Richard Fain, RCG CEO, discusses vaccination strategies during restart of cruising

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

It was a statement made by Celebrity on a call with travel agents. The quote is either above or in another thread. It is unfair for a reason. They are saying don’t bother showing up if you are unvaccinated. What’s really unfair is that the State of Florida has forced the cruise line’s hand and results in this unnecessary legal gymnastics. 

I still don't see much of a distinction between this method and the "vaccine required". It will work for Celebrity but only because they told people for so long that vaccines were going to be required so anyone without a vaccine likely already cancelled. Also very few kids go on Celebrity. Hopefully they know from pre-registration how many kids will be onboard and already include that in the 5% before people show up so they might deny a person boarding, but still allow kids that arrive after them since they were pre-notified.

A plan like this would never work for another line.

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

That’s the legal pickle. They can’t because if they exceed that figure the CDC will not allow them to sail.  

Which then leads to litigation and a loss for Fla./Tx on the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution (first step, likely a Temporary restraining Order (TRO) on the states), not to mention the issues with the Commerce Clause. As they literally can't stop lines from sailing at 95% vac., it comes down to fines, litigation and such later in the year or in 2022.

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Even out of Galveston if carnival says vaccinated to me that means 95% but they havent said how they will get there. Hopefully not a lottery at the port. 

While I get it you blame florida. ..I'm out of Galveston vaccinated and to me it's the cdc who said 95%. ..which isnt anything to do with florida. 

Carnival has announced that for July, Galveston will be 100% vaccinated, age ineligible children not permitted to board. 

1 minute ago, mmcgann11 said:

Which then leads to litigation and a loss for Fla./Tx on the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution (first step, likely a Temporary restraining Order (TRO) on the states), not to mention the issues with the Commerce Clause. As they literally can't stop lines from sailing at 95% vac., it comes down to fines, litigation and such later in the year or in 2022.

Again how is this on florida or texas. Texas has nothing to do with the cdc 95% and it makes no sense people keep saying it does. I'm going out of Galveston which is in texas. Carnival says vaccinated and the cdc says 95%... the cdc! 

Makes no sense to blame texas or florida. Texas doesnt stop them asking. 

Is there any other situation where you could have had a cabin booked and paid for, and then denied boarding (other than if you are obviously sick)?

This whole "your 5% allotment is full, you can't board" may be the legal way around one law, but I find the argument shaky

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Carnival has announced that for July, Galveston will be 100% vaccinated, age ineligible children not permitted to board. 

Which is my theory for selling to solos so cheap. Fill the ships with vaccinated adults. Drop the supplement.

I have kids and unvaccinated on my sept vista but they just say this is for july and left Aug and sept hanging. So some want to know ... I'm good no matter what .. so we are still in the dark. Gotta start somewhere some posters say. Glad I dont have a family. 

Well hopefully it all becomes clearer. I guess one month at a time, though the posts blaming texas and Florida make no sense ..cdc rules. Not texas. I'm good. 

Btw john heald says to give cruises the experience they want carnival is doing vaccinated because cruisers dont want to wear masks. I agree.

Edited by firefly333
3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The email that I received yesterday from Carnival says 95% vaccinated out of Galveston and children under 12 will be exempt. Did they change it again? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

The email that I received yesterday from Carnival says 95% vaccinated out of Galveston and children under 12 will be exempt. Did they change it again? 

Yes. Yesterday they changed it AGAIN to say they will allow a a "small number" of unvaccinated guests (children under 12), and that Carnival plans to allow a small number of exemptions.

Around here if your news is 24hrs old, it's out of date.

Edited by jrapps
Just now, jrapps said:

Yes. Yesterday they changed it AGAIN to say they will allow a a "small number" of unvaccinated guests (children under 12), and that Carnival plans to allow a small number of exemptions.

Around here if your news is 24hrs old, it's out of date.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I was asking if it reverted back to 100% since I received the email yesterday stating it would be a minimum or 95% with some exemptions. 

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Which is my theory for selling to solos so cheap. Fill the ships with vaccinated adults. Drop the supplement.

I have kids and unvaccinated on my sept vista but they just say this is for july and left Aug and sept hanging. So some want to know ... I'm good no matter what .. so we are still in the dark. Gotta start somewhere some posters say. Glad I dont have a family. 

Wel, hopefully it all becomes clearer. I guess one month at a time, though the posts blaming texas and Florida make no sense ..cdc rules. Not texas. I'm good. 

Going to disagree with you on the last statement firefly.  It’s not the CDC rules.  Cruise lines have a choice. Vaccinated or unvaccinated cruises. Texas and Florida law purport to not allow a vaccine requirement. That’s on them. The cruise lines will do what they have to to get around it. 

9 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

Different rules for July only in Galveston (as of now)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The email was specifically about July out of Galveston. It says 95%, not 100%.

"We are looking forward to welcoming you on board for your cruise operating from Galveston inJuly. We are pleased to provide you with more information on what to expect so you can plan accordingly.

Your cruise will operate with at least 95% of guests who will have had their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise. Guests will be required to present proof of vaccination at time of check-in. For your reference, any vaccine approved by either the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the World Health Organization (WHO) meets this requirement. Our crew members will also be vaccinated.

By operating under these guidelines, vaccinated guests will not be required to wear a facemask or maintain physical distancing while on board. Guests will have to follow all local guidance at the destinations we visit, including testing/health screening, mask wearing, physical distancing and organized/independent activities. Due to operational considerations, all Carnival Vista cruises will operate a Mahogany Bay-Belize-Cozumel itinerary.

The CDC’s guidelines for operating a highly vaccinated cruise provide the ability to accommodate a small number of unvaccinated guests (children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated and exemptions as required by federal law) on restricted voyages, based on the total number of vaccinated guests on board. We plan to accommodate a small number ofexemptions, as allowed. If you would like to be considered because a member of your traveling party is unvaccinated and meets our criteria, please click here to be put on our list for follow-up communication. Please note that there will be testing and mask requirements for the limited number of unvaccinated guests along with other restrictions for those guests granted an exemption."

Edited by dcgrumpy
1 minute ago, dcgrumpy said:

The email was specifically about July out of Galveston. It says 95%, not 100%.

"We are looking forward to welcoming you on board for your cruise operating from Galveston inJuly. We are pleased to provide you with more information on what to expect so you can plan accordingly.

Your cruise will operate with at least 95% of guests who will have had their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise. Guests will be required to present proof of vaccination at time of check-in. For your reference, any vaccine approved by either the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the World Health Organization (WHO) meets this requirement. Our crew members will also be vaccinated.

By operating under these guidelines, vaccinated guests will not be required to wear a facemask or maintain physical distancing while on board. Guests will have to follow all local guidance at the destinations we visit, including testing/health screening, mask wearing, physical distancing and organized/independent activities. Due to operational considerations, all Carnival Vista cruises will operate a Mahogany Bay-Belize-Cozumel itinerary.

The CDC’s guidelines for operating a highly vaccinated cruise provide the ability to accommodate a small number of unvaccinated guests (children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated and exemptions as required by federal law) on restricted voyages, based on the total number of vaccinated guests on board. We plan to accommodate a small number ofexemptions, as allowed. If you would like to be considered because a member of your traveling party is unvaccinated and meets our criteria, please click here to be put on our list for follow-up communication. Please note that there will be testing and mask requirements for the limited number of unvaccinated guests along with other restrictions for those guests granted an exemption."

This does not match what they have posted on their website today. 

F4144A9F-6B2F-4D74-BBC3-35C0620FD986.thumb.jpeg.aa30c590e936bbde97294e81eff6c777.jpeg

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Again how is this on florida or texas. Texas has nothing to do with the cdc 95% and it makes no sense people keep saying it does. I'm going out of Galveston which is in texas. Carnival says vaccinated and the cdc says 95%... the cdc! 

Makes no sense to blame texas or florida. Texas doesnt stop them asking. 

According to the legislation signed by the Texas Governor, they cannot require vaccine proof and if they ask a penalty will be applied. Same with Florida. Will the cruise lines get around it? We’ll see.  

Just now, harkinmr said:

According to the legislation signed by the Texas Governor, they cannot require vaccine proof and if they ask a penalty will be applied. Same with Florida. Will the cruise lines get around it? We’ll see.  

Ok I guess we disagree. There are many posts that if the cruiselines are under a federal agency, the cdc it doesnt apply to them. So I'm guessing carnival lawyers disagree with your analysis.  I'm going with carnival lawyers looked at it and dont see a problem...as they have said. 

I guess posters will keep second guessing other lawyers until cruises start and results are known. But I don't think texas law prohibits it. You do, agree to disagree. I think it was written to give cruises a out.

I'm not worried. I'm going to believe them when they say their lawyers looked it it. Which came out after the new law. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ok I guess we disagree. There are many posts that if the cruiselines are under a federal agency, the cdc it doesnt apply to them. So I'm guessing carnival lawyers disagree with your analysis.  I'm going with carnival lawyers looked at it and dont see a problem...as they have said. 

I guess posters will keep second guessing other lawyers until cruises start and results are known. But I don't think texas law prohibits it. You do, agree to disagree. I think it was written to give cruises a out.

I'm not worried. I'm going to believe them when they say their lawyers looked it it. Which came out after the new law. 

I did not say that the cruise lines are not under CDC authority. They most certainly are. What I said is that the CDC is not mandating that the cruise lines require a vaccine. That is an option given to them under the CSO. Either take it or not. The TX ban may not legally apply to the cruise lines. I believe it does not, but I think they want to avoid going to court.  I do think the Carnival lawyers will find a way around the law.  Celebrity already already has found a way around the FL law. Hopefully it works. 

Edited by harkinmr
33 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I see one thing posted here and another on carnival threads lol.

Carnival sent out a email asking if you have someone unvaccinated you want to be considered for the 5% you can reply and they will tell you the protocols for the unvaccinated.  So they are going with the cdc 95% so as john says masks arent required. Cruisers dont want to wear masks john says.

________

VACCINE EXEMPTION COMMUNICATION

The CDC’s guidelines for operating a highly-vaccinated cruise provide the ability to accommodate a small number of unvaccinated guests (children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated and exemptions as required by federal law) on restricted voyages, based on the total number of vaccinated guests on board. If you would like to be considered because a member of your traveling party is unvaccinated and meets this criteria, please complete the information below to receive a follow-up communication with the requirements to be considered and the specific protocols you will be required to observe.

https://www.carnival.com/vaccine-exemption-update?utm_source=bg&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=060821&fbclid=IwAR2CFNg6nOkqGveacR4li7dyYtiqJg4q4hTQ0kWEzlTgBmnVoccKaw9MrZc

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I see one thing posted here and another on carnival threads lol.

Carnival sent out a email asking if you have someone unvaccinated you want to be considered for the 5% you can reply and they will tell you the protocols for the unvaccinated.  So they are going with the cdc 95% so as john says masks arent required. Cruisers dont want to wear masks john says.

________

VACCINE EXEMPTION COMMUNICATION

The CDC’s guidelines for operating a highly-vaccinated cruise provide the ability to accommodate a small number of unvaccinated guests (children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated and exemptions as required by federal law) on restricted voyages, based on the total number of vaccinated guests on board. If you would like to be considered because a member of your traveling party is unvaccinated and meets this criteria, please complete the information below to receive a follow-up communication with the requirements to be considered and the specific protocols you will be required to observe.

https://www.carnival.com/vaccine-exemption-update?utm_source=bg&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=060821&fbclid=IwAR2CFNg6nOkqGveacR4li7dyYtiqJg4q4hTQ0kWEzlTgBmnVoccKaw9MrZc

All I know is this is on their website this morning 

9AA339D6-87CB-4DE6-8EE0-A74162EC1F61.thumb.jpeg.4e6296c829a76ef6a8482a49ab9a3caa.jpeg

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Policies changing so fast, left hands and right hands have no idea what each other are doing.

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

9AA339D6-87CB-4DE6-8EE0-A74162EC1F61.thumb.jpeg.4e6296c829a76ef6a8482a49ab9a3caa.jpeg

Agree, the exemption letters going out quietly. I'm worried about getting the excursion i want. They say might have fewer than usual spots. I'm rushing onboard to make sure. My fear is excursions and being up at  midnight to get a staggered boarding time and cheers. So many have the drink pkg, will it be hard to get served. I got lots of obc to tip but I know cash works better. $700 in obc for vista now to spend on tipping bar tenders and stuff. 3rd world problems.

Feels like cruising is getting closer. Priority boarding is gone, free for all when they open boarding spots 2 weeks in advance. ...but I earned priority boarding I'm already hearing. Nope. Gone.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I thought MSC's UK cruises weren't vaccinated?

This article is about one MSC ship just being prohibited from docking in Scotland having 75% vaccinated passengers aboard among the 900 passengers. So a port visit missed and apparently some passengers who were beginning their cruise at this port also can't.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57406705

Edited by dswallow