Jump to content

Hotel Service Charges


wesport
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I received and email from Windstar that has the all included price of $89 per day pp. In the breakdown, it stated the hotel and beverage service fees are $22.35 per day.  That’s $156 pp for a seven day cruise. 

Edited by wesport
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found that confusing as well.  Here is what I think the breakdown is:

 

Beverage Package:                                   59.00

Beverage Service Charge(15%)                8.85

Unlimited WI-FI                                          35.00

Laundry                                                         8.00

Gratuities(HotelFee)                                 14.50

 

TOTAL                                                        125.35

 

If you get the all in one package the pro-rated discounted costs are:

 

Beverage Package:                                   41.89

Beverage Service Charge(15%)                6.28

Unlimited WI-FI                                          24.85

Laundry                                                         5.68

Gratuities(HotelFee)                                 10.30

 

TOTAL                                                        89.00

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The beverage package plus beverage and hotel service charges are $82.35. The All-in-package is $6.65 more which is slightly less than the laundry charge and a lot less than unlimited WiFi. So, it's a good deal if you would otherwise buy the beverage package and either unlimited WiFi or laundry.

 

The beverage package daily break even is about 5 drinks if you tend toward drinks that are near the package max ($11.50 per drink). Obviously, it takes more drinks to break even if you tend toward beer, the daily cocktail and other less expensive drinks (there are a fair number that cost around $8.50). Some people like to get it even if they aren't at break even so they don't have to sign for drinks.

 

Note: if you take a Cruise Collector, laundry is free. Sometimes a sale has included free WiFi as one of the perk choices. Also, depending on your Yacht Club status, laundry and wifi are free or discounted. For 4 star Yacht Club, the All-In package is never a deal since we get free WiFi and laundry and 10% off on the beverage package. The 3-star level gets a 5% discount on the beverage package and 10% off on WiFi and laundry - at that point, the All-In package is cheaper than getting the beverage and WiFi separately but not cheaper than beverage and laundry separately. The All-In package has no loyalty discount. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps there should be a loyalty discount for all in.  Those all in features are often standard on other cruise lines. 
free WiFi for all should be a standard feature on any cruise.   If Windstar improved their WiFi , they might attract more guests.   
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Perhaps there should be a loyalty discount for all in.  Those all in features are often standard on other cruise lines. 
free WiFi for all should be a standard feature on any cruise.   If Windstar improved their WiFi , they might attract more guests.   
 

They have improved their WiFi. I used it last January/February on a cruise with several sea days and was pleasantly surprised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The “All In” packages offered by many cruise lines today are not marketed to bargain hunters who are looking for a deal - just like the high end exclusive lines are not looking to market to bargain hunters.

These packages - just like the high end cruises - are offering CONVENIENCE, not bargains.

If you don’t want to have that “Nickel and Dime” feeling, you can buy one of these packages, or book an all-inclusive cruise.

If you want to save a buck, then book a bare bones cruise and pay as you go.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 3:58 AM, Donald said:

The “All In” packages offered by many cruise lines today are not marketed to bargain hunters who are looking for a deal - just like the high end exclusive lines are not looking to market to bargain hunters.

These packages - just like the high end cruises - are offering CONVENIENCE, not bargains.

If you don’t want to have that “Nickel and Dime” feeling, you can buy one of these packages, or book an all-inclusive cruise.

If you want to save a buck, then book a bare bones cruise and pay as you go.

 

Since everyone pays the service fee, add it into the cruise fare makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Since everyone pays the service fee, add it into the cruise fare makes sense.

Wrong.

Not everyone pays the service fee.

Even if they did and the cruse line added it to the fare, those fares would appear higher than the fares at cruise lines that did not add it to the fare.

No cruise lines will do it unless all the cruise lines do it.

That's never going to happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

 

Lines that now include gratuities in their fares include Azamara, Crystal Cruises, Ponant, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours, Seabourn, SeaDream Yacht Club, Silversea and Virgin Voyages.

Edited by Nearpost345
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

 

 

Lines that now include gratuities in their fares include Azamara, Crystal Cruises, Ponant, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours, Seabourn, SeaDream Yacht Club, Silversea and Virgin Voyages.

Now give us a list of cruise lines that DO NOT include the gratuities in their fares.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The luxury lines have more fare inclusions than the mass market lines. Fares include gratuities on all four luxury lines. Celebrity, who is I guess premium mass market (feel free to correct me,) has made some moves toward more inclusions. 
 

Windstar’s market lies somewhere in the middle. Perhaps they are asking whether changing would be positive or negative. I just filled an email survey asking this very question. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

“No cruise lines will do it unless all the cruise lines do it.

That's never going to happen“

 

no need to apologize Donald

My apologies.

Most cruise lines will not do it unless all the cruise lines do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 5:30 AM, Donald said:

My apologies.

Most cruise lines will not do it unless all the cruise lines do it.

Nearly all non-mass-market, or higher end, cruise lines include gratuities in their fare (see the list above).  Cruise lines like Carnival, NCL, RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, MSC, Costa, etc., do not.  Windstar should see themselves as higher class than those mass-market lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

I also received the survey. I do not want to have to pay for what I do not use; ie. alcohol, wifi, etc. I would rather pay on board for what I use as I use it.

Everyone uses the services of the crew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...