Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Have Seabourn announced  what covid restrictions will apply when they start again in a months time. I hope they have told those on the first Athens cruise by now ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalliowner,

 

We are on board in a month but have not been advised what is what re restrictions etc beyond our checkin time. It’s just too early to finalize, I suppose. Nor has the passenger contract been finalized. The Seabourn.com site is underwhelming technically, by the way, and as usual. Data is missing or conflicting with what we have been told by our TA. Thank goodness we have a patient and resourceful TA to help soothe my feathers.

 

Time will tell.

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dalliowner said:

Have Seabourn announced  what covid restrictions will apply when they start again in a months time. I hope they have told those on the first Athens cruise by now ?

Haven't heard a peep.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the 7/10 sailing and are still waiting for the Seabourn contract.   Other than that we are checked in and have printed our luggage tags and have digital boarding passes.    Right now Greece does not require a negative COVID test if you have been completely vaccinated at least two weeks before and no more than six months before you depart.   Looks like our vaccinations may only be good for six months so I hope we can get a booster before our next trip.   Our flight from DC goes through Germany so we have to meet their requirements as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markham said:

Dalliowner,

 

We are on board in a month but have not been advised what is what re restrictions etc beyond our checkin time. It’s just too early to finalize, I suppose. Nor has the passenger contract been finalized. . Thank goodness we have a patient and resourceful TA to help soothe my feathers.

 

Time will tell.

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Markham, What exactly is included in a passenger contract?  

 

I hope you know how excited I am about your trip.  You would think I was going myself!!  I have high hopes that all will go well and a great time will be had by all!  Mr. SLSD and I are looking at next year's itineraries.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

   Right now Greece does not require a negative COVID test if you have been completely vaccinated at least two weeks before and no more than six months before you depart.   Looks like our vaccinations may only be good for six months so I hope we can get a booster before our next trip.   Our flight from DC goes through Germany so we have to meet their requirements as well.

I will be at the 6 month line for my vaccination in late June.  No boosters have been offered yet.  That presents a bit of an issue.  I suppose that would mean that I would have to have a Covid test.  Not a big deal I supposed.  I DO think our vaccines are going to last longer than six months.  From what I have read, research shows that they are good for AT LEAST six months and possibly much much longer.  I hope all goes smoothly for everyone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SLSD and @Covepointcruiser  No one is offering booster shots yet. They have not yet been recommended or approved. The six month timeframe is simply what has been determined to be the minimum effective time for the vaccines. Most of the medical world seems to think the vaccines will be good for at least a year, possibly 18 months or two years. No one can answer yet because the earliest people who received the test vaccines last year are just at about the one year mark. There are lots of tracking studies working to determine if, or more likely when, boosters will be needed. I expect countries will update their time frames as more time passes and the medical authorities agree on the expanded time frame for the vaccines. Hopefully!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@SLSD and @Covepointcruiser  No one is offering booster shots yet. They have not yet been recommended or approved. The six month timeframe is simply what has been determined to be the minimum effective time for the vaccines. Most of the medical world seems to think the vaccines will be good for at least a year, possibly 18 months or two years. No one can answer yet because the earliest people who received the test vaccines last year are just at about the one year mark. There are lots of tracking studies working to determine if, or more likely when, boosters will be needed. I expect countries will update their time frames as more time passes and the medical authorities agree on the expanded time frame for the vaccines. Hopefully!

Yes, this is what I have read.  But, my point is that many who have been vaccinated will be past the 6 month point when they cruise--and will have to go through the testing regimen if required by a particular country.  The CEO of Pfizer has said that he thinks a booster will be necessary.  Still so many unknowns.  AND, so many who are not vaccinated at all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

SLSD,

 

I don’t recall what is in the contract but now it must differ and that’s partly why I want to see it sooner rather than later. The main reason is you cannot get your e-pass until you sign it off which now is not possible. Not sure why. Is it still being updated or something technical or both?

 

We find Seabourn’s technology awful no matter what device we use via Microsoft or Apple for this website. Their app is for the e-pass only, believe it or not, since you cannot easily update passports etc on the “booking details”. We finally did so using Microsoft. Initially when we used Apple the site said “passport details on file” with a green tick but when we looked on the area with Microsoft the passport section showed “incomplete” with a red tick. Waste of time and irritating. Our terrific TA says they will contact Seabourn to get an update on Monday… 

 

BTW, after the Ovation we move next day to the Silver Moon for 10 days around Greece. We are going see some ports 3 times during the 24 days but we don’t care. In some, and depending on what is feasible and suits us we many other leave the ship. I mention this because the Silversea site is super -functional and dependable. I knew it would be when I saw how I could upload our vaccination certificates. It is fully integrated with passenger details, tours, restaurant bookings and an easy to navigate calendar system showing everything you are doing by day. Seabourn’s appears to be a patchwork of functions under a sales platform, and always shows “we are experiencing problems, call for help”. Of course, we know this has been the case for year. Surely Seabourn must do better.


I hope to see you on a cruise sooner rather than later. Basta with these hassles and interruptions!

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, markham said:

SLSD,

 

I don’t recall what is in the contract but now it must differ and that’s partly why I want to see it sooner rather than later. 

 

BTW, after the Ovation we move next day to the Silver Moon for 10 days around Greece. We are going see some ports 3 times during the 24 days but we don’t care. 


I hope to see you on a cruise sooner rather than later. Basta with these hassles and interruptions!

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

 

We don't remember what the contract entails either--will be glad to know what is involved  when you finally get it. 

Such a smart move to go from the Ovation to the Silver Moon.  I would do the same thing given the opportunity.  Seeing some ports three times sounds just fine to me.  

 

We will definitely see you on a cruise someday.  Once things normalize a bit, we plan to enjoy cruising again and go more often while we are young enough to do so.  At the present time, we are waiting due to uncertainties and the hassles.  

 

We have sailed Silversea, but it was quite a few years ago.  I remember that you didn't care for one of the older ships (?), but  you have been on Silver Moon before as well and liked it?  

 

We  prefer  Seabourn a bit more than our long ago Silver Sea cruise (which was Greek Islands), but that was so long ago--15 years at least.  Looking forward to all of your reports.  

 

 

 

 

Edited by SLSD
Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a good memory of our talk 2 years ago at least! Yes, I did not find Whisper at all comparable to the Ody class ships and I found the expo-ish ship Cloud had even less to like. Why? Too small, old, tired and drafty. What Muse and the new Moon have are modern and generous interiors like Encore but the pool and walking area much larger. I love the food choices. But the CD and entertainment side of things are less to my style- lower standard than the “all-in”, super engaging and confident Seabourn product. 
 

This BTB will delightful as we are so keen to get back to sea and try the newish Ovation and month old Moon. In wonderful Greece!

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Markham,

I'm going to have a look at the SS Moon and what it offers.

I would be very interested in your thoughts on your return from the sea of tranquillity.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, markham said:

 What Muse and the new Moon have are modern and generous interiors like Encore but the pool and walking area much larger. I love the food choices. But the CD and entertainment side of things are less to my style- lower standard than the “all-in”, super engaging and confident Seabourn product. 
 

This BTB will delightful as we are so keen to get back to sea and try the newish Ovation and month old Moon. In wonderful Greece!

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

That's exactly what I didn't care for on our long ago Silversea cruise---the entertainment was rather lacking and the Cruise Director almost non existent! I have enjoyed meeting the young entertainers on SB and of course the CDs are sometimes an absolute highlight (thinking of Handre and Ross).   I did like the food on Silversea.  In fact, at the time we sailed , they had a "spa choice" entree/plate every night in the dining room.  I chose it every night and was never disappointed, deprived, or envious of what others were eating.  I gained not an ounce on that trip!  Sadly, friends who have sailed SS since, told me that there is no longer a spa choice.  

 

I do like the idea of more walking space on deck.  That would be very enjoyable. 

 

Did you find dress expectations to be comparable to those of Seabourn.  I've been to the website and it IS much more user friendly.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

SLSD,

 

I will have plenty to say in reviews that I intend to post after both cruises. But for now, I can talk about our Muse Cruise of Feb 2019 out of Sydney. The dress code and practice was similar to Seabourn but did not distract me as I always wore a jacket at dinner. One difference may have been the large mid-ship bar Dolce Vita required that men wear jackets and this was enforced after 18:00. The Obs Bar on Seabourn after 18:00 can look like the Sky Bar dress-wise…. The same expectation we’re in place in the Atlantide, the large Continental dining room- where, incidentally, the food was always superb. Maybe the Silversea regulars are older and/or just prefer this dress code, but in such surroundings dressing to their rules came easy.

 

About the Seabourn passenger contract discussed above and for our cruise on 3 July, we understand that it will be ready after 14 July. It presumably has to do with adjusting it to the then in effect regulations. I don’t get it since Silversea had no issue with delivering a timely contract and they are starting 2 weeks earlier, and Seabourn can always amend its July contract should they choose to later for later cruises, right? No big deal for us yet, but it might well be for some now, depending on what hangs off this contract for them.

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, markham said:

SLSD,

 

I will have plenty to say in reviews that I intend to post after both cruises. But for now, I can talk about our Muse Cruise of Feb 2019 out of Sydney. The dress code and practice was similar to Seabourn but did not distract me as I always wore a jacket at dinner. One difference may have been the large mid-ship bar Dolce Vita required that men wear jackets and this was enforced after 18:00. The Obs Bar on Seabourn after 18:00 can look like the Sky Bar dress-wise…. The same expectation we’re in place in the Atlantide, the large Continental dining room- where, incidentally, the food was always superb. Maybe the Silversea regulars are older and/or just prefer this dress code, but in such surroundings dressing to their rules came easy.

 

 

 

This is what I remember about mode of dress on SS years ago.  Mr.  SLSD always wears a jacket to dinner, no matter the venue, so that is not an issue for us.  I look forward to your reports for both ships.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, markham said:

About the Seabourn passenger contract discussed above and for our cruise on 3 July, we understand that it will be ready after 14 July.

 

Am I understanding correctly that the passenger contract from Seabourn will be available after your cruise??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You made me second guess myself!

 

No, the Seabourn contract may be ready sometime after 14 July and the cruise, their first of the season, starts 3 July. We are just waiting for it, as are our friends. We cannot checkin for the cruise and supply all our details until the website works and the contract is there.
 

It is my 18 July Silversea cruise whose contract is already in hand via their terrific website. What I was emphasizing was that whatever Seabourn is investigating for their contract, at least as it concerns the Summer cruise season in Greece, may be covered in the Silversea contract. So it might be helpful for them to assess it.

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the 7/10 cruise so we hope the contract is available before then.   We were able to get the boarding passes for our 7/10 cruise without approving the “non existent” contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruiseej and everyone else:

 

I now see my typos and need to correct them.

The Seabourn contract is expected on/after 14 June which is about 3 weeks before the first cruise.

Sorry!

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...