Jump to content

LIVE Virtuosa 05/06/21 the first 7 night sailing.


kernow
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi that cabin you said you wouldn't choose are you referring to the one at the top? It looks so dark up there. The only reason I'm asking is we've booked 13235 on 3rd July for the Balcony space which looks like that but looking at that I may now change our cabin. Was this towards the back of the ship. We like our cabins at the back or at front. Its good to see ship photos in real time. Thank you 😊

Yes I meant the one at the top.

 

Here is 13235, it does look a bit dark.

20210609_121731.jpg

20210609_122006.jpg

20210609_122036.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, little britain said:

£69.93 on board for 7n access ( lowest level).  I had actually prepurchased but it wasn’t working so I had to rebuy and then they credited it back. 

 

Thanks, guess I'll pre-order then

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kernow said:

Here is 13235, it does look a bit dark.

 

 

That's the cabin we were due to be in if the upgrade hadn't been accepted - it would have suited us OK but can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. Happy with it for our one in July if our bids for that one don't come through.

 

Am I right in thinking YC comes with the basic Wifi package?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Wedgeh said:

 

That's the cabin we were due to be in if the upgrade hadn't been accepted - it would have suited us OK but can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. Happy with it for our one in July if our bids for that one don't come through.

 

Am I right in thinking YC comes with the basic Wifi package?

YC comes with 2 device browse package per person. 

The internet speed is great all over the ship, much better than our last RCL cruise.

Are you on next week? The concierge was sorting out the paperwork for next weeks upgrades yesterday.

Edited by kernow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, little britain said:

£69.93 on board for 7n access ( lowest level).  I had actually prepurchased but it wasn’t working so I had to rebuy and then they credited it back. 

 

Thanks a lot for that information.  Does that mean if you are only on for 5 nights you would have to pay the same, or is that the cheapest package coverage for the length of your cruise (7 nights), with access for perhaps more devices costing more.

 

We are only on the ship for 5 nights.

 

Also, is there  much difference in price if pre buy?

 

Edited by tring
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kernow said:

YC comes with 2 device browse package per person. 

The internet speed is great all over the ship, much better than our last RCL cruise.

Are you on next week? The concierge was sorting out the paperwork for next weeks upgrades yesterday.

Yes we'll be joining the ship at the weekend, glad to hear they're getting prepped for us already 😁 Your posts have been very helpful with getting us excited, though not helping this work week to pass quickly enough!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spoke to MSC (got through really quickly .. in fact I nearly choked on a grape not expecting them to answer that fast).   As expected, being a bit reticent about it all.   However, they are waiting on a directive from "head office".   Emails will be sent out directly to affected passengers who booked directly through MSC, and via their travel agent if that way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I spoke to MSC (got through really quickly .. in fact I nearly choked on a grape not expecting them to answer that fast).   As expected, being a bit reticent about it all.   However, they are waiting on a directive from "head office".   Emails will be sent out directly to affected passengers who booked directly through MSC, and via their travel agent if that way.

 

Thanks.  Did you just ask about cruises which will be after the  23rd June, (when they appear to have already cancelled Greenock) or ones before that date.  Will not affect us as Greenock not on our itinerary, but will be interesting to see how cruise lines respond in general.

 

We have still not had our passenger info form for Tradewinds, but were promised it last week.  Think I may send them a message on FB to ask if they are thinking of making any changes, but no point hassling then for a few days yet as they would not know.  I would at least expect a plan B to have been in place previously anyway, though a lack of the scenic cruising that Scotland would provides is a very sad loss for them. 

Edited by tring
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, tring said:

 

Thanks.  Did you just ask about cruises which will be after the  23rd June, (when they appear to have already cancelled Greenock) or ones before that date.  Will not affect us as Greenock not on our itinerary, but will be interesting to see how cruise lines respond in general.

 

We have still not had our passenger info form for Tradewinds, but were promised it last week.  Think I may send them a message on FB to ask if they are thinking of making any changes, but no point hassling then for a few days yet as they would not know.  I would at least expect a plan B to have been in place previously anyway, though a lack of the scenic cruising that Scotland would provides is a very sad loss for them. 

 

I asked about Greenock / Scotland in general.   Like the public, they say they first heard about this yesterday afternoon, and into the evening.   While I don't doubt MSC must have had a bit of an idea about this, because there have been multiple industry meetings with the Scottish Government, it does seem to have broadsided them .. at least that's the overall impression I got.

 

I'm expected Golden Horizon into Edinburgh at the beginning of July for embarkation of the Edinburgh - Greenock sector of the round UK.   Should I hear anything before then, or is publicly announced, I will let you know.   She looks a lovely ship ... we get a few masted vessels into our port, the most frequent visitor being Sea Cloud II.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

 

I asked about Greenock / Scotland in general.   Like the public, they say they first heard about this yesterday afternoon, and into the evening.   While I don't doubt MSC must have had a bit of an idea about this, because there have been multiple industry meetings with the Scottish Government, it does seem to have broadsided them .. at least that's the overall impression I got.

 

I'm expected Golden Horizon into Edinburgh at the beginning of July for embarkation of the Edinburgh - Greenock sector of the round UK.   Should I hear anything before then, or is publicly announced, I will let you know.   She looks a lovely ship ... we get a few masted vessels into our port, the most frequent visitor being Sea Cloud II.

 

Whilst Fred had told me on Monday they have had no clarification, I did get the impression the SG have been totally unclear with their intentions, and possibly had no idea themselves what they were going to do.  SG could have made yesterday's criteria decision long ago, or at least said no cruises until a certain date/stage of relaxation.  Sounds like  complete lack of clarity on both sides though as I doubt MSC had anything definite if Fred does not for later dates.  Cancellation until 23rd, is still pretty near for MSC so they could cut their losses and not go there at all this summer.  Only time will tell.

 

We would be very grateful regards any info re Golden Horizon.  Thank you very much.

Edited by tring
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We went for lunch in the Blue Danube (MDR). We thought the food was nice, I had Chicken Parmesan and Mark had the vegetable curry. While it's not as fancy as the YC restaurant the service was excellent too and we enjoyed it.

 

We then went up to use our Fun Pass again. This time we did 30 minutes bowling, it was enough time to play one and a half games.

received_807166213249300.jpeg

20210609_152431.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tring said:

 

Thanks a lot for that information.  Does that mean if you are only on for 5 nights you would have to pay the same, or is that the cheapest package coverage for the length of your cruise (7 nights), with access for perhaps more devices costing more.

 

We are only on the ship for 5 nights.

 

Also, is there  much difference in price if pre buy?

 

No that is the price for 7 nights (it was around £50 to pre purchase), yours will be less.

 

A 2 device package onboard for this cruise was £111.86.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A question for Kernow (or any others who have already sailed on Virtuosa) if that’s OK?

 

Our favourite cruise so far was on NCL’s Getaway for a number of reasons including the excellent outside space / walking deck (7 I think) which has lots of outside bars / restaurant seating and the ability to walk almost all the way around the entire deck. We loved the ability to be outside relaxing (and walking). Is there anything similar? Not a jogging or walking track in itself as I imagine one of those exists but more an outside entertainment / walking space?

 

thanks so much 🙂

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Miffy2003 said:

A question for Kernow (or any others who have already sailed on Virtuosa) if that’s OK?

 

Our favourite cruise so far was on NCL’s Getaway for a number of reasons including the excellent outside space / walking deck (7 I think) which has lots of outside bars / restaurant seating and the ability to walk almost all the way around the entire deck. We loved the ability to be outside relaxing (and walking). Is there anything similar? Not a jogging or walking track in itself as I imagine one of those exists but more an outside entertainment / walking space?

 

thanks so much 🙂

 

 

No nothing like that. A very short 'promenade' on deck 7 which was where I took the pics that I posted this morning. The lifeboats obscure most of the views. Then the outside upper decks which are similar to most ships.The back half of the ship has a nice track which is .2 of a mile. 

 

I do love the main pool area though, I think it is one of the most stylish cruise ship pools I've seen. The small aft pool area is also nice with stepped seating up to the Horizon bar. You cannot get round to the front of the ship at all unless you have YC access.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:


We have been allocated this one (assuming we get on!), any thoughts anyone?:

 

 

A96209CA-56B8-42E4-9E13-682A6E55E8B4.jpeg

Are you talking about the one that juts out. If so I think it would be fine as it's not under the overhang and will have a nice view down the side of the ship.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kernow said:

Are you talking about the one that juts out. If so I think it would be fine as it's not under the overhang and will have a nice view down the side of the ship.

 
Yes 😊 Thank you!

 

Have finally received offer to bid for upgrade - starting at $245 for YC interior. I’d love to try it but husband thinks it will be too posh for us 🤣 And isn’t keen on giving up a balcony…I may persuade him to try yet!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Malibustacey79 said:

 
Yes 😊 Thank you!

 

Have finally received offer to bid for upgrade - starting at $245 for YC interior. I’d love to try it but husband thinks it will be too posh for us 🤣 And isn’t keen on giving up a balcony…I may persuade him to try yet!!

I was worried about giving up a balcony too but having experienced YC I'd do it again in a heartbeat for this type of cruise (maybe not in the Caribbean but would consider paying for a YC balcony now).

I wouldn't worry about it being too posh, it's not at all stuffy and the staff are lovely and friendly. At the moment most of the other passengers have done the upgrade too!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kernow said:

I was worried about giving up a balcony too but having experienced YC I'd do it again in a heartbeat for this type of cruise (maybe not in the Caribbean but would consider paying for a YC balcony now).

I wouldn't worry about it being too posh, it's not at all stuffy and the staff are lovely and friendly. At the moment most of the other passengers have done the upgrade too!


Interesting, thank you for your reply. What is the main pull - is it the level of service? Or better facilities? Or something else?

 

Our first Celebrity cruise we were concierge level and practically hid from the poor fella for ten days…we’re just not the type of people that ask for things! I wish we were sometimes TBH. But better amenities/menus etc is something I can get behind. 
 

Thank you for taking the time to answer during your cruise 😊 I’m desperately hoping we can board somewhere different next week and take advantage of all the helpful info. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

 
Yes 😊 Thank you!

 

Have finally received offer to bid for upgrade - starting at $245 for YC interior. I’d love to try it but husband thinks it will be too posh for us 🤣 And isn’t keen on giving up a balcony…I may persuade him to try yet!!


On our recent sailing we had the cabin underneath the one you’ve been allocated. We really liked it, great views as it is not under the overhang and it was very quiet. The only thing I didn’t love was the distance from the lifts but my hubby claimed it just meant we could eat more 😂. In all honesty, it wasn’t as far as I thought it was going to be but it could be a problem for anyone with walking difficulties. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CaroleC said:


On our recent sailing we had the cabin underneath the one you’ve been allocated. We really liked it, great views as it is not under the overhang and it was very quiet. The only thing I didn’t love was the distance from the lifts but my hubby claimed it just meant we could eat more 😂. In all honesty, it wasn’t as far as I thought it was going to be but it could be a problem for anyone with walking difficulties. 


Thanks Carole 😊 We are mere spring chickens of 40 and 42 and one of us is a triathlete (hint: it’s not me) so a few more steps shouldn’t cause a problem… Not for the first few nights at least 🤣 Glad to hear you enjoyed the cabin, hopefully we will too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CaroleC said:


Is the one at the top not deck 14?

I'm hoping so as I know deck 14 has cabins on and that looks like deck 14. So the one on deck 13 might not be as bad or so dark. So we are going to stick with our cabin and hope for the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:


Thanks Carole 😊 We are mere spring chickens of 40 and 42 and one of us is a triathlete (hint: it’s not me) so a few more steps shouldn’t cause a problem… Not for the first few nights at least 🤣 Glad to hear you enjoyed the cabin, hopefully we will too!


Oh you’re youngsters then lol. No, you definitely won’t have problems with the distance. As I mentioned, our cabin was really quiet. I think it helps that you’ve only got one immediate neighbour as the other side is the first cabin under the overhang so it’s the balcony that is actually next door to you. 
 

Have a wonderful cruise 😎

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...