Jump to content

Will You cancel Your Upcoming Cruises if Royal Caribbean Doesn't Require Vaccinations


If Royal Caribbean Doesn't Require Vaccinations will you cancel your cruise?  

436 members have voted

  1. 1. How Do You Feel About Royal Caribbean not requesting vaccinations

    • We will cancel our upcoming cruise(s) if Royal Caribbean does not require vaccinations
      291
    • We Don't have concerns with with Royal Caribbean not Requiring Vaccinations
      145


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Of course I've heard of the names of those diseases, just never was forced to lay attention to the cdc and their biases  ...  like being told by teachers what to say and kids sit home on zoom. I'm outraged and wish someone would fire them. Political body. Dont follow science. No studies proving staying locked up was better than opening. ..mistake after mistake. Bunch of idiots controlling my cruises. 

 

I'd like to go back to ignoring them. I don't tolerate idiots well.

You just don't like following rules or having anybody tell you what you have to do..........then wow, you better stay off of cruiseships.

Find another kind of vacation please where you are more in control.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe RC should offer ships with fully vaccinated (95% plus) and ships with vaccine optional. At least for the initial startup. 
 

People could book the one they prefer.🤷‍♂️

While not available on every ship and every port, in a small way they have.  At this point those that are adamant about vaccines can book cruises on Serenade, Ovation and Adventure through mid Sept.  Others can book from the four ships that will begin early sailings.  Strangely, the adamant ones that are making the most noise about this decision aren't queueing up for the vaccinated cruises.

 

Royal was damned if they did, damned if they didn't.  No matter what decision they made there was a segment that was going to be disgruntled.  I'm sure the decision rested on the potential for future revenues.  Families, with children represent more in the way future earnings.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, broberts said:

Has there been any official detailing of mask wearing and other practices that will be required aboard an unvaccinated cruise?

I think it's a given, unvaccinated cruise's are going to require masks at time's in and around the ship during certain times.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interpretational bias is rampant in this thread. Here is what RCL actually said in their press release (the bold is mine for emphasis):

 

U.S. Health and Safety Measures
Travelers can plan their cruise adventure with peace of mind knowing that all crew members will be vaccinated against COVID-19. Guests are strongly recommended to set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible. Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date. 

 

As I read this, when you get to the port, you will be asked (probably on the Health Questionnaire) whether you have been vaccinated, and given a choice - voluntarily present your documentation, or have a swab shoved up your nose and follow a higher level of restrictions on board.

 

All the state law says is that RCL cannot require proof of vaccination, not that they can't accept it if a passenger voluntarily offers to provide it, or enforce stricter health protocols if a passenger chooses not to voluntarily present it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ricksurf said:

I have too many bad memories of cruises gone bad from last year; so I will cancel any cruise which is not fully vaccinated.  I will not book any cruise which is not fully vaccinated.  I think for the first few months of cruising then these strict protocols should be in effect.  We want to keep cruising open and don't want to doom it in the first few cruises.

If RCI is so short sighted and did not learn any lessons from the past then they might be doomed for the future.

There are cruise ships sailing in several other parts of the world that are operating successfully without vaccine mandates.  Their protocols are being proven effective in real time.  Rci is learning from actual data, on real cruise ships, that have adopted best practices learned since March 2020.  

 

To think that your memory of a couple early ships and the mistakes made at the earliest part of this pandemic should be the guiding principles for going forward is the epitome of shortsightedness.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, divincenzo said:

Who's to say Caribbean countries will even allow non-vaxed people disembark?  

But, what if you encounter a non-vaccinated, Covid carrying Caribbean resident and they accidentally sneeze on you?  Maybe you shouldn’t even get off the ship. Same worry and just as ridiculous sounding, right?  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

There are cruise ships sailing in several other parts of the world that are operating successfully without vaccine mandates.  Their protocols are being proven effective in real time.  Rci is learning from actual data, on real cruise ships, that have adopted best practices learned since March 2020.  

 

To think that your memory of a couple early ships and the mistakes made at the earliest part of this pandemic should be the guiding principles for going forward is the epitome of shortsightedness.  

Why do people keep continuing to say about what other ships are doing in other parts of the world.............We are talking about American Passengers........you know the ones that butt inline, the ones that that try to beat the system, the ones that don't listen to directions, the ones that don't like to be told what they can and can not do on a cruise........you know the ones at Customer Relation bitching and moaning about any little thing.........

Jeeze, stop the thing, what other ships are doing with non american people onboard.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Interpretational bias is rampant in this thread. Here is what RCL actually said in their press release (the bold is mine for emphasis):

 

U.S. Health and Safety Measures
Travelers can plan their cruise adventure with peace of mind knowing that all crew members will be vaccinated against COVID-19. Guests are strongly recommended to set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible. Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date. 

 

As I read this, when you get to the port, you will be asked (probably on the Health Questionnaire) whether you have been vaccinated, and given a choice - voluntarily present your documentation, or have a swab shoved up your nose and follow a higher level of restrictions on board.

 

All the state law says is that RCL cannot require proof of vaccination, not that they can't accept it if a passenger voluntarily offers to provide it, or enforce stricter health protocols if a passenger chooses not to voluntarily present it.

I read this too and have been perplexed by many of the comments on this thread.  It's almost as if folks haven't actually read what Royal has said and jumped to whatever conclusion is their worst case scenario.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Here is what a 60% vaccination rate did for the United States. Case levels are back to March 2020 levels and continually trending towards zero. Maybe it’s you that has your head in the sand. My observations are based on science and facts, not mystical hypothetical situations.

 

 

CD84FDF8-A68B-4C69-88F9-5708D290BC34.jpeg

If you choose to not factor in all of the relevant data and variables, you can expect to have less than accurate models.  Regardless of the current stats in the US, the reality is that we don’t live in a bubble.  Our citizens travel internationally, and return home.  Foreign nationals travel here.  Other countries are not doing as well, variants are continuing to show up — as we can expect because science proves that is what happens when viruses are not contained— globally.  I have no idea why you seem to want to ignore the reality, but that doesn’t make it less true.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Why do people keep continuing to say about what other ships are doing in other parts of the world.............We are talking about American Passengers........you know the ones that butt inline, the ones that that try to beat the system, the ones that don't listen to directions, the ones that don't like to be told what they can and can not do on a cruise........you know the ones at Customer Relation bitching and moaning about any little thing.........

Jeeze, stop the thing, what other ships are doing with non american people onboard.

I have cruised with Germans and Italians on MSC.  Their behavior was no better than any American dominated cruise I have been on. They are just as likely to push and shove, cut into the queue and shoulder their way to the front at a bar as anyone else.  As well as cruising on MSC I have done many land based trips to Europe. Your assumption that American are more poorly behaved than Europeans is an unfounded stereotype that I have never seen in all my travels abroad.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Interpretational bias is rampant in this thread. Here is what RCL actually said in their press release (the bold is mine for emphasis):

 

U.S. Health and Safety Measures
Travelers can plan their cruise adventure with peace of mind knowing that all crew members will be vaccinated against COVID-19. Guests are strongly recommended to set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible. Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date. 

 

As I read this, when you get to the port, you will be asked (probably on the Health Questionnaire) whether you have been vaccinated, and given a choice - voluntarily present your documentation, or have a swab shoved up your nose and follow a higher level of restrictions on board.

 

All the state law says is that RCL cannot require proof of vaccination, not that they can't accept it if a passenger voluntarily offers to provide it, or enforce stricter health protocols if a passenger chooses not to voluntarily present it.

I believe people who aren’t vaccinated will get tested  before embarking because they have to but the same guests adhering to other protocols after the ship has sailed is a different story altogether. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

There are cruise ships sailing in several other parts of the world that are operating successfully without vaccine mandates.  Their protocols are being proven effective in real time.  Rci is learning from actual data, on real cruise ships, that have adopted best practices learned since March 2020.  

 

To think that your memory of a couple early ships and the mistakes made at the earliest part of this pandemic should be the guiding principles for going forward is the epitome of shortsightedness.  

 

They are operating successfully, but with numerous protocols that wouldn't be required on a ship with vaccination requirements. Personally I prefer not to cruise under the those protocols. We have several cruises already booked which will require vaccinations and plan to keep them. For our other cruises out of Florida we will see what the protocols will be for vaccinated passengers, and if we will be required to mask, social distance and follow the same protocols that apply to unvaccinated passengers, we'll cancel them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have cruised with Germans and Italians on MSC.  Their behavior was no better than any American dominated cruise I have been on. They are just as likely to push and shove, cut into the queue and shoulder their way to the front at a bar as anyone else.  As well as cruising on MSC I have done many land based trips to Europe. Your assumption that American are more poorly behaved than Europeans is an unfounded stereotype that I have never seen in all my travels abroad.

I bet they are not home trying to sell fake vaccine cards on ebay?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lr657 said:

 

They are operating successfully, but with numerous protocols that wouldn't be required on a ship with vaccination requirements. Personally I prefer not to cruise under the those protocols. We have several cruises already booked which will require vaccinations and plan to keep them. For our other cruises out of Florida we will see what the protocols will be for vaccinated passengers, and if we will be required to mask, social distance and follow the same protocols that apply to unvaccinated passengers, we'll cancel them. 

I agree completely, you have made the best decision.  I think the protocols that will be required for the unvaccinated are a work in progress. Vaccinated passengers will have greater freedom from the outset and the unvaccinated will have protocols that will slowly diminish as the risk of an outbreak fades with the declining numbers of Covid in America.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Global trends are continuing to trend downwards as well. I simply used the United States as an example because a 60% vaccination rate has almost eliminated the spread. As other countries continue to vaccinate, new cases will trend downwards as well.

 

So far, the major new waves because of variants hasn’t happened. If it ever does, it would be a much greater issue than just on a cruise ship. If we aside hypothetical and only focus on data and science, then we are good!

Apparently you aren’t aware that there are a few variants that have caused major upticks in Covid cases and deaths globally.  Not sure why you are espousing that major waves from variants haven’t happened.  So far there have been variant waves in the UK, which spread to the EU, and here in the US, and seems to be why Michigan was having such a difficult not that long ago.  There is a variant out of Brazil causing a huge wave, one in India, one in Vietnam, and now Portugal.  South Africa as well.  The ones in Vietnam and Portugal have not yet caused major waves, but reports are that Portugal’s cases have doubled due to the variant.  There is nothing hypothetical about it — and understanding the reality of virus mutation and spread IS a big part of the science

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

If you choose to not factor in all of the relevant data and variables, you can expect to have less than accurate models.  Regardless of the current stats in the US, the reality is that we don’t live in a bubble.  Our citizens travel internationally, and return home.  Foreign nationals travel here.  Other countries are not doing as well, variants are continuing to show up — as we can expect because science proves that is what happens when viruses are not contained— globally.  I have no idea why you seem to want to ignore the reality, but that doesn’t make it less true.

You can keep denying science all you want but truth is vaccines are effective and global trends are going down too, albeit a bit slower as vaccine rollout has been slower. Chances of getting Covid are getting slimmer by the day and mass spreader events are a thing if the past. I know 2020 was scary but it’s over, not need to keep spreading fear and what-ifs.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Apparently you aren’t aware that there are a few variants that have caused major upticks in Covid cases and deaths globally.  Not sure why you are espousing that major waves from variants haven’t happened.  So far there have been variant waves in the UK, which spread to the EU, and here in the US, and seems to be why Michigan was having such a difficult not that long ago.  There is a variant out of Brazil causing a huge wave, one in India, one in Vietnam, and now Portugal.  South Africa as well.  The ones in Vietnam and Portugal have not yet caused major waves, but reports are that Portugal’s cases have doubled due to the variant.  There is nothing hypothetical about it — and understanding the reality of virus mutation and spread IS a big part of the science

Data not showing upticks.

2FFE73F9-FB42-48E6-AF75-1B5BE385C881.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, broberts said:

Has there been any official detailing of mask wearing and other practices that will be required aboard an unvaccinated cruise?


Unvaccinated From US departure ports - Not from the cruise lines.  
I’m pretty sure the CSO details those requirements  (changing as time goes on) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They didn’t say which state was offering a free cruise but West Virginia was offering a free gun. 

OMG!  That one made me spray coffee all over the table. 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

They didn’t say which state was offering a free cruise but West Virginia was offering a free gun. 

 

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

OMG!  That one made me spray coffee all over the table. 😂

Sure hope the vaccine works! 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

No one is “making” anyone get a vaccine for travel — but I am curious what statutes you are referring to as to the illegality of requiring a vaccine (schools have such requirements nationally, and the Covid vaccines have been legally authorized for use) and the only place currently with a law about asking for vaccination status is Florida.  Pretty sure cruises will be sailing out of ports not in Florida.  So, other than Florida, what statute are you referring to?

It is illegal to require anyone to get an experimental drug. You can start by researching the Nuremburg Code & then try various government laws. Then start researching various laws against HIPPA & Disability Acts. The Chinese Virus vaccines are still experimental & schools can require them but they will loose when challenged.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, toocruisin2 said:

I intermingle with unvaccinated people all the time in stores, restaurants, etc. so I'm not worried about getting Covid on a ship any more than I would be worried anywhere else.

When you're in a store or a restaurant, you're there for like an hour and you can keep your distance from others if you choose?  Whereas a cruise ship is 7@24 in a confined space, for up to a week, with complete strangers.  Do you think you can really stay six feet apart from other cruisers in an elevator or a bar or that you're not breathing re-circulated air in a restaurant or a theatre on a ship?

 

Going on a cruise anywhere in the next year will be a big leap of faith that all the scientists have everything figured out.  It's not making it any easier when cruise lines want to put profits or politics above their customers' safety.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...