Princess just cancelled Caribbean Princess Nov 6 to 20 NY to FLL

1 minute ago, Desert Cruisers said:

News release at 11am Pacific this morning…All 2021 New England sailings and the repositioning cruise back to Florida have been cancelled. 

What reason was given? I wonder if our TA, London to Ft. Lauderdale, will be on the chopping block.

2 minutes ago, 1965 said:

What reason was given? I wonder if our TA, London to Ft. Lauderdale, will be on the chopping block.

“Due to the ongoing Canadian Transport Ministry’s Interim Order that extends closure of Canadian ports and waters to passenger vessels…”

• Like 1

This is the reason given: 

VOYAGE CANCELLATION
Due to the ongoing order that extends the closure of Canadian ports and waters to passenger vessels through February 2022, we've cancelled fall cruises from New York on Caribbean Princess, including this voyage.

I was just starting to believe that this cruise was going to be alright.  We were looking at shore tours when I got the email.

I was really afraid that they were going to scrap the cruise from NY.  We are booked on that one as well as the New England/Canada cruise the week before. We were pretty sure Princess was going to cancel the first cruise but were hoping they would still bring the ship up to NY for the Nov. 6 cruise.  

I'm not sure how many cancellations this now makes for us; I've lost count!  We are also booked on the April 2022 Sydney to San Francisco cruise but sounds like that may be cancelled too since Australia is very cautious about opening their borders.  When everything finally starts going again, I just may be too old to sail!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skynight said:

It's a cruise that starts in Quebec. That's why.

It started in NYC and did not include any Canadian ports on the itinerary.

11 hours ago, 1965 said:

What reason was given?

They did not say it, but without the NE/Canada cruises occurring, there was no reason for the ship to be in NYC on November 6 in order to do this repositioning.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

It started in NYC and did not include any Canadian ports on the itinerary.

I don't have access to the actual itinerary, but didn't the ship sail first from Quebec to NYC and then to Ft. Lauderdale via one of the ABC islands? 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I don't have access to the actual itinerary, but didn't the ship sail first from Quebec to NYC and then to Ft. Lauderdale via one of the ABC islands? 

No and then yes. Caribbean Princess had been scheduled to do the 7-night roundtrips out of NYC that Regal Princess had done in 2019 and for a few years before. In past years, the positioning cruise to FLL had been 10 nights but Princess added more port calls and had planned it to be 14 nights this year.

A lot of people tend to forget the cause-and-effect aspect of positioning cruises. In general, positioning cruises are not scheduled on their own merit but rather to position the ship for its next season. Since the ship is already near Ft. Lauderdale, there is little reason to run it up to NYC only to then sail it back down to Ft. Lauderdale. It also, during this phased resumption of service, buys them another three weeks to get it ready.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, 1965 said:

Also problems in Fl with the new law where cruise companies are not allowed to ask for vaccine status of pax.  So if this isn’t resolved I don’t see the Regal going back to FLL but another state or somewhere in the Caribbean for the next cruise.  I am booked on this TA but live in Fl so I am not flying anywhere to get home.  
Situations are crazy and likely to put many cruise lines into bankruptcy 

Edited by spyro1952

5 hours ago, skynight said:

Yes, but the 14 night repositioning cruise itself had no Canadian ports on its itinerary.

Only if one had booked a B2B with the previous cruise from Quebec would there have been Canadian ports.

10 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We’re booked on Caribbean Princess Jan 23rd out of FLL

i assume this ship will eventually make its way there and our cruise won’t be affected 

No eventually needed. Caribbean Princess is currently at anchor in the Bahamas.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for all the cruisers affected by our stuck-in-the-mud, slow-to-act, behind-the-8-ball, government that is dragging out the Covid-19 measures ad nauseum.  Who knows when they will agree to open our land border?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, balcony24 said:

I just got a cancellation notice for our Nov 6th cruise.  Any one else get this?

What’s odd is this cruise starts in NY and ends in FLL so why cancel the whole thing if it’s just the Canadian stop that was the problem ?

On 6/4/2021 at 8:33 AM, lstone19 said:

Since the ship is already near Ft. Lauderdale, there is little reason to run it up to NYC only to then sail it back down to Ft. Lauderdale. It also, during this phased resumption of service, buys them another three weeks to get it ready.

I disagree.

There is plenty of "reason to run it up to NYC only to then sail it back down to Ft. Lauderdale."  It wasn't just going from NYC to FLL.  This was 14 days on a ship that was nearly sold out for this voyage. Granted, I don't know what capacity (40%, 50%, 100%) they were planning to sail with, but that is not the point. The point is, that instead of sitting idle in the water, they had a ship that was going to be giving them revenue, something that Princess has not been able to do for over a year. To use the excuse to cancel because of the "Canadian Travel Ministry" is a sorry cop out in my opinion. Now that ship is giving them no income.

Hey Princess..... You really blew it on this one. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2021 at 12:34 PM, caribill said:

Yes, but the 14 night repositioning cruise itself had no Canadian ports on its itinerary.

Only if one had booked a B2B with the previous cruise from Quebec would there have been Canadian ports.

True, that there were no Canadian ports on our now-cancelled cruise.  But the ship was not going to be doing the Canadian cruises because of COVID, as far as I know.

Edited by BarbinMich

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

What’s odd is this cruise starts in NY and ends in FLL so why cancel the whole thing if it’s just the Canadian stop that was the problem ?

There was no Canadian stop planned for this cruise.

They cancelled it because the ship was no longer going to be in NYC due to cancelled cruises that did include Canada.

1 minute ago, Barry ATL said:

Our 11/28 cruise will be the second cruise for CB.  I wonder if the will still be working out he bugs of a totally new crew coming together.

"as currently scheduled"

maybe Princess could schedule a 14 day 'reverse' cruise the prior 2 weeks - do a FLL to NY via Aruba - then do the scheduled NY to FLL

is there enough time and passenger interest to do this fall cruise ??

On 6/4/2021 at 4:33 PM, Steelers36 said:

Sorry for all the cruisers affected by our stuck-in-the-mud, slow-to-act, behind-the-8-ball, government that is dragging out the Covid-19 measures ad nauseum.  Who knows when they will agree to open our land border?

I am sorry for the cruisers this affects as well. However you are wrong when it comes to blaming  our government for this The mentioned cruise had no Canadian ports! It is still too early to open our borders ... we need to be closer to herd immunity before we travel to the US or let them come into Canada!

On 6/4/2021 at 6:53 AM, spyro1952 said:

Also problems in Fl with the new law where cruise companies are not allowed to ask for vaccine status of pax.  So if this isn’t resolved I don’t see the Regal going back to FLL but another state or somewhere in the Caribbean for the next cruise.  I am booked on this TA but live in Fl so I am not flying anywhere to get home.  
Situations are crazy and likely to put many cruise lines into bankruptcy 

Since Royal Caribbean just gave up on their vacc mandate and will allow unvacc pax to board in FL & TX, most likely other lines including PCL will probably not fight the policies that prohibit vacc madates of passengers.

25 minutes ago, cnd crsr said:

I am sorry for the cruisers this affects as well. However you are wrong when it comes to blaming  our government for this The mentioned cruise had no Canadian ports! It is still too early to open our borders ... we need to be closer to herd immunity before we travel to the US or let them come into Canada!

Because the particular voyage out of NYC was part of the Fall New England/Canada season, the single final voyage is not going to run on its own.  Canada was part of that situation - just as Canada has affected the Alaska season this summer.  By Fall, we are all supposed to be fully vaccinated.  In fact, our PM stated we will all (those that want it) be vaccinated sometime in September. 

And it is NOT too early to re-open our borders if the first phase is only for fully vaccinated folks.

• Like 1