What are the dishes in the MDR that are your favorites?

54 minutes ago, misguy said:

We are sailing on the July 10 sailing of the Adventure and trying to plan dining.  So I am interested in what are best dishes in the MDR.

Avoid MDRs. Service is lukewarm at best. Food isn't any better than other free options -- in fact, I'd say outright mediocre. You don't even have to go the paid route for an improvement. Windjammer or Solarium (in Oasis class) are great options for dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, misguy said:

We are sailing on the July 10 sailing of the Adventure and trying to plan dining.  So I am interested in what are best dishes in the MDR.

It's better to go to the buffet (Windjammer), IMO.  The MDR is like going to a Golden Corral or something like that.  So hit and miss, sometimes fair, sometimes not so good, sometimes cold, sometimes luke warm....rather go to a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer and certainly don't have a favorite there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ron Don said:

It's better to go to the buffet (Windjammer), IMO.  The MDR is like going to a Golden Corral or something like that.  So hit and miss, sometimes fair, sometimes not so good, sometimes cold, sometimes luke warm....rather go to a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer and certainly don't have a favorite there.

/high 5 hehe. See post right above yours. With all pluses and minuses Royal has, the biggest minus, by far, is the food and service at MDRs.

For appetizers, escargot and onion tart comes to mind.

For soup, DW orders the mushroom soup.  I order any "cold" soup and add vodka.

For main dish, the duck "LeOrange" and lobster when they serve it.

For dessert, tiramisu and I order another cold soup and add vodka.

• Like 2

I like the MDR, I have always had great service and have enjoyed the food.

My favorites are:  French onion soup, escargot and the onion tart.  Lobster, lamb and steaks!!

And as for a dessert, I will take it all.

As I said I really enjoy dining in the MDR.  I do eat in the Windjammer and the specialty Restaurants. I east wherever food is served I will most likely be in line.

Sea ya all on the Sea.

Judy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, takeabreath3 said:

I like the MDR, I have always had great service and have enjoyed the food.

My favorites are:  French onion soup, escargot and the onion tart.  Lobster, lamb and steaks!!

And as for a dessert, I will take it all.

As I said I really enjoy dining in the MDR.  I do eat in the Windjammer and the specialty Restaurants. I east wherever food is served I will most likely be in line.

Sea ya all on the Sea.

Judy

I've always had great experiences in the MDR as well.  I love the escargot with my Prosecco every night.

• Like 2

Lamb shanks in the MDR are excellent as is most of the other food served there .

Service is adequate .

Try the dining room .

You may like it , just like the other thousands of people that they serve every day.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, coldflame said:

/high 5 hehe. See post right above yours. With all pluses and minuses Royal has, the biggest minus, by far, is the food and service at MDRs.

But you rave about DCL ?🙄

The MDR experience generally is quite good, a lot does depend on your location /ambiance of your table and the staff that serves you. The food is generally always edible, however there are dishes which are just ok and many that are quite good and only some that can be considered as good to very good. Also, here it depends a lot on the Kitchen Staff  / avsilability of ingredients as the very same dishes can be very good on one cruise but on the next only ok. 

Crowded yes, you gotta hit WJ at the right time I.e. not the most popular dining times.  But I have always found something delicious to eat there.  I especially love their roasted chicken.  I can, and have, eaten nothing but a big plateful of it for dinner!!

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

But you rave about DCL ?🙄

DCL has, by far, the best service and food on MDRs of any cruise line we've sailed on, by far. RCL MDR experience is positively the worst of the three lines.

1 hour ago, coldflame said:

DCL has, by far, the best service and food on MDRs of any cruise line we've sailed on, by far. RCL MDR experience is positively the worst of the three lines.

And at a cost of double RCCL they should.  At least every time I've looked to join DCL the cost far exceeds RCCL.

• Like 2

I also feel that the MDR gets a bum rap. No, it's not haute cuisine, but it's tasty, and on the rare occasions when I don't enjoy a dish, I simply choose another one. And maybe I'm just lucky, but I've always had good service.

That being said, I also enjoy specialty dining, the WJ, room service etc. So I guess I'm just not an "avoid at all costs" type of person. 

As for my favorite dishes: I gravitate towards European-style cuisine when it's done well, but it seldom compares to what I ate when actually living in Europe. 😉 I've been quite pleasantly surprised by MDR dishes such as the spaghetti bolognese and crème brûlée.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sandc4e said:

And at a cost of double RCCL they should.  At least every time I've looked to join DCL the cost far exceeds RCCL.

Disney is more expensive than Royal, no doubt. But people get sticker shock w/o realizing fare includes unlimited soda/soft drink package for every passenger, completely free room service regardless of time of day, not having to spend hundreds on specialty dining, better allowance for bringing alcohol on board. So I would say the net price ratio is more like 3:4 rather than 1:2

Other than lobster I cant remember one favorite dish in the MDR. I've taken to eating more and more in the Windjammer and grabbing a steak off the grill that I only wait 5 minutes for, fixing my own salad, watermelon, only if its ripe. If the buffet has some kind of seeds for my salad, makes my day.

I'm not crazy about any desserts except their oatmeal raisen cookies. Not served in Mdr. 

44 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Disney is more expensive than Royal, no doubt. But people get sticker shock w/o realizing fare includes unlimited soda/soft drink package for every passenger, completely free room service regardless of time of day, not having to spend hundreds on specialty dining, better allowance for bringing alcohol on board. So I would say the net price ratio is more like 3:4 rather than 1:2

The last time I looked at Disney fares, my suite for an upcoming RC cruise was cheaper than a Disney interior room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The last time I looked at Disney fares, my suite for an upcoming RC cruise was cheaper than a Disney interior room.

If you are watching for disney when they first release cruises, the prices are best. I did book a disney cruise out of Florida for not a bad price, but cancelled to go out of Galveston. Sounded fun but not worth flying for. If I'd had kids I'd have gone. It was maybe $500 more but not awful. I booked the day prices were released.

Others have said disney cruise prices only go up, book early.   .. though I'm sure covid changed the pattern temporarily.