LIVE Virtuosa 05/06/21 the first 7 night sailing.

kernow

5 hours ago, kernow said:

I think they were bussed to Liverpool. Not sure what the plan is for future cruises.

What happens to passages who live in Scotland and travel to Liverpool to cruise. Will their insurance still be valid? Are they travelling against SG advice? I’m sure recently my Insurance company read me my conditions and told me I was only covered if not travelling against government advice or something like that. I just wondered. 

8 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

What happens to passages who live in Scotland and travel to Liverpool to cruise. Will their insurance still be valid? Are they travelling against SG advice? I’m sure recently my Insurance company read me my conditions and told me I was only covered if not travelling against government advice or something like that. I just wondered. 

I have no idea about that, perhaps someone in Scotland can answer. I would guess that they are OK as they are allowed to travel to the rest of the UK which is what these cruises count as.

7 minutes ago, kernow said:

I have no idea about that, perhaps someone in Scotland can answer. I would guess that they are OK as they are allowed to travel to the rest of the UK which is what these cruises count as.

Yes, I guess no more than a local boat trip really but much, much better! 🤗

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kernow said:

We are covered, our insurance is valid for trips/cruise in the UK, we aren't going against the Scottish Government rules, they just won't let cruise ships dock in Scotland but it's okay for us to travel to any port in England, makes no sense at all 😭

Edited by NightWoman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kernow said:

Kernow - do you know roughly what cabins Mary looks after? I keep seeing a lot of good reports

4 minutes ago, zjc said:

Kernow - do you know roughly what cabins Mary looks after? I keep seeing a lot of good reports

We were on deck 16, and Mary told us she (and Francis her assistant) had 7 cabins. I don't know if they keep the same areas every week. I think all the butlers were good, we also really liked Kevin and Mo. Mo became a bit of a celebrity on our cruise because he was John Bishop's butler and was praised by him in his show.

4 minutes ago, kernow said:

We were on deck 16, and Mary told us she (and Francis her assistant) had 7 cabins. I don't know if they keep the same areas every week. I think all the butlers were good, we also really liked Kevin and Mo. Mo became a bit of a celebrity on our cruise because he was John Bishop's butler and was praised by him in his show.

We’re u in a suite ? Was this yc ? 

1 minute ago, wirral36 said:

We’re u in a suite ? Was this yc ? 

Yes, YC. All the cabins (suites as they call them) get a butler.

Hello

Another MSC newbie query!

On my  4 day July cruise I have been told there will be one formal night. Are the formal nights adhered to? I do not want to pack my dinner suit to find that I am the only one wearing one! 

I went on a Holland America Alaska Cruise a few years ago and found that I was very much in the minority wearing a dinner suit. Indeed the cabin steward had to control his surprise when he saw me leaving for dinner. 

Thanks again 

Just now, Enjoyacruise said:

Hello

Another MSC newbie query!

On my  4 day July cruise I have been told there will be one formal night. Are the formal nights adhered to? I do not want to pack my dinner suit to find that I am the only one wearing one! 

I went on a Holland America Alaska Cruise a few years ago and found that I was very much in the minority wearing a dinner suit. Indeed the cabin steward had to control his surprise when he saw me leaving for dinner. 

Thanks again 

On a 4N you will always get fewer people dress up - its viewed more as a party / chill cruise.

On the inaugural 4N there were around 50%-60% that did the jacket/tie and perhaps 5% who went full on with bow tie. I didn't see any in the (mostly empty) MDR in shorts but I'm sure there would have been a couple.

• Thanks 1

On our 7 night there were two formals, for the first one a lot dressed up, the second one not so many. We dressed up for both as it was nice to be able to after being stuck at home for so long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thinking of booking the 10th July cruise from Southampton. I know protocol is constantly changing but can someone please confirm what we need to do to board the ship. 

2 x fully vaccinated adults

1 15 year old child 

I know we need to have special COVID insurance but does my daughter need to have a PCR test 72 hours before boarding? Do we need to get COVID tested before boarding? Just want to know what we need to do so I can work out the cost before I book. Thanks for your help.

BTW - never sailed on MSC before and haven't heard great things so a bit nervous all around.

13 minutes ago, American_in_York said:

Thinking of booking the 10th July cruise from Southampton. I know protocol is constantly changing but can someone please confirm what we need to do to board the ship. 

2 x fully vaccinated adults

1 15 year old child 

I know we need to have special COVID insurance but does my daughter need to have a PCR test 72 hours before boarding? Do we need to get COVID tested before boarding? Just want to know what we need to do so I can work out the cost before I book. Thanks for your help.

BTW - never sailed on MSC before and haven't heard great things so a bit nervous all around.

2 adults just need to show proof of vaccination and no test, 15 year old needs proof of negative test 72 hours before sailing(you can use the self test NHS one). You will all be tested at the terminal before boarding.No extra cost at all.

We really enjoyed the cruise as did most of the other people we spoke with onboard. There seems to be lots of other positive reports on here too, where are you hearing bad things?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kernow said:

2 adults just need to show proof of vaccination and no test, 15 year old needs proof of negative test 72 hours before sailing(you can use the self test NHS one). You will all be tested at the terminal before boarding.No extra cost at all.

We really enjoyed the cruise as did most of the other people we spoke with onboard. There seems to be lots of other positive reports on here too, where are you hearing bad things?

Thanks for getting back to me.

We had friends go on MSC from Italy a few years ago and they said the food and service wasn't great. This has kind of tainted my view of them. We are going on Celebrity around the UK in August but for the price of the MSC cruise I think we might give it a go. 

I was quoted for a B2 cabin. Any suggestions on the best deck?

9 hours ago, American_in_York said:

Thanks for getting back to me.

We had friends go on MSC from Italy a few years ago and they said the food and service wasn't great. This has kind of tainted my view of them. We are going on Celebrity around the UK in August but for the price of the MSC cruise I think we might give it a go. 

I was quoted for a B2 cabin. Any suggestions on the best deck?

These cruises are very different than the ones from Italy, everything is in English and aimed more at British taste. Food is probably a notch down from Celebrity but the service was fantastic.

Personally I would avoid deck 14- the overhang is massive (I posted pics somewhere). Deck 8 has larger balconies but they are slightly obstructed by the lifeboats. On these cruises many of us have not ended up in the original cabin, they are moving people around quite a bit with so many empty cabins.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kernow said:

These cruises are very different than the ones from Italy, everything is in English and aimed more at British taste. Food is probably a notch down from Celebrity but the service was fantastic.

Personally I would avoid deck 14- the overhang is massive (I posted pics somewhere). Deck 8 has larger balconies but they are slightly obstructed by the lifeboats. On these cruises many of us have not ended up in the original cabin, they are moving people around quite a bit with so many empty cabins.

Just found out we have had a cabin move for Saturday. Had a lovely large balcony on deck 11 in a quiet area away from the lifts. Now a standard balcony right opposite the lifts on deck 10. Not impressed at all especially as no explanation given. It will be for operational reasons to make things easier for MSC - learning Fantastica experience does not guarantee you the cabin you book. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Just found out we have had a cabin move for Saturday. Had a lovely large balcony on deck 11 in a quiet area away from the lifts. Now a standard balcony right opposite the lifts on deck 10. Not impressed at all especially as no explanation given. It will be for operational reasons to make things easier for MSC - learning Fantastica experience does not guarantee you the cabin you book. 

Happened to us on our 24th May sailing. Had a carefully chosen Fantastica balcony midship on deck 9 only to be moved a few days before departure to very near the stern on deck 12. I was not happy! 😡

Edited by CaroleC

46 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

We’ve had lots of cabins near the lifts but still never heard them or noise from them. Hopefully you’ll just find it convenient be near them. Nice and easy to find too rather than walking down endless corridors! Have a fab cruise and keep us posted if you can! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Happened to us on our 24th May sailing. Had a carefully chosen Fantastica balcony midship on deck 9 only to be moved a few days before departure to very near the stern on deck 12. I was not happy! 😡

Was it as bad as you thought Carole or was the cabin position ok?

17 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Was it as bad as you thought Carole or was the cabin position ok?

Well, it was certainly a lot further from the lifts than my original cabin, however as my husband pointed out, just meant we could eat more! 😂. The best thing about it was it was really quiet, I’m not even sure there was anyone actually in the cabins past ours. As a result, we slept like logs 😴😁

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

We’ve had lots of cabins near the lifts but still never heard them or noise from them. Hopefully you’ll just find it convenient be near them. Nice and easy to find too rather than walking down endless corridors! Have a fab cruise and keep us posted if you can! 

That is worth knowing. 🤩

I have had some bad experiences in hotels being near lifts, either hearing the motors through the walls (I always request a high floor), the Bing-Bong as they arrive all night or rowdy people falling out of them.
For this reason I have always avoided the lifts location so your experience is worth knowing.

I tend to select a room at the stern or bow where there is little through traffic, I know people say you get more movement but I don't think modern ships suffer this much.

On our last MSC, on the last night we had a late checkout and left the do-no-disturb sign on which just encouraged kids to bang on the door and run.

It was a busy corridor and in fairness it was only on departure day we had the problem, only day we turned on the do-not-disturb light too 🤔

I also tend to avoid interconnecting doors.

Just now, ziggyuk said:

encouraged kids to bang on the door and run.

ah knock-n-run

my wife and I enjoyed doing that on our honeymoon 30 years ago - we'd booked in to a Pontins in Jersey (long gone now) and it was full of older people. you could do around 20 doors before anyone managed to open one lol

we did it on a Royal Caribbean ship too around 5 years ago - we were both in our late-40s hahaha - once a kid always a kid lol

SORRY (tee-hee not really)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

ah knock-n-run

my wife and I enjoyed doing that on our honeymoon 30 years ago - we'd booked in to a Pontins in Jersey (long gone now) and it was full of older people. you could do around 20 doors before anyone managed to open one lol

we did it on a Royal Caribbean ship too around 5 years ago - we were both in our late-40s hahaha - once a kid always a kid lol

SORRY (tee-hee not really)

What?!? Are you serious!?!? 🤪

Playing ‘Knock out Ginger’ at your age?!?!

Well! Really! 
(haven’t tried that since I was a kid! We used to walk past someone’s house after school, that came directly onto a pavement and it had a notice on it saying “Please Knock the door Loudly” so we did….every time we walked past it! )

It never occurred to me that people would do that as adults!

What I AM tempted to do is alter peoples breakfast requests hanging on their cabin door -so they get it delivered at 6am not 10am! 😇🤣

3 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Well, it was certainly a lot further from the lifts than my original cabin, however as my husband pointed out, just meant we could eat more! 😂. The best thing about it was it was really quiet, I’m not even sure there was anyone actually in the cabins past ours. As a result, we slept like logs 😴😁

We have always slept well and had quiet rooms on ships. Only once we were upgraded to a cabin below the sports deck and we heard squeak squeak squeak. Not mice but peoples ‘trainers’ on the floor of basketball pitch above us!! Took us a while to work out what it was. As the upgrade was free and from inside to balcony we just felt glad to have had the bigger room.

• Like 1