Jump to content

Richard Fain, RCG CEO, discusses vaccination strategies during restart of cruising


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

All I want to know at this point is who is actually sailing on an unvaccinated ship and are they doing a live thread?

I just looked and the first one I see i Freedom July 2nd but I don't even see a roll call for it.

 

His stance on vaccines is clear but what they are going to do about it not so much

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I did not realize that. So.....adults can go to the theater in AO?

 

If you want to see a puppet show😉

 

Seriously though, they do Family Night movies as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, coffeebean said:

So............how will the vaxxed be identified from the un-vaxxed? Will RCCL resort to ID bands of a different color? Green for vaxxed and red for un-vaxxed. Do you get the significance of the colors?

 

I have no idea, and it's not my job to figure it out. I was just pointing out what Fain said.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Isn't GBS triggered by a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection?  The last place that I would want to be is on an unvaccinated cruise with COVID still about and then there is also a chance of norovirus.

From studies here and abroad there is very little to link the two, if any.

 

People who have previously had Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS)

People who have previously had GBS may receive a COVID-19 vaccine. To date, no cases of GBS have been reported following vaccination in participants in the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials. One case of GBS was reported in a vaccinated participant in the Johnson & Johnson Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine clinical trial (compared to one GBS case among those who received placebo). With few exceptions, the independent Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) general best practice guidelines for immunization do not include a history of GBS as a precaution to vaccination with other vaccines.

 

Also this article informing Dr. A. Fauci that he should retract his warning where he stated that the Covid-19 vaccine should be avoided by persons with GBS in their past.

 

COVID-19 Vaccines and the GBS|CIDP Community - GBS/CIDP Foundation International (gbs-cidp.org)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nanner431 said:

GBS was triggered by vaccinations during his time in the service. Medical advice is to never get vaccinated with any vaccine again. The instance he had was one and only but even I was surprised his doctor did not even hesitate when we asked. The question was barely out of our mouths to ask about vaccine and she said no way no how unless you want to die. So long story short - this condition would only be triggered by vaccinations based on his medical history. Not to say that’s the be all end all answer but he’s comfortable cruising and is public facing everyday at this point. 

COVID-19 Vaccines and the GBS|CIDP Community - GBS/CIDP Foundation International (gbs-cidp.org)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, stowite said:

Actually I think this is how they are going to get around the vaccine passport issue in FL.  The policy will be that everyone gets COVID tested to board but you can be exempted from the testing if you choose to show your vaccine card.  I also think the unvaccinated will have additional COVID testing and that there will be a charge for the testing if you were eligible to be vaccinated and chose not to be vaccinated.

And they could video it like they do the first day activities.  Then show it on an endless loop on cabin TVs so everyone knows who had to be tested and to avoid them....like the plague (sorry had to do that).

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

From studies here and abroad there is very little to link the two, if any.

 

People who have previously had Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS)

People who have previously had GBS may receive a COVID-19 vaccine. To date, no cases of GBS have been reported following vaccination in participants in the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials. One case of GBS was reported in a vaccinated participant in the Johnson & Johnson Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine clinical trial (compared to one GBS case among those who received placebo). With few exceptions, the independent Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) general best practice guidelines for immunization do not include a history of GBS as a precaution to vaccination with other vaccines.

 

Also this article informing Dr. A. Fauci that he should retract his warning where he stated that the Covid-19 vaccine should be avoided by persons with GBS in their past.

 

COVID-19 Vaccines and the GBS|CIDP Community - GBS/CIDP Foundation International (gbs-cidp.org)

Interesting information that I have not seen. I guess it will be up to his doctor to advise on it - she will either have to recommend he get it or substantiate her medical exemption as to why not.  I can understand his hesitation from past medical experience knowing that’s what triggered him almost dying. It’s not even recommended he get the flu shot so this is interesting to see. Definitely going to need another discussion with doctor on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a lot of really ugly remarks here.  These kinds of comments lead to a narrative that is then followed by a group of people who then think they have some kind of right to abuse someone who is different from them.  We've already seen people get beat down in stores for not wearing masks!  Just reported in the news a senior citizen was beat by a well known online company driver and the "narrative" that is being spread all over social media was used as a reason to beat up this woman.  It might sound funny to some, but is that where this is going?  Vaccinated vs unvaccinated?  The cruise lines have this and they will put into place what will be required and then THEY will enforce it.  Some of this sounds like mob mentality. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nanner431 said:

Interesting information that I have not seen. I guess it will be up to his doctor to advise on it - she will either have to recommend he get it or substantiate her medical exemption as to why not.  I can understand his hesitation from past medical experience knowing that’s what triggered him almost dying. It’s not even recommended he get the flu shot so this is interesting to see. Definitely going to need another discussion with doctor on it.

Why would your husband even want to get the vaccine if he has bad reactions to vaccines, with possibly the next shot killing him? I think the odds of getting COVID (extremely low and getting lower everyday) and dying from it are so minuscule I would not like the odds of a vaccine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

I just looked and the first one I see i Freedom July 2nd but I don't even see a roll call for it.

 

His stance on vaccines is clear but what they are going to do about it not so much

 

It was originally Navigator and got switched to Freedom - could be why. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

There are a lot of really ugly remarks here.  These kinds of comments lead to a narrative that is then followed by a group of people who then think they have some kind of right to abuse someone who is different from them.  We've already seen people get beat down in stores for not wearing masks!  Just reported in the news a senior citizen was beat by a well known online company driver and the "narrative" that is being spread all over social media was used as a reason to beat up this woman.  It might sound funny to some, but is that where this is going?  Vaccinated vs unvaccinated?  The cruise lines have this and they will put into place what will be required and then THEY will enforce it.  Some of this sounds like mob mentality. 

 

Well said. Some of the things I hear should be done to those who don't want to be vaccinated are chillingly reminiscent of stuff I'd expect to see in The Hunger Games. What is wrong with some people?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, coffeebean said:

So............how will the vaxxed be identified from the un-vaxxed? Will RCCL resort to ID bands of a different color? Green for vaxxed and red for un-vaxxed. Do you get the significance of the colors?

Actually I think they are using Tracelets in Singapore. Maybe the unvaccinated  will have to wear them or be fined? They aren’t using  on Adventure ( I don’t think?) but it is a fully vaccinated cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

 

I wonder if we could be required to upload pictures or scans of our CDC vaccine cards when we do our Set Sail pass.  

Another thought -- possibly off the wall -- could be to ask vaccinated passengers to upload aa picture or scan to a non-Florida office (is the Oregon call center still open) 

 

This is what I'm expecting. All pax required to check-in online prior to arriving so that they won't be asked for vaccine confirmation at the port.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

 

This is what I'm expecting. All pax required to check-in online prior to arriving so that they won't be asked for vaccine confirmation at the port.

Yes I am sure RC has corporate lawyers, or at least outside counsel, that have been looking at how to work around the FL law but still do what they want concerning vaccinations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Isn't GBS triggered by a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection?  The last place that I would want to be is on an unvaccinated cruise with COVID still about and then there is also a chance of norovirus.

GBS can be triggered by an over exuberant immune system response post vaccination, that essentially creates an auto immune response and the body attacks and destroys the Myelin sheath on the nerves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

Why would your husband even want to get the vaccine if he has bad reactions to vaccines, with possibly the next shot killing him? I think the odds of getting COVID (extremely low and getting lower everyday) and dying from it are so minuscule I would not like the odds of a vaccine. 

Oh believe me he doesn’t based on past experience but in this messed up world right now - who knows what his options will be should we actually want to live our lives. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Arent passengers required to show a passport or BC when sailing from US. Why not the same for vaccine card. Cruiselines can demand it or charge more unvaxed passengers to pay for daily covid tests. You want to cruise without vax, fine you pay for the additional costs

 

Edited by sugcarol
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update from Celebrity - Florida departures have vaccination proof as an optional step. However, they still still sail at no less than 95% vaccinated. You'll pay for your own testing and must wear a mask everywhere outside of meals/drinking and your cabin. If you aren't willing or can't show proof at check-in and that 5% is full, you're not getting on the ship. 

 

 Everywhere else, vaccination proof is required. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Update from Celebrity - Florida departures have vaccination proof as an optional step. However, they still still sail at no less than 95% vaccinated. You'll pay for your own testing and must wear a mask everywhere outside of meals/drinking and your cabin. If you aren't willing or can't show proof at check-in and that 5% is full, you're not getting on the ship. 

 

 Everywhere else, vaccination proof is required. 

I guess they're banking on vaccinated only booking  so it could lead to canceled or rescheduled cruises.  Who knows though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am watching the Tonight Show and Jimmy Fallon's opening monolog pokes fun of Royal Caribbean deciding to sail unvaccinated.  

"Just heard Royal Caribbean will be sailing from the US ports and vaccines won't be required".

"In related news Royal Caribbean will soon be quarantining 1000 people".

"You know you messed up when Carnival is now the classy cruise line".

Huge Jimmy Fallon fan and glad he called out Royal on national television. Royal is making national news now with their controversial decision to allow unlimited unvaccinated passengers on their ships. The comparison to Carnival is just the best!

 

Edited by coaster
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

. If you aren't willing or can't show proof at check-in and that 5% is full, you're not getting on the ship. 

 

 Everywhere else, vaccination proof is required. 

Not exactly sure what that means for sentence #1, what does that 5% is full mean and you aren't getting on the ship?

 

Are you saying the first 5% check in that are not vacinnated get on the ship and all unvaccinated that try to check in after that are not getting onboard and must go home?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not exactly sure what that means for sentence #1, what does that 5% is full mean and you aren't getting on the ship?

 

Are you saying the first 5% check in that are not vacinnated get on the ship and all unvaccinated that try to check in after that are not getting onboard and must go home?

Since these cruises were booked months ago, I suppose they did not limit the 5% at the time of booking. How do you do it now.? First come, first served. If an unvaccinated passenger tries to check in after the allotment is filled, he is denied boarding. Now there is an incentive to show proof of vaccine!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Know for  sure that the Royal no vaccination required news is going out to the general public. Brother called me last night and asked if we are going on the future cruises we booked. He is not a cruise guy and I have never been able to convince him to book one. He just knows I always have future cruises booked and we always sail on Royal. Told him I am unsure if we will keep our cruises as I booked them fully refundable and no FCC's involved. First one is in October and final payment has not been made. Just hoping Royal reverses their decision before final payment is due next month.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Since these cruises were booked months ago, I suppose they did not limit the 5% at the time of booking. How do you do it now.? First come, first served. If an unvaccinated passenger tries to check in after the allotment is filled, he is denied boarding. Now there is an incentive to show proof of vaccine!

This scenario (first 5% then, cut everyone else out) would probably not be very popular.  Since most Suite guests check in first, then Suites would seem to get priority and non-suites would be SOL ?  I can't imagine this working

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...