It's finally the news you have been patiently waiting to hear.

bajathree

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Here is the wording on the Celebrity website updated yesterday, June 9th covering vaccination requirements from all US ports including Florida. There is nothing about recovered Covid passengers being exempt from the new protocols so it should assumed vaccinations will be required for them as well.

"Following CDC guidelines we will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated.

All guests age 16 and above must be fully vaccinated (at least two weeks prior to sail date). As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated.

Acceptable proof of vaccination must be in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by the country’s health authority or healthcare provider that administered the vaccination.

For Sailings from Florida–If you decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding, you will be treated as unvaccinated and you will be subject to additional costs, restrictions, and protocols that we will advise you of as soon as they have been determined".

**Update: I found it and shared link in another comment…I just can’t erase this quote/inquiry**

Could you provide a link to this updated statement? I was just on the “healthy at sea” portion of their website and do not see this language re: FL sailings. (I’m on my iPad…maybe the mobile site wasn’t updated?)

Edited by PAGA
Found info I requested

7 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Until they know how many proven-vaccinated passengers are sailing, they will not be able to know how many people the "5%" is.  

True.  The math problem.  They said trust them so lets see.  They must have some way of knowing.

6 minutes ago, PAGA said:

Wow - Celebrity really buried the addition of the FL proof of vaccine updated language. It is not on the “healthy at sea” page accessible from the banner at the top of their homepage. I had to go in “travel requirements by country” and select US. https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Edited by PAGA

6 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

True.  The math problem.  They said trust them so lets see.  They must have some way of knowing.

Just for fun, thinking about this week's Milli St Maarten sailing of approx 600 passengers, that would allow only 30 passengers without proof of vaccination.  Not a lot.  I hope those stiff necked coots among us (I include myself!!) won't mess things up for the rest of us.  

I know that St. Maarten doesn't have the same law that is causing the problem, and that other ships might have larger numbers, but this was just for fun.  30 children, people with medical issues, people with religious issues, and just plain curmudgeons -- Celebrity will reach that limit very quickly!

19 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Until they know how many proven-vaccinated passengers are sailing, they will not be able to know how many people the "5%" is.  

3 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

OK. I'll bite. Let's say Celebrity allows folks to start checking in 2 weeks out via the online check-in process. At that point they should know how many passengers are booked.

For example, lets say 1,000 passengers have PIF. That would equate to 950 "vaccinated" slots and 50 "unvaccinated" slots. Now, regarding the "unvaccinated" number. That number would automatically be reduced by the number of children booked on the cruise that would not qualify for getting vaccinated. In this example, let's say that number is 10 children. That would leave 40 first come, first serve "unvaccinated" slots available. What am I missing?

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK. I'll bite. Let's say Celebrity allows folks to start checking in 2 weeks out via the online check-in process. At that point they should know how many passengers are booked.

For example, lets say 1,000 passengers have PIF. That would equate to 950 "vaccinated" slots and 50 "unvaccinated" slots. Now, regarding the "unvaccinated" number. That number would automatically be reduced by the number of children booked on the cruise that would not qualify for getting vaccinated. In this example, let's say that number is 10 children. That would leave 40 first come, first serve "unvaccinated" slots available. What am I missing?

What is the cutoff time for online check in?  I always check in as early as I can since I usually drive to port.

1 hour ago, BrendaJ said:

I think there is a very easy solution to the Florida ban.  This is I what would put in Celebrity’s rules:

Celebrity cruises welcomes all passengers and vaccination is not required.

The following rules are in place on board as health precautions:

1. Masks must be worn in all public areas at all times.  When eating, masks must be pulled down only to allow food to enter the mouth, and must be put back in place while chewing. 
  2. Dining and entertainment will be restricted to outdoor venues. 
  3. Passengers must present themselves to the ship’s medical officer at 5:00 a.m. daily for a COVID test.   This test will cost $500 per person per day, payable by the passenger.  Any passenger testing positive for COVID will be quarantined in the brig until the next port, where they will debark.  Repatriation is at the passenger’s expense. 
  4. No passengers will be permitted to debark the ship at ports, to protect the health of our destination populations, except in the case of rule #3 and the end of the cruise.
  5. Celebrity will provide an orange hat to all passengers, which will include a device sounding an alarm when less than 6 feet of distance is maintained with other passengers and crew.   This hat must be worn by all passengers at all times. 

The above rules apply to all passengers.

Children under 12, and passengers volunteering to show proof of full vaccination will be exempt from the above rules and will have full access to all ship venues and ports.

Shorter version:

Upon boarding all passengers shall proceed to their assigned stateroom.  Passengers who have voluntary shown proof of vaccination, choose to show such proof upon reaching international waters, or are under 12 years of age may leave their stateroom and enjoy the entire ship.  All others shall enjoy the cruise from their stateroom understanding that no crew member or other guest may enter their stateroom for any reason.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

And I hope that the FDA issues full approval based on the test results and not on political pressure.  Until approval is granted, the political and social pressure on the public to take the EMERGENCY vaccine is misplaced, in my never humble opinion.

These vaccines will have the most information that any in history have had when fully approved. You will not only have the clinical trial data, but real world data with 10s of millions and with multiple variants. Going through the VAERS data will take longer than the submission itself.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

And I hope that the FDA issues full approval based on the test results and not on political pressure.  Until approval is granted, the political and social pressure on the public to take the EMERGENCY vaccine is misplaced, in my never humble opinion.

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/emergency-use-authorization-vaccines-explained

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For those that are interested, an article was just posted on the FB Royal Caribbean blog entitled "Florida fires back at CDC in lawsuit trying to get cruise ships sailing again". Yawn ...

Hopefully, the judge will make his decision shortly. One can hope anyway. 😎

Now the court case is in the judge's hands ...

Florida's cruise lawsuit against CDC to get judge ruling soon | wtsp.com

Interesting start to the hearing today. I don't think the hearing in general will have any immediate impact on sailings (particularly as the losing side will appeal), but color me unsurprised that the FL government is caught grandstanding and trying to politicize the issue...

The hearing started with Judge Merryday calling out the state for making incorrect public statements about mediation. Last week, the Governor’s Office made comments that an impasse had been declared.

Judge Merryday said that is not true, and that mediation is ongoing. He asked the state how the incorrect statement was made, and how things got released to the public from within mediation. The state’s attorney said he believed it was a misunderstanding. Judge Merryday then made it clear that both sides have a right to confidentiality, and that if it happens again, he will investigate.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, cwayne said:

This study had over 52,000 people in that had had covid.  If I had had covid and gotten over it and my own body produced antibodies then I wouldn't get the vaccine and risk the side effects.  You get the vaccine to protect you from someone who is infected.  I'm sure that things will be modified as it goes along.

you get the vaccine to protect yourself from the virus, you get the vaccine to protect your family and those around you.  Getting vaccinated is also a social responsibility, IMHO

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

C'mon, I barely remember what I ate for breakfast, let alone what I wrote in a post yesterday! ☹️Nevertheless, here's an abbreviated version of what I do remember.

IMO, the major problem has been backlogged shipments from manufacturers. Both Pfizer and Moderna have failed to meet their commitments, for a variety of reasons, but unlike other commodities, Canada couldn't simply turn to other manufacturers. 

One result was the decisions to delay second shots, following the UK example. Consequently, we have a decent number of people with 1 jab, but few with 2.

The good news is that Pfizer and Moderna have both started to play catch up, with large shipments finally coming our way. The result is that there's a noticeable uptick in the number of people getting 2nd shots of late, and people are increasingly able to book appointments earlier than their original ones. My sister, for example, received her 2nd shot last week, although her original appointment wasn't until mid-July. A big plus is that polls show a high percentage of Canadians want the vaccine, so our fully vaccinated numbers should eventually be very good.

I supported the Bruins, but we will be on opposite sides of the fence in the next round if you are getting behind the Golden Knights. Go Habs Go!

I'm glad for Canada that things will catch up.  Congrats to your sis.  Les Habitants are lucky to have you in their corner.  Hope paths cross n a cruise someday.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I just booked an Alaska cruise with Celebrity agents over the phone this week.  Nobody asked about my vaccination status.  Maybe it is only a question for FL cruises?

You are correct. Since your ship will sail from here in Washington State we have no problem requiring cruisers to prove they are vaccinated. 

In fact, this entire thread is really only about Edge our of Ft. Lauderdale for now. St. Maarten, The Galapagos, Seattle, Athens have no problem with people having to prove that they are vaccinated. 

5 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

You are correct. Since your ship will sail from here in Washington State we have no problem requiring cruisers to prove they are vaccinated. 

In fact, this entire thread is really only about Edge our of Ft. Lauderdale for now. St. Maarten, The Galapagos, Seattle, Athens have no problem with people having to prove that they are vaccinated. 

I'm interested in your opinion.  Do you believe the vax issue will be moot come Nov 1, or do you suspect without an absolute clean slate between now and then that CDC will extend the CSO framework?  

Edited by marieps

32 minutes ago, marieps said:

I'm interested in your opinion.  Do you believe the vax issue will be moot come Nov 1, or do you suspect without an absolute clean slate between now and then that CDC will extend the CSO framework?  

Unless things change dramatically around the world, which is rather unlikely this year, considering the number vaccinated in many countries.

I would expect the CDC to extend the CSO since after all cruises are international.  

1 hour ago, drarill said:

you get the vaccine to protect yourself from the virus, you get the vaccine to protect your family and those around you.  Getting vaccinated is also a social responsibility, IMHO

If you've had covid and have the antibodies, why do you need to get the vaccine to protect yourself from the virus.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  I even have a couple of my local Drs who have had covid and do not feel the need to get the vaccine at this time.  

There seems to be too much "obey" and get the vaccine.  Not sure that one size fits all.  

1 hour ago, marieps said:

I'm glad for Canada that things will catch up.  Congrats to your sis.  Les Habitants are lucky to have you in their corner.  Hope paths cross n a cruise someday.

Thanks. And as an added bit of personal good news, DW and I were able to secure 2nd shot bookings next Wednesday, six weeks ahead of our original appointments. Enjoy the playoffs, and I too hope we cross paths on a cruise some day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks. And as an added bit of personal good news, DW and I were able to secure 2nd shot bookings next Wednesday, six weeks ahead of our original appointments. Enjoy the playoffs, and I too hope we cross paths on a cruise some day.

Good for you and wife!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auntiemomo said:

If you've had covid and have the antibodies, why do you need to get the vaccine to protect yourself from the virus.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  I even have a couple of my local Drs who have had covid and do not feel the need to get the vaccine at this time.  

There seems to be too much "obey" and get the vaccine.  Not sure that one size fits all.  

Maybe because no one knows for sure how long the antibodies last?l And nobody knows how long the vaccine last. Have a friend who works for Holland America, got COVID on the flight home from the infamous Zaandam last cruise, but he still got the vaccine. His job is to travel so not taking any chances.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

many reasons to get vaccinated, ranging from what's best for you to what's right for all of us.  Some people have social conscience and responsibility and some don't. Still, from the medical point of view, getting vaccinated after contracting the virus is the right decision.  https://twitter.com/i/events/1403058860722593792?s=20

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/05/21/998639795/coronavirus-faq-i-had-covid-should-i-get-the-vaccine?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by drarill
  • Like 4