Anyway to register without downloading the Medallion app?

Jemnibabe

7 hours ago, caribill said:

An updated Princess Q&A says:

Prior to the cruise departure, using the MedallionClass app, guests will be required to attest that they will be fully vaccinated at time of embarkation. This means completing all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation. Guests should be ready to show original proof of vaccination at cruise check-in.

We’re requiring all guests, no later than midnight before their sailing date, to complete online check-in and select an arrival time using the MedallionClass app.

you should receive a notification to complete your health questionnaire from 72 hours before you embark the ship, using the MedallionClass app. You’ll be asked to complete the questionnaire before leaving home to begin traveling on your vacation, and then reconfirm your answers when arriving at the port.

None of the Q&A indicate there are exceptions for those without access to the app or that will be a separate line at check-in for those who did not have access to the app.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

Thanks for bringing attention to the June 17 update. Certainly more definitive than the previous FAQ or a Princess spokesperson's Facebook reply on June 15 "If your device is not compatible for the MedallionClass app, another good option is to ask for assistance from a traveling companion or family member. If you are still unable to do so, you will still be able to board and our Navigators at the port will assist you with all final check-in requirements."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

I have still not seen anything in writing stating at a later date we would be able to print our luggage tags from the Personalizer.  As far as I have seen, every printed direction from Princess says we must do EVERYTHING from the Medallion.  Am I missing something?

The post right before yours shows that you will be able to print out luggage tags but that they may not be available yet.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 1:44 PM, san diego sue said:

Okay, I just had to try it on my new phone. Works the same as the old one, still has the cancelled cruise (which hopefully will come off this weekend as per Princess) and not able to access any of the new 6 cruises I have booked. So upgrading to 11.0 did nothing.Well, I do like my new phone anyways.There will be lots of angry customers if they go out and buy new phones and still doesn't work.

Been there. Replaced my Android 6 with 11 and still can get the app to work. When I go into my first cruise for 1/4/22, it says I'm completing information for my 4/4/22 cruise. Got the medallion ordered for April and that's it. Nothing for anything else I try to do.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

The post right before yours shows that you will be able to print out luggage tags but that they may not be available yet.

Maybe I didn't state my question clear enough.  I understand luggage tags are not available yet but when they are available, will you be able to print them from the PERSONALIZER?  Everything I have seen says you must do everything on the Medallion app

2 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Maybe I didn't state my question clear enough.  I understand luggage tags are not available yet but when they are available, will you be able to print them from the PERSONALIZER?  Everything I have seen says you must do everything on the Medallion app

I am guessing that since the web site Personalizer has the luggage tags and travel summary in the same section (and you can print the travel summary from the web site any time), that the luggage tags will likewise be printable from the web site. I'm guessing....  🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

How do you print from the "app" ?

Glad you’re here. 

The Personalizer has a link to print your Travel Summary and closer to sail date a link will be added to the Personalizer to print luggage tags. I asked A Princess agent. 

Any thing you are unable to complete can be completed at the terminal. There will be agents there to assist. 

Edited by dog
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

I am guessing that since the web site Personalizer has the luggage tags and travel summary in the same section (and you can print the travel summary from the web site any time), that the luggage tags will likewise be printable from the web site. I'm guessing....  🤔

That does make a lot of sense and I do like your "guessing.  Thanks for totally answering my question

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dog said:

Glad you’re here. 

The Personalizer has a link to print your Travel Summary and closer to sail date a link will be added to the Personalizer to print luggage tags. I asked A Princess agent. 

Any thing you are unable to complete can be completed at the terminal. There will be agents there to assist. 

Thank you so much for your response.  I sure hope Princess follows through

5 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

That does make a lot of sense and I do like your "guessing.  Thanks for totally answering my question

You're most welcome. I try not to speak in absolutes without knowing all the facts, so I just make a reasoned "guess" when needed. 😉 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 12:09 AM, caribill said:

Yet this is the "official" policy set forth by Princess which states in bold print that the documents must be signed "no later than 24 hours prior to sailing ."

I have yet to see a slide that says otherwise.

image.png.89b40138cce73a22c811c265435566cf.png

I received another call back from Princess customer support concerning the "Risk Acceptance Policy". As previously mentioned early on this thread, I said I was not using the medallion class app and wanted to know if I should have concerns about this risk policy when I show up at the cruise terminal. She said no problem as I will be able to accept it and fill out all necessary check in forms when I arrived at the cruise terminal to board the Majestic Princess in October. I felt a lot better hearing this from customer support. Just thought I would pass along this information for all us non app-ers.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I E-mailed a couple of the execs on the list posted earlier on this thread about my concerns about not having an acceptable smart device to run the app for entering required pre-cruise information.

Today I received a call from a nice person at Princess who told me the following:

o There are no current plans to restore the Personalizer functionality that has been removed. In the future Princess might evaluate the relative cost of using the Personalizer to enter in required pre-cruise information vs. the cost of losing customers that do not have access to current smart devices that can run the app.

o Although having a smart device is not required during the cruise, access to one pre-cruise is required in order to provide Princess with all your needed information.

o If you do not have access to a smart device that can run the app, you can call Princess and some, but not all,  of the required information can be entered by the Princess rep over the phone.

o The rest of the required information can be provided when you check-in for the cruise. But if you are unable to provide a needed piece of information at that time, you will be denied boarding.

o The future is marching towards smart devices and away from desktops, even if the customer finds using the smart device is harder, takes longer, and is more prone to data entry errors than using a desktop keyboard.

o If you have a smart Android or Apple device with an "obsolete" operating system, you should download a newer, acceptable version of the operating system. (I am not familiar enough with smart phones/tablets to know how easy/difficult this is or if it is even possible to do this. I only know that all the CC posts I have seen about this say they purchased a newer phone/tablet with nobody posting that they were able to download a newer operating system.)

She also provided some information about dining, although she indicated this was what the status is today. It might change tomorrow or the next day or.....

o Physical distancing will be the rule in the dining rooms, so you will likely only be able to be at a table with those in your traveling group. This may mean that a couple traveling alone may only be at a table for two, even if there is room for more people at the table.

o Eating at the buffet will require an appointment to do so.

Again, this is of today. Tomorrow = ????

If you are concerned about being able to prepare for your cruise without access to a device than can run the app, I suggest sending an E-mail to people on the exec list that was earlier in the thread. Maybe with enough requests, they may do something about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

Eating at the buffet will require an appointment to do so.

Now that is just dumb.  We prefer the buffet as we are not big eaters.  And, we eat when we feel the urge and not when we have an appointment.  Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Buffet appointments --- this is the first I have heard of this.  Thanks for the "heads up." 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Now that is just dumb.  We prefer the buffet as we are not big eaters.  And, we eat when we feel the urge and not when we have an appointment.  Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Buffet appointments --- this is the first I have heard of this.  Thanks for the "heads up." 

I hate to buffet so I will not be reserving - I would rather have a small breakfast at the IC or room service

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Agree, it's just dumb but hopefully (even if completely true - and I don't doubt that's what caribill was told), it's temporary until they get quite a few cruises under the belt in the coming months and figure things out. What's seems even more dumb is... well... I've complained enough about cramming the MC app down their customers throats without notice and at some point, maybe evaluating the cost of losing customers versus restoring the web site Personalizer. Like you said, Ugh!!!!!

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

I received another call back from Princess customer support concerning the "Risk Acceptance Policy". As previously mentioned early on this thread, I said I was not using the medallion class app and wanted to know if I should have concerns about this risk policy when I show up at the cruise terminal. She said no problem as I will be able to accept it and fill out all necessary check in forms when I arrived at the cruise terminal to board the Majestic Princess in October. I felt a lot better hearing this from customer support. Just thought I would pass along this information for all us non app-ers.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Thank you so much for posting this. 

Best to get the word from Princess. Had enough of the guessing & speculation & hearing that something in print was going to keep us off the ship. 

A few of us have been given the same answers as you. 

39 minutes ago, dog said:

Thank you so much for posting this. 

Best to get the word from Princess. Had enough of the guessing & speculation & hearing that something in print was going to keep us off the ship. 

A few of us have been given the same answers as you. 

dog, I forgot to mention this, the nice lady from customer support also reminded us to bring our vaccinated documents showing we received both doses of the vaccine. She assured me their would be no problem boarding the ship because we didn't use the medallion app for our check in registration. 

I hope more people complain about being forced to use this app so we can have the option of using our personal computers for check in purposes. I'm glad to hear other people are getting the same answers for not using the app to board their future cruises. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

I was also told this by a Princess customer rep. However I will not start my trip without having this assurance in writing. In fact I will not post final payment without this assurance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caribill said:

I E-mailed a couple of the execs on the list posted earlier on this thread about my concerns about not having an acceptable smart device to run the app for entering required pre-cruise information.

Today I received a call from a nice person at Princess who told me the following:

o There are no current plans to restore the Personalizer functionality that has been removed. In the future Princess might evaluate the relative cost of using the Personalizer to enter in required pre-cruise information vs. the cost of losing customers that do not have access to current smart devices that can run the app.

o Although having a smart device is not required during the cruise, access to one pre-cruise is required in order to provide Princess with all your needed information.

o If you do not have access to a smart device that can run the app, you can call Princess and some, but not all,  of the required information can be entered by the Princess rep over the phone.

o The rest of the required information can be provided when you check-in for the cruise. But if you are unable to provide a needed piece of information at that time, you will be denied boarding.

o The future is marching towards smart devices and away from desktops, even if the customer finds using the smart device is harder, takes longer, and is more prone to data entry errors than using a desktop keyboard.

o If you have a smart Android or Apple device with an "obsolete" operating system, you should download a newer, acceptable version of the operating system. (I am not familiar enough with smart phones/tablets to know how easy/difficult this is or if it is even possible to do this. I only know that all the CC posts I have seen about this say they purchased a newer phone/tablet with nobody posting that they were able to download a newer operating system.)

She also provided some information about dining, although she indicated this was what the status is today. It might change tomorrow or the next day or.....

o Physical distancing will be the rule in the dining rooms, so you will likely only be able to be at a table with those in your traveling group. This may mean that a couple traveling alone may only be at a table for two, even if there is room for more people at the table.

o Eating at the buffet will require an appointment to do so.

Again, this is of today. Tomorrow = ????

If you are concerned about being able to prepare for your cruise without access to a device than can run the app, I suggest sending an E-mail to people on the exec list that was earlier in the thread. Maybe with enough requests, they may do something about it.

Dining first.  It sounds to me like the individual who called you doesn't really know or understand.  No way I can fathom that buffet dining is going to be "by appointment".  As for the social distancing at tables in DR, this only makes sense for the very initial cruises prior to NOV or end of year.  They have separately said that fully vaccinated guests don't need masks and social distance.  Has to be short-term info I am thinking.

On the devices thing, normally devices update automatically to whatever O/S is made available.  Owners may have option to accept/defer/deny, but my experience has been the updates come automatically, so I would not be offered an update my device won't support.

Back to dining, it is too bad there was nothing said about table inventory on future cruises and selection of table size.  But it also didn't sound like the woman who called you was expert in that area.

I gather it was not one of the execs themselves who called you back.  Thanks for sharing the info.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

dog, I forgot to mention this, the nice lady from customer support also reminded us to bring our vaccinated documents showing we received both doses of the vaccine. She assured me their would be no problem boarding the ship because we didn't use the medallion app for our check in registration. 

I hope more people complain about being forced to use this app so we can have the option of using our personal computers for check in purposes. I'm glad to hear other people are getting the same answers for not using the app to board their future cruises. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Oh thanks. The agent did not tell me that. We are all vaccinated with Pfizer 2 shots now and have digital and paper forms from our Government Health Dept. our government is working on an app for our proof, as well. 

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Dining first.  It sounds to me like the individual who called you doesn't really know or understand.  No way I can fathom that buffet dining is going to be "by appointment".  As for the social distancing at tables in DR, this only makes sense for the very initial cruises prior to NOV or end of year. 

To me those rules only make sense with unvaccinated passengers.

Since Princess is basically requiring all cruisers this year to be vaccinated, they make no sense.

But, as I said, that is what they say today. Tomorrow may be different.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, voljeep said:

How do you print from the "app" ?

You print to your wireless printer at home on your WiFi network.

If you don't have a wireless printer or home WiFi network, ask a relative or neighbor to use their's (please note the dripping sarcasm here, lest anyone think I am serious).

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Thank you for that.

I am really not a rabble rouser, but everyone who doesn't have a Smartphone (or whose parents don't have Smartphones and anyone else you know without one who cruises) should be contacting higher level Princess executives to tell them this policy is nuts. Tell them politely, but in no uncertain terms it is a bad policy.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Dining first.  It sounds to me like the individual who called you doesn't really know or understand.

Executives don't call back. They have people for that.

And the person who called sounds like someone from the Princess Executive Escalation Team and they are the most highly informed and trained people Princess has, far more in tune with what is happening than most front line workers. If they say buffet will be by reservation, I'd say you can take it to the bank.

It actually makes sense because the buffet is most likely to go from 90% self serve something very different and that will require extra people and they want to be able to distance too.

Or so I think.

Edited by scottca075