Jump to content

Mediation between CDC and Florida Collapses


Recommended Posts

Just now, RaftingJeremy said:

Looks like the judge will hear the case on Thursday. 

For the preliminary injunction.  IMO FL loses and it gets thrown out but we shall find out pretty quickly 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yuck....I posted this on a separate thread, but no answers:

 

If NCL doesn't sail out of FL...I assume all ships docking for the day won't happen either.

 

Oh well....NYC/Bahamas....may just be another cancellation to add to my list (booked it specifically for the full day in Port Canaveral).

 

Any opinions or commiserations will be appreciated! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 9:20 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

If NCL doesn't sail out of FL...I assume all ships docking for the day won't happen either.

 

Oh well....NYC/Bahamas....may just be another cancellation to add to my list (booked it specifically for the full day in Port Canaveral).

 

Any opinions or commiserations will be appreciated!

 

Here's my $0.02- once you have embarked and proven your vaccination status in NY, you won't have to do that again on a regular port stop like FL.  If a FL resident flies to NY and tries to embark without the vacc, he/she will be denied there because the FL law has no effect in NY.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Don put out a video yesterday saying that the judge won't be making a ruling until 1st July at the earliest because the DOJ wanted to gather more information.

I can see this dragging on until Desantis can't politicize it any more, or at least he can no longer get any political equity out of it.  Then, he won't press the matter any further, no fines issued, and cruise lines will sail safely requiring the COVID Vaccines to sail until it's safe to lift that requirement.

 

I just can't see any/many passengers who are anti-vaxxers willing to spend more for testing and sailing with the requirement that they sail with a mask when in public.

 

NCL has made many missteps (including leaving us Joy/Gem passengers literally high and dry after telling us they wanted us to cruise with them at their restart).  One of the things they got right was requiring 100% COVID Vaccines to keep their passengers safe.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I can see this dragging on until Desantis can't politicize it any more, or at least he can no longer get any political equity out of it.  Then, he won't press the matter any further, no fines issued, and cruise lines will sail safely requiring the COVID Vaccines to sail until it's safe to lift that requirement.

 

I just can't see any/many passengers who are anti-vaxxers willing to spend more for testing and sailing with the requirement that they sail with a mask when in public.

 

Or maybe there is just a very vocal group of people that want to make everybody do what they want.

 

Vaccinations have crawled to a snail pace in Florida, the percentage of people that will not be vaccinated is going to be way higher than anyone thought.

 

Maybe he is looking out for half of his people.

 

If you want to sail on a fully vaccinated ship, you will have choices.  Give everybody else choices as well.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

^^^^^^

 

Agree!  Choices are good.

 

I think Royal is offering cruises currently where Vaccines are not required, but STRONGLY recommended.  

 

Celebrity is allowing 5% of their passengers to be unvaccinated, but I assume they're doing that for kids.

 

You can cruise either.  You'll be paying more for extra testing and have to wear a mask when in public.  But, you can cruise.

 

Personally, I choose not to cruise on any line that doesn't offer at least 95% of the passengers to have the COVID vaccine.  And, I believe that's on the low side.  It will be higher than that.  That's my choice.  I won't sail on Royal because of their lack of Vaccine requirements.  Also, my choice.

 

From what I know, Carnival (and her sister companies) and NCL are requiring safe cruising with 100% Covid Vaccine requirements.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

Or maybe there is just a very vocal group of people that want to make everybody do what they want.

 

Vaccinations have crawled to a snail pace in Florida, the percentage of people that will not be vaccinated is going to be way higher than anyone thought.

 

Maybe he is looking out for half of his people.

 

If you want to sail on a fully vaccinated ship, you will have choices.  Give everybody else choices as well.

 

Yep.

 

Those ranting about the State of Florida 'politicizing this forget 😉 that the State of Florida is seeking (in reaction) to prevent Federal regulators from doing exactly the same thing and only to the cruise lines.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

Or maybe there is just a very vocal group of people that want to make everybody do what they want.

This is it. Many people want to force others to make their choices.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Don put out a video yesterday saying that the judge won't be making a ruling until 1st July at the earliest because the DOJ wanted to gather more information.

That being the case, I see the August Gem sailings out of Miami to be at risk.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 4:13 PM, DCGuy64 said:

It is definitely exciting to see Celebrity moving ahead. And on kind of a sidenote, you are many things, but you are definitely not dumb! I think you’re one of the best informed people on here. 

 

It's that Michigander in her.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, KennyFla said:

RCL just announced they were definitely cruising in July, so hang in there.

 

Hope you're right. I'm on the inaugural "Rat Pack" cruise; July 17-24, 2021 on Adventure of the Seas out of Nassau.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2021 at 2:48 PM, CaptainWoody said:

That exemption bill flew through uncontested.  If there's some glitch due to wording, they can just sail another one through to fix it.  Alaska cruising is happening this fall.  I guarantee it.

 

A rat never goes back on his word. Unless he has a piece of cheese in his mouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Don put out a video yesterday saying that the judge won't be making a ruling until 1st July at the earliest because the DOJ wanted to gather more information.

That explanation makes 0 sense.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the June 7th announcement.   
 

 

“I am pleased to continue our Great Cruise Comeback with plans already announced for 23 of our 28 ships across our three brands beginning in July 2021 and phasing in through early 2022,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. “We want to thank Governor DeSantis and the State of Florida for fighting in support of our industry. His leadership helped bring the CDC to the table. We are currently in communication with his staff and legal counsel to ensure that we can offer the safest cruise experience for our passengers departing from the cruise capital of the world."

Norwegian Cruise Line has announced further details on its phased voyage resumption plan for additional ships beginning summer 2021. Newly announced expected deployment plans include the following:

Norwegian Gem will cruise seven-day itineraries to the Caribbean beginning August 15, 2021 and a four-day voyage to the Bahamas in November from Miami;

Additional itineraries on Norwegian Breakaway are open for sale to Bermuda starting September 26, 2021 from New York;

Norwegian Bliss will sail on October 24, 2021 to the Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles;

Norwegian Escape will sail on November 13, 2021 to the Caribbean from Port Canaveral;

In addition, Norwegian Encore, the newest ship in the line’s fleet, will make her debut on the West Coast, taking the place of the previously announced Norwegian Bliss for the 2021 summer Alaska cruise season. The Alaska itinerary will include visits to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point, while also offering guests majestic views of Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier or Glacier Bay. Guests and travel partners with impacted reservations will be contacted directly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, KennyFla said:

 

Vaccinations have crawled to a snail pace in Florida, the percentage of people that will not be vaccinated is going to be way higher than anyone thought.

 

Maybe he is looking out for half of his people.

 

If you want to sail on a fully vaccinated ship, you will have choices.  Give everybody else choices as well.

How, exactly, is vaccinations crawling to a snail’s pace in FL a good thing? Although I know that is certainly the case. You do realize that if we don’t achieve an adequate % of vaccinated people here that is just an open invitation for continuing infections and variants?  And I got news for you, governors are supposed to look out for all their residents, not just their base voters.  

 

If you don’t get vaccinated your cruising choices are likely to be quite limited for a while. Might need to get used to it.  Choices have consequences. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, harkinmr said:

How, exactly, is vaccinations crawling to a snail’s pace in FL a good thing? 

I'm not saying it is good or bad, I'm saying it is reality.  We all need to live in the real world.

 

11 hours ago, harkinmr said:

  And I got news for you, governors are supposed to look out for all their residents, not just their base voters.  

 

Exactly.  Vaccinated and unvaccinated.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I just can't see any/many passengers who are anti-vaxxers willing to spend more for testing and sailing with the requirement that they sail with a mask when in public.

Why do you believe they'll wear a mask in public?

Most who oppose the vaccines also oppose masks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

I'm not saying it is good or bad, I'm saying it is reality.  We all need to live in the real world.

 

Exactly.  Vaccinated and unvaccinated.

 

Hey KennyFla, I've been following/reading your posts and you sound like Rat Pack material. If interested in joining us, just shoot me an e-mail at ; martycp60@gmail.com.

 

@CaptainWoody

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KennyFla said:
1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

I'm not saying it is good or bad, I'm saying it is reality.  We all need to live in the real world.

 

Exactly.  Vaccinated and unvaccinated.

 

I know what the reality is and the reality is both unnecessary and embarrassing. So many other states have achieved much higher levels of vaccine uptake.  Florida is ranked 28 out of 50 states. Lots of vaccine hesitancy, and that hesitancy appears to be supported by the Governor. 

Edited by harkinmr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I know what the reality is and the reality is both unnecessary and embarrassing. So many other states have achieved much higher levels of vaccine uptake.  Florida is ranked 28 out of 50 states. Lots of vaccine hesitancy, and that hesitancy appears to be supported by the Governor. 

  • I keep hearing this from you guys, I don't know where you get this information from.  Florida has given the third most vaccinations in the country, and is the third most populated.  The following shows:

    1) Fully Vaccinated

    2) Doses

    3) Population

     

     

    California

     
     
     

    17m

    24.9m

    39.5m

  • Texas

     
     
     

    10.1m

    17.8m

    29m

  • Florida

     
     
     

    8.2m

    13.2m

    21.5m

  • New York State

     
     
     

    9m

    12.1m

    19.5m

  • Pennsylvania

     
     
     

    5.5m

    7.6m

    12.8m

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KennyFla said:
  • I keep hearing this from you guys, I don't know where you get this information from.  Florida has given the third most vaccinations in the country, and is the third most populated.  The following shows:

    1) Fully Vaccinated

    2) Doses

    3) Population

     

     

    California

     
     
     

    17m

    24.9m

    39.5m

  • Texas

     
     
     

    10.1m

    17.8m

    29m

  • Florida

     
     
     

    8.2m

    13.2m

    21.5m

  • New York State

     
     
     

    9m

    12.1m

    19.5m

  • Pennsylvania

     
     
     

    5.5m

    7.6m

    12.8m

It’s not the number of vaccines distributed. It is the percentage of the population that is vaccinated that matters. Florida: number 28 out of 50. 
 

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-population-vaccinated-march-15.html

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KennyFla said:
  • I keep hearing this from you guys, I don't know where you get this information from.  Florida has given the third most vaccinations in the country, and is the third most populated.  The following shows:

    1) Fully Vaccinated

    2) Doses

    3) Population

     

     

    California

     
     
     

    17m

    24.9m

    39.5m

  • Texas

     
     
     

    10.1m

    17.8m

    29m

  • Florida

     
     
     

    8.2m

    13.2m

    21.5m

  • New York State

     
     
     

    9m

    12.1m

    19.5m

  • Pennsylvania

     
     
     

    5.5m

    7.6m

    12.8m

 

 

Facts, darn it.  Spoils everything.  😉

 

As many have also done, realize that sometimes it's just not worth even engaging.  WOT and not really about cruising.  🚢

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...