Jump to content

What is in Icy Straight Point?


Locobill49
 Share

Recommended Posts

I would be very disappointed if the port was changed from Skagway to ISP.  Diamonds International is certainly the negative and ISP doesn’t have one but a zip line and gondola really doesn’t capture what Alaska is about either. Sounds more like an amusement park. Other than whale watching, ISP does not have much to offer on a consistent basis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

For ISP we have 2 options in times for a whale watching trip - 1pm or 4pm. Any different (besides the obvious) between the 2 or recommendations on the timing for one vs the other?


We're leaning towards the earlier one so we can walk the 1.5 miles into town afterwards for some food and beer, then take our time walking back.

 

Or are there shuttles that will go between Hoonah and the pier?

Check out Glacier Winds, if you haven't already.  Much better experience than the cruise ship whale watching excursion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

The reviews are awful on Google maps. This will be a spa day for us for sure. Not excited about this port.

Depends on what you consider enjoyable. I've read nothing but positive things about being able to see tons of wildlife. For us, that's a plus and worth the venture out on land. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sailing12Away said:

Depends on what you consider enjoyable. I've read nothing but positive things about being able to see tons of wildlife. For us, that's a plus and worth the venture out on land. 

We are not hikers here, so enjoying the ship after a little shopping is very ideal now after many cruises.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

We are not hikers here, so enjoying the ship after a little shopping is very ideal now after many cruises.

Scroll through the posts in this thread, someone posted a link to their blog with descriptions of their trip to ISP. There's a flat, paved, walkway between the port and town for about a 1.5 mile walk with benches along the way. So even if you casually strolled along the water you could see eagles and whales most likely if the weather was nice that day, before heading back to the ship and be able to say you "saw" the town. Just food for thought.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sailing12Away said:

Scroll through the posts in this thread, someone posted a link to their blog with descriptions of their trip to ISP. There's a flat, paved, walkway between the port and town for about a 1.5 mile walk with benches along the way. So even if you casually strolled along the water you could see eagles and whales most likely if the weather was nice that day, before heading back to the ship and be able to say you "saw" the town. Just food for thought.

Oh we will definitely take in the scenery,  I'll need pictures. Just won't be spending too much time in port with the lack of things to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoonah (ISP) is not set up commercially like Ketchikan -

nor like a (Capitol) city Juneau -

is not theme parked like Skagway (WPYRR) -

and not historic like Sitka

 

If you don't get off the ship you will not know what you missed -

weather maybe an excuse -

but you can visit the cannery factory free -

and the walk-about is of course free -

take the shuttle to town -

see what quaint fishing villages offer -

 

I came - I saw - I took photos with lasting impressions -

and in leaving hoping for a memorable sunset -

and perchance later see the Northern Lights !

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

We are not hikers here, so enjoying the ship after a little shopping is very ideal now after many cruises.

I always hated hiking or any active lifestyle sports of any kind. I mean I would rather spend like 10 hours walking in the mall rather than climbing the mountains. At least I will have a chance to relax in a food court, get some massage and do some valuable shopping. Maybe its just me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I just like to get off the boat and walk along the pebble beach. My favorite thing is to sit beside the campfire the usually have going, relax, while others stroll by.  

 

On our first trip there, before the dock was built and you had to tender in, we had two orcas playing right next to the ship.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whale watching here is phenomenal, much better than Juneau.  The whales were bubble net feeding and it was fascinating.  Don't dismiss ISP just because it is small.  It is a nice change from the tourist heavy atmospheres of most of the other ports.  It is quiet and peaceful and quaint.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2021 at 7:45 PM, ClevelandCruisin said:

The reviews are awful on Google maps. This will be a spa day for us for sure. Not excited about this port.

The reviews are wrong.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2021 at 2:04 AM, Roger88 said:

I always hated hiking or any active lifestyle sports of any kind. I mean I would rather spend like 10 hours walking in the mall rather than climbing the mountains. At least I will have a chance to relax in a food court, get some massage and do some valuable shopping. Maybe its just me

It's not about hiking. We just are there to enjoy the sights, buy souvenirs, and enjoy a little bit of time while in port. We aren't going out into the woods like other people will be doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, quack2 said:

The reviews are wrong.

 

Some people may not like the port, hence the bad reviews. Some may love it. Reviews tell a big picture of the experience. If you like the port, then hey that's great. I've never been there, so I have to go by what is on the computer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I consider our day at Icy Strait Point one of my favorites of all times, but I know this is due in part to two things we had no control over...the PERFECT weather and the many, many whales that were bubble net feeding right along the shoreline. I'm sure I would have had a different opinion if our day had been cold & rainy with no wildlife.

 

We did a wonderful whale watching trip with Glacier Winds in the morning but enjoyed the rest of the day back at the port just as much. There is enough to see and do and if you wish, you could easily enjoy this port without spending a penny. 

 

I have posted lots of photos on my blog if you would like to get an idea of what is at the port.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

I consider our day at Icy Strait Point one of my favorites of all times, but I know this is due in part to two things we had no control over...the PERFECT weather and the many, many whales that were bubble net feeding right along the shoreline. I'm sure I would have had a different opinion if our day had been cold & rainy with no wildlife.

 

We did a wonderful whale watching trip with Glacier Winds in the morning but enjoyed the rest of the day back at the port just as much. There is enough to see and do and if you wish, you could easily enjoy this port without spending a penny. 

 

I have posted lots of photos on my blog if you would like to get an idea of what is at the port.

Love Icy Strait and Glacier Wind for whale watching.  One of our favorite ports.  Miss seeing your blog on Alaska --- hopefully, there will be another one in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My cruise in 2019 stopped in Icy Strait on June 21. I enjoyed the walk to Hoonah (and back). It's a dirt/gravel road that's fairly flat. The exhibits at the salmon cannery were nice. There were several eagles in the trees near the dock. There's not much to Hoonah. But I thought it was nice to see a town without the typical cruise shops.

 

I talked to some people who took excursions. The ones who went whale watching loved it. The ones who went on bear watching ones did not see any. Late June was too early for bears there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...