stressing news from a current passenger, who arrived early for the first Barbados cruise and reports that he was held captive and had to raise hell before being allowed to leave the hotel to get to the port to board the cruise because the on arrival test result had not yet been given.  His post is on Facebook Seabourn friends and family.

Decided I am now going to fly in on the day to avoid arrival testing.

8 hours ago, Borna said:

His post is on Facebook Seabourn friends and family

I submitted a request to join that group and it has not been acted on. Wish I could read the reports there.

Did the traveler say which hotel he was at?

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

I submitted a request to join that group and it has not been acted on. Wish I could read the reports there.

Did the traveler say which hotel he was at?

It may take some time for the admin to see and act on your request. 

Perhaps we can chat here about a Barbados strategy.  Their current rules are strict but should be workable.  But I think the worst possible option is to fly-in the day before embarkation because that can cause a very bad scenario.  Once you get to the island you must be tested and then quarantine at an approved resort/hotel until you get the negative test results.  If you fly-in one day early and your test results take a little longer then expected you are in a situation where your resort/hotel is not supposed to let you leave.  Hence, one can be held hostage at their resort/hotel.    Somebody posted a few weeks ago that they were assured by the Barbados authorities that they would not miss their ship because test results are not back in time.  But we have wondered about that promise since it is not mentioned anywhere in the official Barbados rules/documents.  Until I see that policy in writing I would be very hesitant to fly-in one day early.  So what to do?

In our case we are flying-in several days early and going to a decent resort.   We are permitted to go from the airport to our resort and then be tested at the resort.  We are confined to the resort until we get negative test results, but that normally should take only a few hours since it is handled by the resort.   But even if the test results take longer then expected we are still relaxing at our resort (which is what we plan to do in any case).   Another option is to simply fly in the day of the cruise in which case you are permitted to be directly transferred to the ship without being tested at the airport.  Of course this also involves risk because of a canceled airline flight (there are very few flights to Barbados).

Hank

• Like 1

I agree with you, Hank. I think the best strategy is to fly in two or more days early, and the next-best strategy is to fly in day-of embarkation. Arriving one day early seems to be the worst option: you will be limited in what you can do at your hotel until you receive your test results, most likely sometime the following day. Arriving day-of eliminates the need for the arrival test completely, but exposes you to greater risk from a canceled flight or missing luggage.

This is why we switched our original plan to fly in one day early to flying in two days early.

For testing upon arrival, we're planning to get the test at the airport, since it's (a) free, and (b) in the pipeline for processing as soon as possible. Testing a a restore removes waiting in line at their airport and testing in a more comfortable environment, but carries a significant cost and might take a little longer to get results.

@Borna Were you the one who got something in writing from Barbados about not being held at your hotel if you didn't yet have test results but were going directly from the hotel to the cruise ship? Is that something you can share?

Otherwise, as your departure is imminent, I wish you the best for an enjoyable cruise in which all these details and contingency plans we've been compiling for weeks prove to be minor footnotes and melt away to the simple joy of cruising again! (And, of course, we'll be eager to hear your reports during or after your trip.)

Hlitner and cruiseej:  you are correct.  Either arrive 2 or more days early in Barbados or the day of (with its attendant risks).  Below is a copy of part of an email exchange with Barbados Travel Protocol:, my question, followed by Barbados's response that if I don't get the result, I could still leave my quarantine hotel and leave to board the ship. 

This scenario (which may likely happen to me as I am arriving just one day early) happened to a current passenger, who had to convince his quarantining hotel to let him go to board the ship - since he didn't have the results yet.  He reported his experience on Facebook Seabourn Friends and Family webpage.  

2.  Do we need a rapid COVID-19 test upon arrival?  A Rapid PCR test will be given at the airport before you transfer to your quarantine hotel. Your results should be returned before your departure for your cruise but if not received you will be permitted to leave to take your cruise.

Got my compliant COVID test this morning, waiting for result so I can upload to Barbados, Seabourn, Jet Blue, and St. Lucia websites before my departure late tomorrow (Friday).  

13 minutes ago, Borna said:

Hlitner and cruiseej:  you are correct.  Either arrive 2 or more days early in Barbados or the day of (with its attendant risks).  Below is a copy of part of an email exchange with Barbados Travel Protocol:, my question, followed by Barbados's response that if I don't get the result, I could still leave my quarantine hotel and leave to board the ship. 

This scenario (which may likely happen to me as I am arriving just one day early) happened to a current passenger, who had to convince his quarantining hotel to let him go to board the ship - since he didn't have the results yet.  He reported his experience on Facebook Seabourn Friends and Family webpage.  

2.  Do we need a rapid COVID-19 test upon arrival?  A Rapid PCR test will be given at the airport before you transfer to your quarantine hotel. Your results should be returned before your departure for your cruise but if not received you will be permitted to leave to take your cruise.

Got my compliant COVID test this morning, waiting for result so I can upload to Barbados, Seabourn, Jet Blue, and St. Lucia websites before my departure late tomorrow (Friday).  W

We wish you good trip and bon voyage.   Was not aware of the need to upload to St Lucia although it does make some sense.

Hank

On 7/20/2021 at 11:22 PM, cruiseej said:

First, I'd note just for clarity that for those simply taking the cruise, there really is no "testing hassle" in Barbados.

Maybe testing hassle is not the right word--but let's call it testing strategy--or arrival strategy.  I'm not very good with words.  

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Was not aware of the need to upload to St Lucia although it does make some sense.

I think Borna is doing that in the hope that they will be allowed out of the Seabourn bubble in St. Lucia, a country which doesn't have an entry test requirement other than proof of vaccination. As of now,  travel outside a Seabourn excursion isn't allowed, so uploading information to countries to be visited isn't required, or of any use. 

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Maybe testing hassle is not the right word--but let's call it testing strategy--or arrival strategy.  I'm not very good with words.

Your words on this forum are just fine! 😉 

Yes, I think "arrival strategy" is a better way of putting it. It's been a bit challenging because Seabourn hasn't done a great job of communicating, so upcoming passengers have been trying to parse details from not only Seabourn but the Barbados travel authorities and other countries on the Caribbean itineraries. It will get a bit easier now that the cruises have started and we can get first-hand reports from passengers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daneite said:

Well the admin is posting on this thread so she may see it here and hurry things along.

I am pretty sure the admin you are talking about, posting here, is on a different Group to the one mentioned further up this thread! I can assure you, that the Group I am talking about, checks New Member applications, many times a day, and that is by 3 people. As long as its not a "Fake" FB account, and the relevant questions are answered, people are granted membership at least within hours, if not minutes.

I am a member of the Seabourn Sailors Facebook group.

The one mentioned above is the Seabourn Friends and Family group. I requested membership about 5 days ago with no response. I requested membership again earlier this evening, so far with no response. My FB account is real, and I answered the questions. No response within minutes or hours.

23 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

The one mentioned above is the Seabourn Friends and Family group. I requested membership about 5 days ago with no response. I requested membership again earlier this evening, so far with no response. My FB account is real, and I answered the questions. No response within minutes or hours.

your Seabourn Sailors membership wouldn't have sat there with no response though! Obviously by my name you can tell what group I recommend!

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Sorry I misread your post and thought Seabourn Sailors (ie 2seabournsailors) was the one that hadn't responded. Your membership request probably hasn't been granted as Mark, the admin on there is currently on Ovation.