Jump to content

LIVE Virtuosa 05/06/21 the first 7 night sailing.


kernow
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's finally here! We board Virtuosa tomorrow for 7 nights so I can officially start this thread😁.

 

I'm Julie, DH is Mark, we're a mid 50s couple who normally try to cruise a couple of times a year. Our favourite cruise line is RCL but we've always cruised other lines too and have tried most of the mainstream ones. We've done 2 previous MSC cruises, Musica in 2016 and Magnifica in 2018 and really enjoyed both so it will be nice to try one of the bigger ships. Our last cruise was on Jewel of the Seas in Feb 2020, the pandemic was just starting and little did we know as we left that ship what was to come.

There have been times this last year when it's felt like stepping onto a cruise ship was something we did in another lifetime and we are so excited to be doing it again tomorrow. I want to say a massive thank you to all those who have posted thoughts, info, pics and videos in the last 2 weeks since Virtuosa began sailing, it's made our build up even better!

 

We booked this cruise on the day it was released when it was a 4 night sailing starting on Tue 8th June. A couple of weeks later we heard from MSC that it was now going to be a 7 night starting on 5th June and we could transfer to that for no extra charge. A great result especially as 6th June is our wedding anniversary. The Bella balcony that we had booked went to a guarantee which was assigned to a cabin on deck 8. A week ago it changed to guarantee again and last Tuesday it was re assigned to a Fantastica cabin on deck 11. Then yesterday we had an email to say our bid for a YC inside had been successful so now (hopefully finally) we have a cabin on deck 16, can't wait to try YC.

 

We are about a 3.5 hour drive from Southampton so we are starting out early tomorrow morning hoping to get ahead of the traffic, Cornwall has been manic this week.

 

We're not planning on getting off the ship at all so I'll try to  post regularly. Happy to try to find answers to any questions anyone still has,

 

Julie

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, kernow said:

It's finally here! We board Virtuosa tomorrow for 7 nights so I can officially start this thread😁.

 

I'm Julie, DH is Mark, we're a mid 50s couple who normally try to cruise a couple of times a year. Our favourite cruise line is RCL but we've always cruised other lines too and have tried most of the mainstream ones. We've done 2 previous MSC cruises, Musica in 2016 and Magnifica in 2018 and really enjoyed both so it will be nice to try one of the bigger ships. Our last cruise was on Jewel of the Seas in Feb 2020, the pandemic was just starting and little did we know as we left that ship what was to come.

There have been times this last year when it's felt like stepping onto a cruise ship was something we did in another lifetime and we are so excited to be doing it again tomorrow. I want to say a massive thank you to all those who have posted thoughts, info, pics and videos in the last 2 weeks since Virtuosa began sailing, it's made our build up even better!

 

We booked this cruise on the day it was released when it was a 4 night sailing starting on Tue 8th June. A couple of weeks later we heard from MSC that it was now going to be a 7 night starting on 5th June and we could transfer to that for no extra charge. A great result especially as 6th June is our wedding anniversary. The Bella balcony that we had booked went to a guarantee which was assigned to a cabin on deck 8. A week ago it changed to guarantee again and last Tuesday it was re assigned to a Fantastica cabin on deck 11. Then yesterday we had an email to say our bid for a YC inside had been successful so now (hopefully finally) we have a cabin on deck 16, can't wait to try YC.

 

We are about a 3.5 hour drive from Southampton so we are starting out early tomorrow morning hoping to get ahead of the traffic, Cornwall has been manic this week.

 

We're not planning on getting off the ship at all so I'll try to  post regularly. Happy to try to find answers to any questions anyone still has,

 

Julie

Hi Julie, what time did u get as your boarding time ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

Hi Julie, what time did u get as your boarding time ? 

We've had 3 different ones 11am, 12.20 and 3pm, each getting progressively later as the cabin changed! The only tickets I've been able to print are the first ones so we're going at 11am😀.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

How many days before your sail date did you get your timings ? 

I think it was 2 or 3 weeks ago when the tickets became available to print.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be interesting to hear if they switch back to the Large chocolate ship instead of the Small White ones they have been giving out. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sidari said:

Be interesting to hear if they switch back to the Large chocolate ship instead of the Small White ones they have been giving out. 

I really hope they have the chocolate ships, my kids will love them (so will I 😂)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, kernow said:

We've had 3 different ones 11am, 12.20 and 3pm, each getting progressively later as the cabin changed! The only tickets I've been able to print are the first ones so we're going at 11am😀.

I’m keeping fingers crossed we get 11am. Getting 3pm is missing the first day which is a shame. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, kernow said:

....We're not planning on getting off the ship at all so I'll try to  post regularly. Happy to try to find answers to any questions anyone still has,

 

Julie

That is my dream type of cruise....unfortunately DW decrees we get off the ship every port, although I do enjoy that mostly.

 

Hope you have a fab time, and I look forward to your opinion of YC.

Edited by hamrag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can anyone who is on Virtuosa atm tell me if deck 9 is in use. I know it hasn’t been on the first few 4N cruises but I’m wondering if they’ve now opened it up. We’re sailing on her again next month and I’m trying to decide whether to move my cabin on deck 9 now while there is still some cabins left in decent positions on higher decks. On our 24th May sailing MSC reallocated our carefully chosen cabin on deck 9 to one very near the stern on deck 12 a week prior to departure and I’m trying to avoid this situation again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're onboard!

Loving YC already, we arrived at the car park at 10.30,  were being escorted into the ship at 11.15. Just having a look around now. First impressions of everything are fantastic.

20210605_103052.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Straighten your glasses man !! lol

 

You won't get back in YC with wonky glasses.


You crack me up, I love reading your hilarious comments 🤣🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Actually - I think we should set kernow a challenge - to see how many places on the ship he can get a photo with his wonky glasses - and extra credit if he manages to get a crew member in the pic too - and huge praise if crew member has lapel stripes lol

 

OK, yes I am bored lol

 

.

 

Edited by Couple-Somerset
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Actually - I think we should set kernow a challenge - to see how many places on the ship he can get a photo with his wonky glasses - and extra credit if he manages to get a crew member in the pic too - and huge praise if crew member has lapel stripes lol

 

OK, yes I am bored lol

 

.

 

When Mark has had a drink I'm sure he will oblige. Photos may follow throughout the week😀

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers! Our first cocktails in the sunshine. This is certainly a beautiful ship, love this aft pool area. 

Apparently there are only 700 boarding today with more getting on in Liverpool on Tuesday.

20210605_151435.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Can anyone who is on Virtuosa atm tell me if deck 9 is in use. I know it hasn’t been on the first few 4N cruises but I’m wondering if they’ve now opened it up. We’re sailing on her again next month and I’m trying to decide whether to move my cabin on deck 9 now while there is still some cabins left in decent positions on higher decks. On our 24th May sailing MSC reallocated our carefully chosen cabin on deck 9 to one very near the stern on deck 12 a week prior to departure and I’m trying to avoid this situation again.

I asked and there are some cabins on deck 9 in use. I'll try and go down there at some point to see if part of it is closed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kernow said:

I asked and there are some cabins on deck 9 in use. I'll try and go down there at some point to see if part of it is closed. 


Thank you so much. You don’t need to go down there though as the corridors are open even if the cabins are not in use, at least they were on our sailing as we walked up and down both port and starboard sides.
 

I know the last thing you want to think about during your first day onboard is getting off again 🙈 but if it’s not too much trouble, could you possibly post a pic of the disembarkation schedule after you return home. This will tell me exactly which cabins were open. 
 

Have a fabulous cruise, hope this glorious weather keeps up for you 😎

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to reading - We just got home from our 4 days! I think we left the ship in OK condition but our bar bill (if they hadn't been complimentary via Premium Plus) was outrageous 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope you have an amazing time! We're on board in a few weeks cannot wait. If at all possible would be great if you could upload the PDF main dining room menus from the MSC app? Someone's already uploaded everything else but as it's the first 7 nighter there's a few MDR menus not yet shared ☺ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kernow said:

Cheers! Our first cocktails in the sunshine. This is certainly a beautiful ship, love this aft pool area. 

Apparently there are only 700 boarding today with more getting on in Liverpool on Tuesday.

20210605_151435.jpg


You said more are boarding in Liverpool.  Can I ask if there are some people boarding in Greenock when you call there on the 9th as well?    Those drinks look lovely,

 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...