MSC has announced cruising to begin August 2, Mera and Divina

jules815

16 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

MSC and RCCL are doing things the same way. Neither company has devulged what kind of restrictions there will be.

The technical instructions are pretty clear in what they have to do. How they chose to operationalize those  things is up to them to determine and that's what they are hopefully furiously working on in the background.

Since they are not requiring vaccines, they have the option of segmenting part of the ship for vaccinated guests only. At the most basic level, aside from those areas and outdoor activities, masks and social distancing will be required. It's probably pretty safe to assume they will carry over many of the methods they have used on the new Virtuosa sailings. 

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

So it's I'm all right Jack, they can take their chances!

From what I have seen that attitude overwhelmingly comes form the US, just saying.

It is your responsibility not to step in front of a moving car. (Should everyone not drive?)

It is your responsibility not to sleep on a train track. (Should trains be banned?)

Before I was vaccinated it was my responsibility to wear a mask, face shield, protective gown, gloves, or combination to protect my self.  Social distance.  Avoid crowds.  I did it.

The vaccine is widely available, in Florida you can walk into Publix and get the shot.  If you choose not to, or can't,  that's fine I understand.  But I am not going to lock myself in my house the rest of my life because of it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

So it's I'm all right Jack, they can take their chances!

From what I have seen that attitude overwhelmingly comes form the US, just saying.

As an ocassionally embarrassed citizen of the United States, and someone who has traveled several different continents, I can concur this to be true.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Before I was vaccinated it was my responsibility to wear a mask, face shield, protective gown, gloves, or combination to protect my self. 

Actually.   No.

It was explained to you a million times by the scientists who, I am almost certain by the fact that you are from Florida and talking about other lives not being your problem that you have little respect for in the first place, that wearing a mask did less to protect you ... than to protect your friends and loved ones in case you were asymptomatic and carrying the disease without your knowledge.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

It was explained to you a million times by the scientists who, I am almost certain by the fact that you are from Florida and talking about other lives not being your problem, that wearing a mask did less to protect you ... than to protect your friends and loved ones in case you were asymptomatic and carrying the disease without your knowledge.

Yeah, that's why we all did it.

So you wore a mask inside your own home?

Whatever you say.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

in Florida you can walk into Publix and get the shot.  If you choose not to, or can't,  that's fine I understand.  But I am not going to lock myself in my house the rest of my life because of it.

Good for you but we are talking about a cruise with international guests not Walmart in Florida, some passengers are not us lucky as you or I, they may not be advanced as the US or UK in their vaccination program.
You still don't feel you have any form or responsibility to wear a mask for them? It's very likely a requirement on MSC as it is on the MSC UK cruises, will you refuse or not sail?

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Good for you but we are talking about a cruise with international guests not Walmart in Florida, some passengers are not us lucky as you or I, they may not be advanced as the US or UK in their vaccination program.
You still don't feel you have any form or responsibility to wear a mask for them? It's very likely a requirement on MSC as it is on the MSC UK cruises, will you refuse or not sail?

I will follow the protocols as I have been doing since the beginning.

No, I don't feel I should have to wear a mask for the very tiny percentage that I, being vaccinated, might have the virus and the even smaller percentage, that if I have it I might pass it on.  

we will not get to 100% vaccination, so according to you we will wear masks to eternity.

What a bummer, we were scheduled for 8/21 on Mera. Scheduling with our family is challenging, so I hope I can just get a refund since our money was tied up over a year already.  This would have been our first MSC cruise and in YC.  Maybe some day...

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

we will not get to 100% vaccination, so according to you we will wear masks to eternity.

And what part of what I said eluded to that?
I have never said that and in fact I specifically said:
"We are talking about a cruise with international guests not Walmart in Florida"

Please don't put words in my mouth!

I have not said, and do not think we (especially so, the US) will ever get to 100% we have to lean to live with it but while some countries are struggling to even get their hands on vaccines, allowances have to be made on places like cruise ships for those unable to get vaccinated.

The best we can hope for un the UK is 88% vaccination.

image.png.e917651e01ae51281d7ba6a48c66792a.png

I used Aprils figures as the UK sticks at 88% for for may 31st and the US figures are not available yet. Canada has improved to 18%

image.png.b23b2efe14eba68002cef2a8a15a123c.png

Edited by ziggyuk

I will follow the protocols as I have been doing since the beginning.

No, I don't feel I should have to wear a mask for the very tiny percentage that I, being vaccinated, might have the virus and the even smaller percentage, that if I have it I might pass it on.  

^^^^ x 100%

9 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I have not said, and do not think we (especially so, the US) will ever get to 100% we have to lean to live with it but while some countries are struggling to even get their hands on vaccines, allowances have to be made on places like cruise ships for those unable to get vaccinated.

Come to Florida a couple of days before the cruise and get it.  Readily available.

Oh, I guess you would have to spend 21 days here.  My bad.

We're Open!

Edited by KennyFla

Yeah, that's why we all did it.

Whatever you say.

Wearing a mask in your own home has never been a part of Covid protocol, and you know that full well.

Every time you respond to a comment about responsibility, you reveal cracks in your value system such that you can't even be taken seriously as to take you at your word.  Because all you're doing is searching with a microscope to find little things that can be exploded in to something that looks ridiculous.

It doesn't help your argument.  It just makes you sound typical.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Wearing a mask in your own home has never been a part of Covid protocol, and you know that full well.

Every time you respond to a comment about responsibility, you reveal cracks in your value system such that you can't even be taken seriously as to take you at your word.  Because all you're doing is searching with a microscope to find little things that can be exploded in to something that looks ridiculous.

It doesn't help your argument.  It just makes you sound typical.

I called BS on you for saying masks were promoted solely to stop asymptomatic people from inadvertantly spreading the virus and not for their own protection.

That is absolutely false.

I try to debate with a sense of humor, but forget that some on here don't have one.

• Like 1

This makes me chuckle when I compare it to the comments made by our friend from Florida.

It's from the travel advisory FAQ on the MSC Website:

"...If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard a ship that originated from the U.S., the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to its U.S. port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed. Due to the changing nature of current health and safety protocols, advertising may not accurately reflect the onboard and destination experience, which is subject to change without notice."

If you still think what other people do doesn't matter to you, or what you do is no one else's business you have a distorted sense of reality.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cdc-travel-guidelines

• Like 3

No one has been suggesting this.

Said by no one ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mnpurple said:

What a bummer, we were scheduled for 8/21 on Mera. Scheduling with our family is challenging, so I hope I can just get a refund since our money was tied up over a year already.  This would have been our first MSC cruise and in YC.  Maybe some day...

We were scheduled for September 4, 2021, thought it would surely be a go, worst part was telling husband another cruise is cancelled, he is more disappointed than me, if that is possible. It does say $ can be refunded but you have to wait until FCC is issued. So we wait and wait, again.

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Actually, (and I am not trying to be argumentative) yes it was. We know this because we had Covid and were advised to mask up and isolate if we lived in a multi-generational household with vulnerable people by our local health department. Dr Birx herself said as much to CNN.

This isn’t the first time public health experts have recommended continuous masking indoors. Back in August, Dr. Deborah Birx said in an interview with CNN that those who live in COVID-19 hotspots — or with high-risk individuals — should think about wearing masks in their living space. “If you’re in multi-generational households and there’s an outbreak in your rural area or in your city, you need to really consider wearing a mask at home,” said Birx.

50 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Can someone tell me how a simple thread about the exciting news of an MSC return to service in the US turned into a hot mess mask debate? This is exactly why I left Cruise Critic for awhile. Unbelievable....

It is crazy, isn’t it?!

3 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Actually, (and I am not trying to be argumentative) yes it was. We know this because we had Covid (...)

Yes.   If you have Covid, and you're refusing to get vaccinated, then you would be a good candidate to wear a mask pretty much everywhere you go. 

Well this is positive news so I am thankful. We pushed off our 1st MSC cruise until November so really hoping all this is worked out by then. We are very much looking forwards to a "ship as destination" vacation... and Ocean Cay! It looks gorgeous.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Yes.   If you have Covid, and you're refusing to get vaccinated, then you would be a good candidate to wear a mask pretty much everywhere you go. 

Lol. We had Covid in Dec/Jan before the vax was available.  And point to where I said I wasn't vaccinated. I scheduled all the jabs for everyone in my family, including our moms who are very elderly. I personally got my jabs done by late April. 

Edited by fatcat04

16 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Lol. We had Covid in Dec/Jan before the vax was available.  And point to where I said I wasn't vaccinated. I scheduled all the jabs for everyone in my family, including our moms who are very elderly. I personally got my jabs done by late April. 

I think what MoTown was saying, and I hope he corrects me if I'm wrong, was that for the vast majority of us the general guidelines didn't say you needed to wear a mask in your own home. Your situation of living with at least two or three generations in a single home, while certainly not unique, is not what KennyFla, MoTown, or myself were referring to.

3 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

I think what MoTown was saying, and I hope he corrects me if I'm wrong, was that for the vast majority of us the general guidelines didn't say you needed to wear a mask in your own home. Your situation of living with at least two or three generations in a single home, while certainly not unique, is not what KennyFla, MoTown, or myself were referring to.

And while I understand your point, my response was specific to that definitive and demonstrably false statement that masking in ones own home was never protocol. My post was merely informative and non sequitar to the thread topic as general masking on cruise ships will obviously not involve or be predicated by necessity due to those with active confirmed Covid cases.

You can now return to your regularly scheduled programming. 🤣

• Like 1