What happens if Canada opens up to cruises again?

I remember looking at Canadas vaccination efforts daily hoping they would catch up which might in turn allow them to open up and therefore cruising for Alaska in the fall.
That is obviously not an issue now with the short term chance to not need a foreign port in Alaska so I have not checked recently.

I happened to look at the charts again yesterday and could not believe my eyes the excellent progress Canada have recently made, what a turn around!

With this in mind, how does the US temporary suspension work if Canada suddenly open in the next few months? does that mean the suspension ends overnight? Will the itinerary have to change to include a foreign port (Victoria/Vancouver) again or can they continue as they are for a while?

image.thumb.png.c7a1c935728ae553b4ad653df3f5842b.png

23 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

With this in mind, how does the US temporary suspension work if Canada suddenly open in the next few months? does that mean the suspension ends overnight? Will the itinerary have to change to include a foreign port (Victoria/Vancouver) again or can they continue as they are for a while?

The legislation itself states when that temporary suspension terminates:

"Duration.—The authority provided under this section shall terminate on the earlier of—

(1) the date on which covered cruise ships are no longer prohibited by the Government of Canada, any political subdivision of Canada, or any port or province of Canada, from entering, berthing, or docking in Canadian waters of the Pacific Coast due to the COVID–19 pandemic; or

(2) March 31, 2022."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/593/text

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The legislation itself states when that temporary suspension terminates:

"Duration.—The authority provided under this section shall terminate on the earlier of—

(1) the date on which covered cruise ships are no longer prohibited by the Government of Canada, any political subdivision of Canada, or any port or province of Canada, from entering, berthing, or docking in Canadian waters of the Pacific Coast due to the COVID–19 pandemic; or

(2) March 31, 2022."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/593/text

Thanks for that, so therefore if it did happen they would need to change the itinerary once again to include Canada and presumably that out literally happen overnight.
I'm very happy with my all Alaska booking 🤔

• Like 1

So if your cruise is paid in full, and Canada decides to let ships dock there, you will have itinerary changes of less time in some ports to compensate for an extra stop and you will be charged more for port taxes?

It is very unlikely that the ports in Canada will open before spring. They are still mostly locked down and the wheels move very slowly there. My oldest son lives in Canada his wife is Canadian. We have been waiting forever for the borders to open so we can visit and see our Grandson. We were last told maybe January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saltsandknit said:

It is very unlikely that the ports in Canada will open before spring. They are still mostly locked down and the wheels move very slowly there. My oldest son lives in Canada his wife is Canadian. We have been waiting forever for the borders to open so we can visit and see our Grandson. We were last told maybe January.

Yikes!!  Time for a revolution!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

6 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Thanks for that, so therefore if it did happen they would need to change the itinerary once again to include Canada and presumably that out literally happen overnight.
I'm very happy with my all Alaska booking 🤔

Canada opening its borders for cruise ships may result in the cancellation of Alaskan cruises. 

The US would no longer allow cruises without an international stop. 

The cruise lines would have to scramble to develop protocols that would allow compliance with the Canadian regulations. Which may bring the cruise season to a grinding halt. 

For example... Royal is cruising out of Nassau starting next week. Passengers had to get a Bahamas health visa and purchase Bahamas health insurance. Royal had to establish a protocol to allow unvaccinated passengers to log onto the Bahamas health site and report their medical condition every day during the cruise. Royal had to come to an agreement with the Bahamas to allow for the mandatory 5th day COVID test for unvaccinated passengers to be done by the cruise line on the 6th day and reported to the Bahamas health authority (so the test can be used for both the Bahamas and to return to your home country). Royal had to come to agreements that would let them disembark passengers for 3 port calls and 1 disembarkation call without re-processing health visas. The ship makes a port call in Cozumel which is in the only Orange/Red state in Mexico (high incidence of COVID with lots of restrictions on what is open... and a cruise ship exceeds the 4-person maximum traveling together). 

Bottom line: Lots of coordination with foreign country to make port calls. "Open" does not mean "open"

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

Where does your son live? Ontario I'm guessing. They are still very much under the thumb of good ol' Dougie Ford. What a disaster he is. We live in BC and things are OPEN OPEN OPEN and continue to be opening fully. But then again, we've always been way more open than many other parts of Canada. So glad I live in BC. Anyway, I digress. No Canada will not open their ports earlier than Spring 2022 and yes the border WILL open earlier than January 2022. Most of us expect it open by September or earlier. After all, our second doses are finally ramping up and we have 10% more with one dose than the US does. We'll probably end up passing you soon with 2 doses as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Canada opening its borders for cruise ships may result in the cancellation of Alaskan cruises. 

The US would no longer allow cruises without an international stop. 

The cruise lines would have to scramble to develop protocols that would allow compliance with the Canadian regulations. Which may bring the cruise season to a grinding halt. 

For example... Royal is cruising out of Nassau starting next week. Passengers had to get a Bahamas health visa and purchase Bahamas health insurance. Royal had to establish a protocol to allow unvaccinated passengers to log onto the Bahamas health site and report their medical condition every day during the cruise. Royal had to come to an agreement with the Bahamas to allow for the mandatory 5th day COVID test for unvaccinated passengers to be done by the cruise line on the 6th day and reported to the Bahamas health authority (so the test can be used for both the Bahamas and to return to your home country). Royal had to come to agreements that would let them disembark passengers for 3 port calls and 1 disembarkation call without re-processing health visas. The ship makes a port call in Cozumel which is in the only Orange/Red state in Mexico (high incidence of COVID with lots of restrictions on what is open... and a cruise ship exceeds the 4-person maximum traveling together). 

Bottom line: Lots of coordination with foreign country to make port calls. "Open" does not mean "open"

It’s simple. Canada says we can dock? Ok. We’re docking. They won’t let anybody off the ship?  Fine!  See yah next time. Victoria is highly overrated.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bcwife76 said:

Where does your son live? Ontario I'm guessing. They are still very much under the thumb of good ol' Dougie Ford. What a disaster he is. We live in BC and things are OPEN OPEN OPEN and continue to be opening fully. But then again, we've always been way more open than many other parts of Canada. So glad I live in BC. Anyway, I digress. No Canada will not open their ports earlier than Spring 2022 and yes the border WILL open earlier than January 2022. Most of us expect it open by September or earlier. After all, our second doses are finally ramping up and we have 10% more with one dose than the US does. We'll probably end up passing you soon with 2 doses as well. 

My son lives in Saskatchewan. Parts are locked down parts are open. We are just waiting for borders to open without quarantine, that might be a while.  I love BC by the way  such a pretty place to visit. 

I agree with my neighbours in Vancouver.   It is extremely unlikely that Canada will open up our ports to cruise ships this summer.  However, it is very likely that the US/Canada land border will gradually reopen.   

Unfortunately, parts of Canada were hit relatively hard with the third wave due to variants from overseas.   However, only one province,  Manitoba, still struggles with higher numbers.   In BC we have never suffered a complete lockdown or curfew.   Our health authorities took a more gentle approach and it worked.    Please fee free to check the stats on the attached.    The information is reliable as it comes from reputable sources.   Throughout the entire term of the pandemic,  only one US State,  Hawaii, had fewer cases per capita than any Canadian province.     That might explain why there was a need to close the border albeit much longer than anyone had ever expected!

For those who have the chance to sail to Alaska this summer, you will have a spectacular time.   I have been 7 times, having lived in Vancouver for 30 years and the port only a 15 minute taxi ride away.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-in-the-u-s-how-do-canada-s-provinces-rank-against-american-states-1.5051033

• Like 3

Even if Canada decided to allow ships this season, there is no way Vancouver could/would take them, since Canada Place (Port of Vancouver) is currently home to the largest vaccination clinic in BC and will continue to be for as long as needed to get everyone vaccinated! I work there, and it's very surreal to be checking in folks for shots rather than for a cruise. One amazing thing that came out of having to "pivot" during Covid is that tourism staff (cruiseline pier agents, hotel staff, airline staff, tour operators) were contracted by the health authorities to act as frontline at vaccination centres! It has been an amazing experience! That being said, I have no idea what is going on with Victoria and their port...

• Like 4

Not trying to hijack the topic, but what does this mean, if anything, for Alaska cruises like mine for June 4, 2022? 

Could those cruises to Alaska that are supposed to originate in Vancouver actually be canceled if the ports are not opened up in the Spring? 

48 minutes ago, J_Bronco34 said:

Not trying to hijack the topic, but what does this mean, if anything, for Alaska cruises like mine for June 4, 2022? 

Very likely, this will mean nothing.  Things will be normal long before that point.

12 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

It’s simple. Canada says we can dock? Ok. We’re docking. They won’t let anybody off the ship?  Fine!  See yah next time. Victoria is highly overrated.  

I'm sure Victoria is lovely, but the 2 hours the cruise docks there does it a disservice and definitely isn't worth getting off, unless you want some poutine or maple syrup to bring home lol

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I'm sure Victoria is lovely, but the 2 hours the cruise docks there does it a disservice and definitely isn't worth getting off, unless you want some poutine or maple syrup to bring home lol

I am not aware of any cruise ships returning from Alaska stopping for only 2 hours!   It would take longer than that to dock and clear passengers.   Most are here in the evening, yes, which limits sightseeing but for 5 or more hours.   The Bliss typically stops in Victoria from 12noon until 7pm.  And poutine is from Quebec as is Maple Syrup which is over 4,000 kilometres from Victoria.   Texas is closer!!

57 minutes ago, TashaB said:

And poutine is from Quebec as is Maple Syrup which is over 4,000 kilometres from Victoria.   Texas is closer!!

I feel sure I bought maple syrup from a Thrifty grocer in Victoria on my last visit.  I don’t need to tap the tree.

I expect the border to start re-opening in the July-September timeframe.  Having said that, the summer 2021 Canada cruise ship season has already sailed.  Whatever happens with the border, you can be sure there will be no cruise ship passengers disembarking at Canadian ports in 2021.

Someone mentioned getting poutine in BC.  Oh the horror!  The only place one should eat poutine is in Quebec on a cold day.  It warms your soul🙃.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, logan25 said:

I feel sure I bought maple syrup from a Thrifty grocer in Victoria on my last visit.  I don’t need to tap the tree.

Very likely as there is a grocery chain called Thrifty's in Victoria.  And, quite frankly, the shops along Government Street that cater to cruise ship passengers all sell Maple Syrup at inflated prices!   It happens that the shuttle buses let them off there.    Just suggesting that Maple Syrup isn't something produced locally.    I hope you enjoyed your time here and plan to come again once the curtain of covid lifts!

10 hours ago, TashaB said:

I am not aware of any cruise ships returning from Alaska stopping for only 2 hours!   It would take longer than that to dock and clear passengers.   Most are here in the evening, yes, which limits sightseeing but for 5 or more hours.   The Bliss typically stops in Victoria from 12noon until 7pm.  And poutine is from Quebec as is Maple Syrup which is over 4,000 kilometres from Victoria.   Texas is closer!!

ok, calm down.  I was on the Bliss in 2019 and we literally had a 2.5 hr stop in Victoria. it was 2 hrs in the evening, basically enough time to go into town, buy souvenirs and get on the bus back to the ship.  I'll try to find the itinerary so I can prove to you it was less than 5 hrs. Also, I have had poutine in both Quebec city, as well as maple syrup, in both places...both places were fabulous. Poutine is something I hardly ever see in Texas.  Yes, it's probably not the best in Victoria, I was simply saying that for the time allotted, you can have a little bit of enjoyable time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

ok, calm down.  I was on the Bliss in 2019 and we literally had a 2.5 hr stop in Victoria. it was 2 hrs in the evening, basically enough time to go into town, buy souvenirs and get on the bus back to the ship.  I'll try to find the itinerary so I can prove to you it was less than 5 hrs. Also, I have had poutine in both Quebec city, as well as maple syrup, in both places...both places were fabulous. Poutine is something I hardly ever see in Texas.  Yes, it's probably not the best in Victoria, I was simply saying that for the time allotted, you can have a little bit of enjoyable time.

http://crew-center.com/victoria-british-columbia-cruise-ship-schedule-2020

Sorry I couldn't find 2019.   Have a good evening.