PCR test

ATXBecky

I am wondering when Barbados might drop the negative  72 hour PCR test before arrival? Are they going to do that when they have a certain percent vaccinated? I am asking because the timing gets difficult when you are flying to St. Maarten to get on a cruise ship (Summit) Aug 14th, 2021 and flying to Sxm the day before the ship sails. It can be difficult to get test results back. in time. Hoping for a short cut.  Anyway, I wish all  the best to the residents of Barbados.

• 4 weeks later...

You ask a difficult question!

I suspect the answer is...when most of the world gets vaccinated
not just us Barbados islanders, or visitors coming in from outside.

I reckon PCR tests are going to be a travel standard
for at least the next year, if not two!

One day we'll look back at this travel mess and say

Thank God we made it out the other end!

Meanwhile, get yourself vaccinated

and encourage others to do the same.

Artwork.jpg

Mask-up y'all.jpg

SIDEeffect.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for posting these stats…as we will be arriving on 8/7/21 to board the Summit….my question is, are we allowed to take a taxi from the port/airport as well as can we move freely about your lovely island?

On 7/11/2021 at 3:50 PM, cpristash said:

Thanks for posting these stats…as we will be arriving on 8/7/21 to board the Summit….my question is, are we allowed to take a taxi from the port/airport as well as can we move freely about your lovely island?

I think you need to go to  COVID-19 TRAVEL GUIDELINES 2021 - Visit Barbados  and carefully read through all the information (the devil is in the details).  Barbados has very strict procedures (both before you leave home and once you arrive on the island.   Fail to follow their rules and you may find yourself refused entry, quarantined, etc.  

I would also suggest that you again check that same site as you closer to your travel date (probably wise to look just after the 1st of the month) to see if there are modification.  The Barbados Government has been issuing modifications on a regular basis and a few changed words can make a lot of difference.

Having carefully read through their requirements there is no way you can fly-in to the island and simply move about the island until you have been tested (on the island) and received a negative result.  And that assumes you are fully vaccinated and have also complied with their pre flight requirement for a RT-PCR test.

Hank

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Based on various searches, the test upon arrival can take up to 20 hours. Question: where is everyone being kept until the results are known? Glancing at the current (July) travel guidelines, there are no special provisions for cruise ship passengers, it appears that everyone is stopped at the airport.

We are planning on arriving in Barbados three days before our cruise Jan 2.

I hope one PCR test before arrival  will work to land and board the ship.

Things are changing daily and not in our favor sadly.😟

On 8/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, katiecat said:

We are planning on arriving in Barbados three days before our cruise Jan 2.

I hope one PCR test before arrival  will work to land and board the ship.

Things are changing daily and not in our favor sadly.😟

Jan. 2022 is still a ways away! - four months.

More people (globally) will be vaccinated by then (everywhere)

and hopefully a meaningful winding-down of Covid-19/20/21/22(by then)
might be underway...

"Keeping an ear to the ground" is all we can do!

Recent vaccinations stats on the island...look like this.

We have about a third of the population vaccinated now.

I see a Pfizer effect!

Check out that steep pale green line for first-timers

Doubtful that's Sinopharm....

25th. August 2021 - PFIZER EFFECT.JPG

25th. August 2021.JPG

August 25.jpg

19 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Jan. 2022 is still a ways away! - four months.

More people (globally) will be vaccinated by then (everywhere)

and hopefully a meaningful winding-down of Covid-19/20/21/22(by then)
might be underway...

"Keeping an ear to the ground" is all we can do!

I pray covid-19 gets under control real soon. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So here we are in October and you still need the PCR test.  The same folks who thought things would change last year still sit at home wondering when things will change.  Others, like us, just comply with the rules and travel/cruise.  We are in Barbados where the nurse that did our mandatory swab told us she now thinks this is the new normal… and we agree.

Hank

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So here we are in October and you still need the PCR test.  The same folks who thought things would change last year still sit at home wondering when things will change.  Others, like us, just comply with the rules and travel/cruise.  We are in Barbados where the nurse that did our mandatory swab told us she now thinks this is the new normal… and we agree.

Hank

Hi Hank. We just booked a cruise on RCL for Jan. 30th and have been reading all the rules. So you got a PCR before you left home - within 72 hours of flight - took vaccine card and negative test to airport. Had another PCR at the airport and then HAD to go to a hotel for 2 nights before the cruise so they could email you results that you took to the ship? Did your ship also do a test on you at boarding because that's what Royal is saying they do. That's a lot of tests!

On 10/7/2021 at 12:45 PM, saltshell said:

What is the protocol when cruising in for the day ?

This is our question as well. We board the ship in St Maarten and will arrive in Barbados on the 3rd day of the cruise. Testing from before we left home will have expired (we are spending 2 days in St Maarten pre-cruise) and the cruise line (Windstar) is doing a pre-boarding antigen test (not PCR).   I can't get answers around the need for a PCR before arrival into Barbados. 

(And our final payment is due in a few days....)

If I am reading this correctly, according to the latest information (found here: https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-19-travel-guidelines-2021) we will need a PCR test within 3 days of embarkation to enter Barbados for the day. Rapid antigen tests (or home tests) are not allowed.  I believe Royal currently requires a negative test within 2 days of boarding but most do the at home or rapid test as getting a PCR back within 24 or 48 hours is tough right now.  We sail to Barbados in Dec and I am wondering if we will have some itinerary changes if some of the islands policies don't change.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.25.15 PM.png

• 1 month later...

@Aplmac  Thank you so much for your notes recently.  I'm aware of Seabourn and TUI currently sailing from Bridgeport.  In December, RCL, Sea Dream, Regent, MSC, Windstar, Star Clipper and maybe others will be starting up.   And with so many resorts on the island, there seems to be thousands flying in to enjoy the area. 

So what is the airport like?  How are they handling the testing requirements?  Is they a major delay in getting out?  Do you know if they are rejecting people on a regular basis due to incorrect tests or not using the BIMSafe ?  Is there a second chance testing site  that can be used?  Do you know of any other issues or problems for people coming in same day for a ship's departure?