Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

Closed loop cruise requirements
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I listened too, and read it as vaccinated but .. able to cruise with more than 5% unvaccinated. .. why else say they are working with the cdc to come to a compromise.  If it was just what the cdc says, 5% they wojldnt be negotiating with the cdc.  Imo. They need more than 5% allowed. 

She certainly hinted that there would be an accommodation of some sort. As I said before, folks at the CDC, Carnival executives, heck, many officers of the fleets, all have families and children. Despite the vocal anti-family minority, families are still the fabric of society. They also spend more money than singles/couples. No way they will be ignored/forgotten/past over.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Call your TA or PVP and switch the cruise to next summer and hopefully the OBC will transfer as well.

We may be able to switch out 4 yo w 12 yr old step granddaughter since she made all A's.  Just waiting for final news from carnival before any decision is made. Still time for her to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfunk138 said:

In a way, this whole thread is "hearsay"... Christine Duffy didn't make any specific policy announcements.  

She was pretty clear on vaccines, vaccine proof process, and working with the CDC to accommodate families with kids under 12. She didn't really beat around the bush, it was clear and concise in my interpretation. They usually dance/squirm and talk in circles when they want to ambiguous. She was on point.     

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'm hoping it's their policy till the CSO expires on November 1.  This means it will be in effect for our Halloween Mardi Gras cruise.

That's exactly what we're hoping too -- then both our July and our October cruises on Breeze will be as close to "normal" as possible. Yes, please! 

43 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Those hearts can mend over time.  It'll be a one time thing lasting about 10 weeks or so from mid August till end of October. 😃

Will last a few years for us.  Won't be able to rebook for a while.  Might be the last time we will ever have a family vacation all together again. But yes.... it will be okay.  We had two cancelled already so a third time will be okay.  We just invested double the money into this one and got everything perfectly in line for this one.  Won't ever happen again.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Very few on closed loop cruises from the USA. 

I took the comment by the travel agent in the earlier post to mean the form of identification to travel, not a vaccination passport, because she said “and” indicating  two different things - proof of vaccination and a passport. Yes, there are other acceptable forms for closed loop.

Do vaccination passports even exist? I thought it was just a concept being explored to expedite travel?

Carnival Cruise Lines has more than 10% of their customers onboard being kids.  If they go with 5%, they will need families to cancel.  Maybe they expect a lot of those families having adults that won't get vaccinated.  Maybe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, txgranny said:

Curious as to what the % is for kids under 12. Trying to do the math in hopes my 4yr old MAY be allowed to go w negative covid test as part of the 5%. Guess I'm grasping at straws.

Several years ago we went to a future cruise event onboard the Freedom (from Galveston.)  This was the month of April.  The lady told us that anytime school was out was considered peak times and would have higher rates.  She gave us a for instance.  She said that the week prior to our cruise was spring break for some schools in Texas.  That cruise had just over 1,000 passengers under the age of 18.  Our week was considered a low week with just over 300 passengers under the age of 18, or roughly 10%.  She didn't break it down further, but even on a low week back then just over 10% were under 18.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Several years ago we went to a future cruise event onboard the Freedom (from Galveston.)  This was the month of April.  The lady told us that anytime school was out was considered peak times and would have higher rates.  She gave us a for instance.  She said that the week prior to our cruise was spring break for some schools in Texas.  That cruise had just over 1,000 passengers under the age of 18.  Our week was considered a low week with just over 300 passengers under the age of 18, or roughly 10%.  She didn't break it down further, but even on a low week back then just over 10% were under 18.

Yep.  Very accurate.  Texas spring break is March 13th week for most Texans.  Some districts are the week prior or the week after but most are March 13th week.  Definitely wouldn't want to cruise then.  lol  

We normally cruise in early May and it is about 500-700 kids onboard then.

Edited by BrotherCraig

2 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

My wife teaches kindergarten.  She is vaccinated so she doesn't worry about the kids being vaccinated or not.  Doesn't affect her or the other teachers and faculty in the school since they are all vaccinated.  

My DW has all the students in her small elementary school pre-k to 6 as an art teacher. Lat year before there were the emergency authorized vaccinations, she had to quarantine 10 days as one of the 5th graders tested positive and DW had her for lunch duty where you obviously do not wear your mask to eat. 

This year, the entire 3rd grade was quarantined. DW was released from quarantine because she was fully vaccinated. I think a staff member was at fault. I do not understand how you can live with yourself as an elementary school staff member and not get vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

She was pretty clear on vaccines, vaccine proof process, and working with the CDC to accommodate families with kids under 12. She didn't really beat around the bush, it was clear and concise in my interpretation. They usually dance/squirm and talk in circles when they want to ambiguous. She was on point.     

She was definitely pretty clear about the vaccine part, but I'm also wanting to hear the official word as to what cruises are going to start when and what are all the protocols going to be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

and no kids at first.  She said "eventually" have families cruising onboard again.  So it sounds like they will start with teens and adults only and no kids for a while.  At least until November.

That wouldn't be the worst thing ever on our 2nd honeymoon cruise (with Cheers) we're hoping to take in November.....

• Haha 1

Just now, Lee Cruiser said:

She was definitely pretty clear about the vaccine part, but I'm also wanting to hear the official word as to what cruises are going to start when and what are all the protocols going to be.

I'm sure they will be satisfactory for most cruisers. If they run vaccinated cruises, it should be mask free with very little restrictions. This is what everyone wanted and I personally think vaccinated cruises are WAY better than non vaccinated with a bunch of restrictions and masks. Vaccination requirements over masks/restrictions all day, any day. It will be interesting to see what the final rules will be but I suspect the CDC will reward lines for choosing the vaccination route and allow cruising to resume close to "normal". The carrot works much better than the stick. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I think short-term, vaccines will be necessary to cruise. She mentioned maintaining the guest experience, which would be very restricted if unvaccinated are allow to cruise at this time.

My guess is that everyone's hope is that once cruise lines are carrying passengers, protocols are tested, new cases of Covid are zero or very minimal and manageable, then the CDC will further lift restrictions (as they should) and all of this becomes a moot point in terms of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.

For me, the best thing she mentioned was the part about protocols for vaccinated vs unvaccinated cruises.  That would mean no masks!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'm sure they will be satisfactory for most cruisers. If they run vaccinated cruises, it should be mask free with very little restrictions. This is what everyone wanted and I personally think vaccinated cruises are WAY better than non vaccinated with a bunch of restrictions and masks. Vaccination requirements over masks/restrictions all day, any day. It will be interesting to see what the final rules will be but I suspect the CDC will reward lines for choosing the vaccination route and allow cruising to resume close to "normal". The carrot works much better than the stick. 

I think the cruiselines underestimate how much of a political flashpoint they are getting into when the effectively become the first domestic testcase for vaccine passports in the US (if they homeport in the US).  Sure they are placating the CDC for now, but there could be long term reputation damage here.  I can go to Universal Studios (and soon Disney) in Florida with 50,000 other people, no mask, no vaccine but not cruise?  That's not going to hold up well.

I still have some optimism that vaccine "proof" is going to be "check the box", "wink wink, nod nod", which is basically what every other business in US has done so far.  But again... the Duffy comments were less than specific on actual policy.

• Like 2

I'm excited to get back on board. The US may be making good strides but that doesn't mean that every port is as well. I think it's a good move to start off with vaccine requirements to keep crew, passengers, and the locals safe. I was still going masks or not but am happy to think they won't be required.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfunk138 said:

I think the cruiselines underestimate how much of a political flashpoint they are getting into when the effectively become the first domestic testcase for vaccine passports in the US (if they homeport in the US).  Sure they are placating the CDC for now, but there could be long term reputation damage here.  I can go to Universal Studios (and soon Disney) in Florida with 50,000 other people, no mask, no vaccine but not cruise?  That's not going to hold up well.

I still have some optimism that vaccine "proof" is going to be "check the box", "wink wink, nod nod", which is basically what every other business in US has done so far.  But again... the Duffy comments were less than specific on actual policy.

I don't think they are trying to be political. I think they are trying to resume sailings and survive. The CDC has painted them into a corner and this allows them to deflect some of the backlash on the CDC. I also don't think the backlash will be as big as many think. People throw fits all the time and they eventually get over it once they cool down and think rationally. I'm sure the cruise lines would love to resume as they were prior to the shutdown and maximize profit but that's just not possible right now.

It's unvaccinated cruises with a bunch of restrictions, rules and oversight or vaccinated cruises with less restrictions, rules and oversight. I think the vast majority of cruisers would pick the latter option. It's a smart business decision from product package, liability, and PR positions and makes better business sense than the alternative of a protracted battle to placate a small minority of cruisers/politicians; while at the same time losing money, going broke and taking on a huge liability.

I'm sure it makes port agreements easier to negotiate as well. Gambling the whole corporation on going against the grain right now is fiscal malfeasance at this point. They need to get cruising, do it safely, maximize plausible deniability, reduce liability, and profit chase. The vaccine route is the path of least resistance and the path to stop the bleeding.         

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I can go to Universal Studios (and soon Disney) in Florida with 50,000 other people, no mask, no vaccine but not cruise?  That's not going to hold up well.

But those 50,000 people are not confined to about 10,000sf of space. If you look at a cruise ship, there are 2 maybe 3 primary decks all of those passengers are on and those spaces are not massive comparatively. What would a cruise line do: Even cabins on even decks can go to the Lido deck from 7:45AM - 8:30AM, Even number cabins on odd number decks can only be in the Atrium from 7:45AM - 8:30AM, Odd cabins on odd decks can only be in the dining room from 8:00AM to 9:15AM. If your cabin and deck number do not have a scheduled activity location, you must be in your cabin until your scheduled time to go some where comes around.

I don't see that happening either. Vaccine = no mask. Non-vaccinated means everyone will have to wear masks. Just stop with the no vaccine crowds. If you don't have it, you don't board. Make it simple and there are no arguments...but there will be some whining.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

But those 50,000 people are not confined to about 10,000sf of space. If you look at a cruise ship, there are 2 maybe 3 primary decks all of those passengers are on and those spaces are not massive comparatively. What would a cruise line do: Even cabins on even decks can go to the Lido deck from 7:45AM - 8:30AM, Even number cabins on even number decks can only be in the Atrium from 7:45AM - 8:30AM, Odd cabins on odd decks can only be in the dining room from 8:00AM to 9:15AM. If your cabin and deck number do not have a scheduled activity location, you must be in your cabin until your scheduled time to go some where comes around.

I don't see that happening either. Vaccine = no mask. Non-vaccinated means everyone will have to wear masks. Just stop with the no vaccine crowds. If you don't have it, you don't board. Make it simple and there are no arguments...but there will be some whining.

Those 50,000 haven't been tested for covid, so that makes it a much higher risk than cruising with tested people. To do anything like fly on a plane, ride bus, eat at a restaurant, etc is a higher risk than cruising with people who have been tested for covid.  You can get on a plane and sit next to an untested person for hours and nobody bats an eye.  But try to plan a cruise where everyone is tested before boarding and people think the world is ending.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Cruise lines are a business; not a political party. They are interested in giving their customers the best, and safest experience, given the circumstances. They can't control how people are going to spin that, nor should they try.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Those 50,000 haven't been tested for covid, so that makes it a much higher risk than cruising with tested people. To do anything like fly on a plane, ride bus, eat at a restaurant, etc is a higher risk than cruising with people who have been tested for covid.  You can get on a plane and sit next to an untested person for hours and nobody bats an eye.  But try to plan a cruise where everyone is tested before boarding and people think the world is ending.

The cruise lines want nothing to do with testing. It's expensive, slows things down, causes more problems, creates additional oversight, additional paperwork, and increases liability/exposure. It's not in their best interests. Vaccines remove that.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

It still doesn't matter because they are mostly spaced out in outdoor environments. If 100% of a captive audience is vaccinated, there is extremely little to worry about. Now, if you wanted to compare something at Disney World like Cosmic Ray's at 12PM during Christmas Day, that is probably a fair comparison. The simple fact is that she stated, fairly clearly that cruising to start will be vaccinated cruises. They do not have the onboard staff nor resources to manage it any other way. It would be impossible to manage two sets of rules. When you have to choose the 90% over the 10%, it is easy to pick the 90%. They can find more vaccinated passengers to fill the 10%.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Actually on united airlines I already uploaded my vaccine card as well and fill in the date, where and what shot was given

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1